Options and accessories - electrical issues - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have the ‘07 RAV4 Sport. It does have the JBL system. The new stereo is a Pioneer AVX NEH1440.
I would guess that the tech. here would have checked the ground, since possible battery issues are one of the first things we looked at, but I will pass this along just in case. I appreciate the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumberger View Post
I have the ‘07 RAV4 Sport. It does have the JBL system. The new stereo is a Pioneer AVX NEH1440.
I would guess that the tech. here would have checked the ground, since possible battery issues are one of the first things we looked at, but I will pass this along just in case. I appreciate the suggestion.

JBL system is not the usual radio in a sense that volume control is located in the 'amplifier' that is not part of head unit and located somewhere in the back of the car. Stock HU 'reads' controls from its face/steering wheel but the actual thing that changes the volume is in that amplifier. Stuttering sound is a problem very specific to JBL system due to this design and if you search this forum you'll find quite a few cases all leading to replacement/repair of the amplifier. As you probably see now replacing HU wouldn't fix this issue.
Dashboard lights going wild most likely are not related to this, that sounds like a bad contact somewhere and the tech's idea about bad ignition switch might be in the right area especially if the switch physically supplies +12V to the car computer. I don't have service manual so this is just an idea. If ignition switch supplies +12V not directly but by turning on some relay then I'd replace that relay and let you drive the car for few days: with intermittent problem they don't have much else to go with and relay replacement is quick and cheap 'substitute'. The error codes stored might simply be side effect of 12V turning ON and OFF in rapid sequence due to bad contact, I doubt they will lead them anywhere.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm back again.
We've been through the paces and still cannot discover a solution. On top of that, the sun roof developed a leak. I am rather, "done" with this particular vehicle. I have found a 2011 Rav4 and am currently negotiating a buy-back. One of the bigger sticking points for me is the fact that the 2011 has cloth seats while my 2007 had leather. It's not a huge deal, but leather is just so much easier to keep clean.
The retail value for upgrading to leather, as far as I have been told, is $1499.00. At the last, I was offered a discount that would lower my cost to $900.00. It's still a bit steep for me.
My question (and perhaps it's indicative of my naivete when it comes to cars) is, can they not take the leather seats from the 2007 and put them in the 2011? They are both 4.3s as far as my research shows, and of the same build. This seems a logical fix to me, but there may be a plausible reason why it's not possible.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumberger View Post
I'm back again.
We've been through the paces and still cannot discover a solution. On top of that, the sun roof developed a leak. I am rather, "done" with this particular vehicle. I have found a 2011 Rav4 and am currently negotiating a buy-back. One of the bigger sticking points for me is the fact that the 2011 has cloth seats while my 2007 had leather. It's not a huge deal, but leather is just so much easier to keep clean.
The retail value for upgrading to leather, as far as I have been told, is $1499.00. At the last, I was offered a discount that would lower my cost to $900.00. It's still a bit steep for me.
My question (and perhaps it's indicative of my naivete when it comes to cars) is, can they not take the leather seats from the 2007 and put them in the 2011? They are both 4.3s as far as my research shows, and of the same build. This seems a logical fix to me, but there may be a plausible reason why it's not possible.
The problem is if you have the leather with power seat option then you can only swap it to another car that also have power seats.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
And regardless would you want to take a chance with anything from the 2007? You have electrical problems which may be a bad ground. Although the chances are beyond remote, remember that there are electrical items in the seats (airbags, hearers, power elements, weight sensors) and grounds. ANYTHING could be affected in the 2007. Although remote, would you want to take a chance? I’d follow Paul McCartney and let it be. Besides $900 buys a LOT of interior shampoo jobs.

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

Easy now, it's actually our 3rd Toyota!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate all the advice.
Neither vehicle has power seats, heated seats, lumbar controls, etc.. I’d not given consideration to weight sensors or grounds.
My hope was that my loss on a buy-back and the refinancing of a new vehicle could be offset by an upgrade (or at least a deep discount for an upgrade) and the leather seats were the only option I’m giving up that I really don’t want to lose. The $900.00 mark was their first offer. I was hoping for a much better discount once the home office was dragged into the fray.
All that being said, I spent a couple of hours with sales staff, account managers, and shop personnel yesterday and have warmed my way (or, as they might see it, wormed my way) into their hearts. We are now at a $0 balance on the buy-back and refinance with a matching interest rate on the same loan term. When I joked that my new payment was about $.30 higher per month, the account manager said that they could fix that too. At this point, a discount offer on their part would only serve as a placebo to ease my mind over the inconvenience of the past few months, and I doubt that I have much more bargaining power. One can only hope that the new RAV4 doesn’t hold any deep, dark secrets.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Sounds like you’re happy with yesterday’s outcome. Glad to hear it!

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

Easy now, it's actually our 3rd Toyota!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page