First DIY Transfer Case Fluid Change (w/ Pics) - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 AM
ZAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks looks like mine was nearly full.
I drained it into a clean container considering reusing it.

I didnt use the alan key drainer i used the side plug.

It came out except for about a litre which I collected when i puleld the tailshaft out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a brilliant post, because of all the details. Which way to turn the drain plug and where to find the dipstick are invaluable points. Keep up the good work
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 PM

This is awesome. I'll be doing this soon. Thanks for the instructions!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4nucrewprod4 View Post
Hello everyone,

I decided to tackle the next project on my 2000 rav4, which was change the transfer case fluid. I didnt even know I had one till I read Haynes Manual and I didnt even know where it was till I researched this forum. I know it hasnt been changed in over 70,000 miles so I def. wanted to do it. So here are things I used to change the fluid:
1. 10qt oil catch pan w/ screen
2. Rags and big piece of cardboard
3. 1 qt. of GL-5 Coastal SAE 75W-90 gear oil
4. 10 mm hex wrench
5. Lubricant spray just in case bolt was rusty
6. 10ft of clear tube 3/8 inch thick (You dont need 10ft, but it was a good deal. Id say you need about 2 1/2 to 3 feet.
7. THE ALMIGHTY HAYNES MANUAL (even though they were very vague about the transfer case). To be honest I didnt even use the manual for this, but I always keep it handy just in case.

To start, I checked the transfer case dip stick, which is located behind the passanger side tire. If you turn your wheel all the way to the left you can see it sticking out. The owners manual and haynes manual dont even mention a transfer case dipstick. The right amount of oil is in the case, but the oil itself is dirty. Here is a pic from behind the wheel, under the car and then the dipstick.

After finding the location of the dipstick and checking the fluid level and quality, its time to find the drain plug. Its basically between the transfluid pan and the motor oil pan. Its right near the exhaust pipe, so if u follow it under the car you'll see it.

Now, its time to drain the old fluid. A strong turn clockwise and the drain plug is turning. THe drain plug had some gunk on it, so I cleaned it before putting back. I wanted to check how much fluid was in there so I know about how much to add. The haynes manual says 0.7 quarts, but i wanted to make sure. So i took an empty motor oil quart and put the fluid in there. The motor oil quarts have the measurements on the back so you can see how much oil is in it. The old oil filled about 3/4 of the quart so Haynes manual was about right.

After draining and putting back plug, its time to add the fluid. Now Im pretty sure there is a check/fill plug somewhere, but after reading horror stories about how difficult it is to find or get to, i decided to add the fluid through the dipstick, just like the transfluid. The dipstick is kind of hard to get to because of the distance, so this is where the clear tubing comes into play. I didnt find a need to raise the car or remove the wheel. I try and avoid excess work if its truely unnecessary. I dont think i'll even raise my car, unless i need to rotate tires or check brakes. ANyway, I used a 2 1/2 foot piece of clear tube. The squeeze bottle fits perfectly into the tube. I put rags under the area just in case I overfilled it or the tube came out. I also put the cardbard under this area too. Since the gear oil doesnt have the measurements on the back like the motor oil, it is kind of difficult to figure out how much 3/4 or 0.7 of a quart is. So every once in a while, I would take tube out, let it settle and check with the dipstick. I would add fluid until it got to the right area.

I must say, Im new to all this fluid changing stuff and this was a pretty simple, easy and quick project. I hope you all enjoy!!
Why do turn the plug clock wise?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is this the same, and required, on a UK manual 1998?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhu View Post
I bought my 99 RAV4 (used) about 18 months ago and already added 20K miles on it, it recently started to make a "Da, Da, Da" noise when I start accerlating from stop, it happens very occasionally, and I also hear occasional high pitch rotational noise - it seems to be from driver side front (listening while I am driving).
masterhu, About that sound, does it feels like the gears are slipping while having vibrations? Like the car's not getting the speed it deserves until it gets hold of something for a while then gets back to being normal after having a momentum?

I am having troubles on my auto trans as well. My rav's not smooth on acceleration from dead stop if I put my foot quickly down on the gas pedal, it goes like nuts.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 AM
pvq

Awesome Post. THANK YOU! This is just what I needed! One Question. the nut it CLOCKWISE to loosen? Is this nut an exception to the "righty tighty lefty loosey" rule?

Thanks
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good day all. New guy here. Just bought a 2006 AWD for my daughter.

Is the transfer case gear oil swap similar on the 2006?

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

MVP Track Time
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4nucrewprod4 View Post
Hello everyone,

I decided to tackle the next project on my 2000 rav4, which was change the transfer case fluid. I didnt even know I had one till I read Haynes Manual and I didnt even know where it was till I researched this forum. I know it hasnt been changed in over 70,000 miles so I def. wanted to do it. ..............

I must say, Im new to all this fluid changing stuff and this was a pretty simple, easy and quick project. I hope you all enjoy!!

This IS .......................... AWESOME !!!!
I just need to figure out what is the best viscosity of oil I should use. .... and the confusion about turning the drain bolt clockwise to open it??
I will be using Synthetic.

Also the filler plug where fluid is put in, what are the horror stories with that?
I guess I need to find the 2 and a half feet clear pipe somewhere to fill in from the dipstick.

It has been 8 years since this post. I wonder if the OP even has his RAV4 and even exists on this board anymore. LOL.

1998 RAV4 - 275k miles
All USA/CANADA roads/trails - Done
ALASKA till Arctic Ocean - Done
BAJA Mexico - Done
FUTURE --> Tuktoyaktuk and Siberia
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
It's past time for me to do mine again (AWD, Automatic). I did the refill through the dipstick tube way back when, so I should have the requisite tube and funnel somewhere. I remember it took a long time to refill due to the low slope and thick gear oil.

Anyone know if the 4.1's auto's transfer case is just a "straight differential" (between the front and rear), or if there's a clutch-pack, etc. ("limited slip") in there?

-----------
LugNut
2000 RAV4.1 L, rare Special Edition w/ Leather, AWD
All stock except stereo system, subwoofer, dash cam,
turbo exhaust, outdoor air temp gauge, louder horns, extra ground wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page