Lift Issues - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ebertbn
(Thread Starter)
Lift Issues

Hey team,

I have had an OME lift on my 4.2 for a little over a year now and I am experiencing some issues. The main thing is that there is a lot of creaking and squeaking, pretty much all the time. This could have to do with the fact that most of the bushings and stuff are still stock (140k miles). Is that normal?

Also, I was under the impression that the lift would keep my drive line geometry within a relatively manageable spec, but I am starting to have issues with my CV axles. I know that they can go bad due to lifts, but I thought the OME would be relatively worry free. Is this normal?

I also replaced the endlinks on all 4 corners at the same time, but the front ones seem to be completely shot. All 4 ball joints on the front end links are very greasy, as if their boots have busted. I haven't had time to get it up and look at them, this is just from cranking the wheel around and looking at them from the ground. I know that many hard core off roaders with dedicated vehicles remove the sway bars to increase articulation, but as this is my daily driver, that isn't really an option. Could the increase in ride height and articulation cause my end links to blow out prematurely? Has anyone else had this issue with their lifted 4.2? Fortunately they are only like $20/side so not bad to replace, but maybe there is a fix w slightly longer end links?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Bushings and end-links need to be replaced on any vehicle. If the end-links you installed are greasable like Moog, it's not abnormal if they are greasy. When they are filled, grease may get out of the boots. I personally deleted my end-links and sway bars for better off road articulation.

For the lift; I have OME springs + 40mm spacers since about 3 years... and still no problem with my CV axles... I only replaced two front CV boots. My RAV4 is at around 168,000 miles on the clock.

2001 with 2.4 swap + RAV4.1 transmission (4.93 final drive ratio), RAV4.1 locking center differential, Lexus RX300 limited slip rear diff , Celica GT4 stage 1 Exedy clutch kit, 3" lift kit, Old Man Emu coil-springs, sway-bars delete and BFG MT KM2 235/70/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page