Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rav4 with TRD Supercharger

43K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  taken 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

Just wanted to share this lil project of ours. Mounting a TRD Supercharger to my Gen2 Rav4 2.0 Manual Trans. We had to get another type of starter assembly for this project. The OEM starter of the Gen2 Rav4 is bigger than that what we replaced it with. From what I know the starter assembly we used was from a Camry. Final power output after the install was 180whp.

Its not much to look at right now because of he multi colored silicone hoses and dirty engine bay.. but we plan to beautify it before we enter it in a car show by November. Right now Im testing the current set up. Exterior was maintained for a 'sleeper' look but if the performance itch starts up again I might replace the hood or open it up for the intercooler to get some needed fresh air :)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The name of the shop which did this set up is called Speedlab.. They used a piggyback ecu called Unichip Q4.. The TRD Supercharger was designed for the Scion with a 2az engine.. so they did the modifications to make it fit the 1az.. I think they got it from the States.. Instead of replacing the injectors they just added a 5th one for additional fuel purposes.. The TRD Supercharger was orginally designed NOT to need an intercooler.. however, I live in a tropical counrty unlike the states where it is significantly cooler thus the need to put that surplus intercooler from a toyota MR2 (or Pajero).. its the only one small enough to fit on top without doing much cutting or splicing the exterior.. I didnt want to touch the exterior of my car because I value its pristine condition.. Even after 17 years it hasnt been into any accident whatsoever..

Before we did the supercharger set up.. we made sure to check and resolve potential issues to the engine, suspension and transmission.. Speedlab's facebook page has some videos of the engine prep they did :)

#6 ·
When we first ran the Rav4 without the intercooler, initial feedback was fine and it was able to reach the 180whp on the dyno during the first few runs.. but after that power dropped significantly and idle started to be erratic.. so we decided to put in an intercooler.. no more issues with the idle and power drop was minimal..

However I do agree that opening up the hood to feed air to the intercooler would be better.. its just a matter of trying to accept foregoing with the sleeper or stock look.

#8 ·
I`m actually doing the same thing! :) I bought a used TRD supercharger kit for the Scion TC from the states. I do not planning on using a intercooler.
I have 500cc injectors I`m planning to use , also got the Unichip Q4 module, but I had to modify it to fit the 1AZ-fe ECU. ( I have the 2AZ-FE engine with BC stage 2 camshafts )
The supercharger is mounted in the car now, but I have to order the special bolt on the pully bracket that needs to be changed to a button head bolt so the belt will have enough clerance to it.

I also had to change the starter, I ordererd a starter from the camry with the 2az-fe engine, fit like a glove.
I also had to cut the wire bracket of the gearbox mount and move the wires.

Great to hear someone else also did this build on a Rav4 :) Please add more photos of the setup

#9 ·
my previous set up included the following:
1. K&N Typhoon Kit
2. Hotpipes headers
3. Tanabe Hyper Medallion for Rav4 Gen2
4. Unichip Q (the older version)

dyno result after tuning was 122whp.. but that was on a different dyno from another shop.. Speedlab didnt have a 4wd dyno at that time

Attachments

#16 ·
I admire all of the time, work, and money you've put into this. But all of this for a measly 180 HP? I just don't understand. A turbo Corvair from the 1960's put out that kind of horsepower........I don't get it. No disrespect intended.

#17 ·
That's how much horsepower he is making to the wheels. Crank horsepower would be higher. Not saying it is justified or anything. Just that he's probably making 211-236hp at the crank (15% - 20% drivetrain loss). I'd be a hypocrit saying it's a waste of money anyways. :laugh

#18 ·
Wheel horsepower does make a big difference, I didn't think that through.

Having said that I just saw a video of a stock looking older Civic making making 500+ at the front wheels. It's also a daily driver. If you're gonna do it then go nuts.

#24 ·
Took the liberty to attach pictures with the possibly correct aspect ratio. I think silver engine cover looked better, as color red can be ricy sometimes hehe. How much did the whole project cost? I am considering a supercharger for my 2006 Rav4 2azfe too. Thanks!

Please delete last post, I couldn't edit it for some reason

#26 ·
Just an update guys.. after 3 years since supercharging the engine.. i decided to change some internal parts as i noticed significant back pressure and smoke.. better to be preventive than curative 🙂

Display device Electronic device Technology Output device Computer

the rav4's making 196whp right now.. short of 4whp to 200whp 😅

added some ultraracing bars (malaysian brand) in the front and rear.. oh and i went with the air suspension route from one of the up and coming local builders here in the PH.. ftmnt or fitment engineering on fb / fitmentv on youbtube 🙂

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive lighting

Trunk Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Alloy wheel

#27 ·
Wow guys, some awesome looking RAV's here!

Been looking to buying a Toyota for a while and after trying out the previous gen RAV I went for an Avensis T25 2.0 manual. Had to fix some stuff, but really love that car.

Came across this (older) topic through Google and made an account here. Curious as if anyone reading this has any experience with Supercharging (or +Turbo) an 1AZ-FSE in a Avensis like mine?

Hope to hear! As well as any updates or perhaps a sound demo on your awesome RAV?

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.