TEKSMRT's 2009 V6 4WD Sport SAP build - Page 9 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSMRT View Post
Just saying this out loud... I'm able to advance timing more with 93 without knock than 87, only because 93 burns slower am i able to get more hp while the timing is advanced.

87 = Xhp
87 with timing advance (knock and reduced hp) xhp
93 = xhp
93 with timing advance = XXhp > 87 @ Xhp

I'm no tuner but this was our experience while tuning my Rav4.

Makes perfect sense.

If I was 40 years younger I would be looking for the Toyota OEM Supercharger available for the v6.

https://www.trdusa.com/superchargers.html

Not sure if my stock v6 could take the abuse but......

Tom

2010 RAV4 Limited 4WD V6 Blizzard Pearl

The mountains are calling and I must go ------ John Muir

Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis!
The Following User Says Thank You to Climbitnow For This Useful Post:
TEKSMRT (04-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbitnow View Post
Makes perfect sense.

If I was 40 years younger I would be looking for the Toyota OEM Supercharger available for the v6.

https://www.trdusa.com/superchargers.html

Not sure if my stock v6 could take the abuse but......

Tom
Ha...age doesn't have anything to do with it. My uncle is early 70s and still builds hot rods and I'm nearly 40 myself. It's just a passion and hobby.

Engine most likely would be fine. I'm finding that the limitation is the transmission. Doesn't like heat, high rpm and more than stock HP/TQ. Luckily it can be modded as well but usually the last to get attention...as in my case. I've added a remote stacked plate transmission cooler and added a shift kit to compensate for the tranny not wanting to shift at the higher RPM and under load. Shimming the accumulators has quickened and firmed up the shifts but nothing like a built IPT or Level10 transmission. When this one fails me, I'll get either of the two companies to build a solid trans with a higher stall converter and built valve body. Or... an E154F manual transmission swap...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD SAP

.. too many mods to list ...Custom cold-air intake with heat wrap---Cat-back custom dual Magnaflow exhaust with staggered quad tips---R9KTuned ECU... list goes on and on..
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Ha...age doesn't have anything to do with it. My uncle is early 70s and still builds hot rods and I'm nearly 40 myself. It's just a passion and hobby.

Engine most likely would be fine. I'm finding that the limitation is the transmission. Doesn't like heat, high rpm and more than stock HP/TQ. Luckily it can be modded as well but usually the last to get attention...as in my case. I've added a remote stacked plate transmission cooler and added a shift kit to compensate for the tranny not wanting to shift at the higher RPM and under load. Shimming the accumulators has quickened and firmed up the shifts but nothing like a built IPT or Level10 transmission. When this one fails me, I'll get either of the two companies to build a solid trans with a higher stall converter and built valve body. Or... an E154F manual transmission swap...

Agreed, I was just a mopar fan and street racer back in the late 60s and early 70s. My 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 v8, stock semi-high rise intake manifold, stock dual point distributor, stock high flow exhaust manifolds, positraction, 3.91 rear end, high performance moded torqueflite trans with manual shift and high stall torque converter, no A/C no power steering. Back in those days there was a lot less traffic....I beat almost everyone by pulling away at the top end.

Great memories!

Good luck with all your mods.

Tom

2010 RAV4 Limited 4WD V6 Blizzard Pearl

The mountains are calling and I must go ------ John Muir

Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis!

post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
We have an 09 RX350 that has the same engine as my RAV and inside the fuel door it says something like 91 octane recommended 87 octane minimum so it does seem with just higher octane and tweaking Toyota squeezes that extra bit of power in the Lexus models.

I have a tune by R9KTuned as well and have been running premium fuel. We didn't talk any specifics at all he just sent me an ECU that was tuned. Rev limit seems to be 7100 but only in manually selected gears. Have a few performance items such as intake/exhaust but when I drive the Lexus it still feels a little quicker at times. Wondering if it is the different transmissions. I haven't done any actual testing 0-60 etc.. so it might be in my head. Hard to think a much heavier Lexus with less power would be quicker. I also may have a cat issue on my Rav, noticed when I rev high I get that rotten egg/sulfur smell. When I had my exhaust made I opted to keep the secondary cat in place. Car has 105k miles and the previous owner certainly didn't drive it hard. I'm averaging about 14-17 mpg with mixed driving more city which also seems pretty low as the Lexus averages 18+ in the same conditions.

How many miles did your car have when you picked it up, what kind of mileage you seeing and do you think my cat might be clogged and a culprit for the low mileage and not feeling as quick? My exhaust sounds good, i'd link a video but stupid restrictions on posting links/images. due to my post count. Anyone know how many posts before I can link/post pictures?

'11 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

What was the shift kit you added?

2008 V6 Sport 2wd (The Daily)
2002 S10 V6 ZQ8 5spd (The Backup)
1987 Craftsman Riding Mower (The Hot Rod)
post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRavTime View Post
What was the shift kit you added?
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/3048-zip-kit

I'll be honest, I still get occasional flares when the trans hasn't got up to optimal temperature. I do feel it's better than before. Shifts did firm up a tinsey bit with just the kit. But what really helped was shimming the first two accumulators to 1/3 their spring travel. Used about 5 fender washers the first time to test the theory and then added a solid spacer with a washer to get to 1/3. 1/2 would have worked probably and maybe I'll try that next time I'm feeling jumpy. Lol.

.. too many mods to list ...Custom cold-air intake with heat wrap---Cat-back custom dual Magnaflow exhaust with staggered quad tips---R9KTuned ECU... list goes on and on..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TEKSMRT For This Useful Post:
BlueRavTime (04-27-2019), Myxalplyx (04-27-2019)
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
https://www.sonnax.com/parts/3048-zip-kit

I'll be honest, I still get occasional flares when the trans hasn't got up to optimal temperature. I do feel it's better than before. Shifts did firm up a tinsey bit with just the kit. But what really helped was shimming the first two accumulators to 1/3 their spring travel. Used about 5 fender washers the first time to test the theory and then added a solid spacer with a washer to get to 1/3. 1/2 would have worked probably and maybe I'll try that next time I'm feeling jumpy. Lol.

Thanks dude. I was looking at the Transgo shift kit before this, need to compare since this one is quite a bit more expensive than the Transgo.

2008 V6 Sport 2wd (The Daily)
2002 S10 V6 ZQ8 5spd (The Backup)
1987 Craftsman Riding Mower (The Hot Rod)
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
This is an awesome read. I have nothing to add.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I received my Ceika coilovers today and I picked up the megan racing rear camber arms but wondering what you used for the front. Should I pick up some bolts for that as well?

'11 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas456 View Post
I received my Ceika coilovers today and I picked up the megan racing rear camber arms but wondering what you used for the front. Should I pick up some bolts for that as well?
Nice! Post up pics when u get them. For camber adjustments up front I used two sets of camber bolts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page