headlight mod!!! [1996-97 single beam to 1998-00 dual beam] - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds like I've got some homework ahead and that it isn't an easy plug n play setup. But this helps me prepare for it. I'll start gathering the parts and checking with electricians. Daniel Stern seems very knowledgable. He pointed me down this path. And I look forward to hearing about PeralRav4's experience.
Thanks,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to pearlrav4 Send a message via Yahoo to pearlrav4
(Thread Starter)
HEADLIGHT MOD!!!!!

JON

Looks like this mod is not all that difficult as far as a friend of mine told me.

Aparently the 97y has H4 and the 98-200y has Hb4 h3.

This is quite simple...what is done is the 97y uses three wires(hi, lo and earth) the 98-2000y uses four wires, one is hi and ground and the other low and ground) simple what needs to be done is three wires are converted to four wires,
find the hi beam wire then the low beam wire from the H4 harness after you have done that connect them.

then the two earth from each bulb (HB4 and H3) respectively ground to the body.

Plain and simple some guys want to make this so complex.

Sure!!!!!!!!!I already have the headlights,wiring harness for the headlights(which i got from a 98y RAV4),bulbs and yes...crystal clear turn signals which i am going to re route my parklights from the headlight to the clear turn signal so it looks like the 98y also the wedge bulbs for the parklight will be replaced using LED super bright instead of those stock ones.

All in all everthing is there and i have time on my hands now so off i go as soon as i am done i will post some pics or send them to your email.
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

LED lights are garbage for lighting things up. I wanted to use the signal lights as driving lights, but would have to switch around the wires, having the blinking go from bright-dim-bright instead of the other way around. I tried cutting the wires and switching them but that didn't work. I do have a white LED in the corner of the bumper light just for looks.

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
HEADLIGHT MOD!!!!

Hi guys

I had my headlight mod made but i ran into a problem...........i can get only hi or low on not both on hi beam!!!!!!!!!!

I think i may need to get some special wiring..

Let me ask you guys do the 98-2000 headlight on hi beam all four lights stay on or the low beam goes off when the high beam comes on?

anyone!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

PEARLRAV4
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Yahoo to peterpogi2005
i have it so that the lo beam stays on when the hi beams are on. i think it's something in the harness wiring that makes it like this. those '98 lights would be useless on hi beam if the lo beam wasn't on!!
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
HEADLIGHT MOD!!!!

PETERPOGY

I know its useless having these work that way.

Is there another way to wire it? should i take the power for the low beam from a different source?

I wired another way with both coming on but it very dim not as bright as it should be.

Regards

PEARLRAV4
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

What you really want to do is use relays and use the harness as a switch for the relays (Dont forget to use a 30A FUSE in between the battery and relays.......)

you currently have 3 wires :

1. Power - LOW BEAM
2. Power - HIGH BEAM
3. Ground - BOTH

you need - (As best i could come up with - if anyone has a better solution let me know and I will edit this and remove the pic)

3 relays are required - one for the low beams only, 2 for high and low beams... this is the only solution I could think of....

If you are still having difficulty with this it is time to take it to an autoelectrician........

---- edit ----

ALSO - If you later wanted to add DRIVING lights to this setup, you could just wire them in with the HIGHBEAM POWER wire (The new one after the relay)

Keep on RAVin.....
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
PeralRav4,

From what I have gathered, AussieRAVer has it right. I'm not at all savvy in this area, so I contacted Daniel Stern: http://www.danielsternlighting.com. He is an expert in auto lighting. Although located in Canada, he has answered questions from the NHTSA in Washington on this subject. When I initially asked him about generally improving the lighting for our '96 Rav, his quick response with knowledge specific to this application really impressed me. One of the options he suggested was to convert to the '98 -'00 year lights and use HIR bulbs.

Daniel has a harness builder that may build me a harness. If not, he will sell me a kit with instructions and all of the necessary parts. He points out that the lights from the Rav4s for our years are starved for power, so an upgrade to a new harness with relays is necessary for the new lights/bulbs. You may want to contact him if you are having troubles. I will report my progress here once I get everything together.

Jon
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Yahoo to peterpogi2005
a new harness with fat wires directly from the battery to the lights via two heavy duty relays.... yap, that's basically what i was advised by the local "experts".. i just used the hi & lo beam wires to drive the new relays (those OEM harness wires are so THIN!!!).. it was a piece of cake to install too!

to tell you the truth, i'm not so impressed with the beam pattern of the '98 style lights.... if i hadn't busted the internals of one of my '97 lights i wouldn't have changed them!! and the bulbs you use have a big impact too. i put the normal h3 & hb4 bulbs in there & took them back the day after & exchanged them for a set of super expensive xenon types which did seem to give a lot more light!! i don't know what type the OEM are but i could ask.. you could always put higher wattage bulbs but i'm not sure what would be the maximum before the reflector (it's only plastic) would start to melt.. or a set of HID's if you can afford them.

anyway, i added some clear type fog/offroad lights to light-up the sides of the road for when i drive around in the province. i'm still not happy, but i don't have budget for HID's or other monster lights!!
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

For little driving lights I got some Pilot small rectangular ones and put them in my front bumper = $20. Then I bought 100W bulbs and put them in = $14. Its SO bright. I stood outside with them on for the first time and I couldn't stand to look near the front of the car Lights up the side of the road, the road in front, and everywhere else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page