Solace for the four banger - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Solace for the four banger

I was, until encountering this amazing forum, the proud owner of a 2012 sport rav4 (in mint condition, with only 30,800 miles total on it to date). This car is equipped with the blue tooth, rear view mirror, moonroof, but without a third row.
I was happy with it until I started reading more about the amazing powers of the v6 and the fact that 2012 was the last year to offer a v6 rav4... Such is gosh nature, always yearns to that which can no longer be attained.
I do 90 percent city driving, no towing and no mountainous terrain.
For a fleeting moment I thought about trading my mint condition vehicle for a similar v6, but do want you to talk me out of it (paid for my car so have no debt on it)
I believe that there is no way I'd find a v6 that is a clean a my 4cyl since I practically drove it nominally.

PA My dashboard mpg says 20.5 although I believe it's inaccurate, please tell me if you have had the same issue with the dashboard mpg meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
You need to test drive a V6 to find out yourself before making a final decision. I have the V6 and the only complaint is the pedal response. It is sticky and can jerk so that is very annoying. Since you do mainly city driving you should be ok with your current car. The V6 only makes you want to speed if you can't help yourself since it very quick.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
The Following User Says Thank You to DL175 For This Useful Post:
docoftheworld (04-27-2019)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're doing a lot of stop and go your mpg will suffer. Go for a 2 hour highway ride and that rate will skyrocket.

Correct on not being able to find a v6 with mileage like yours. The power of the V6 is awesome and that's what sold me, but my normal commute is highway and country roads of 45/55. I get a lot of chances to stretch its legs! In the city the power isn't utilized, so if my commute was a lot of stop lights and 25/35 the V6 wouldn't have been a big factor.

No need to get rid of your current ride, with such low miles that car will last forever! If you need to fill a speed void then just get a second car to enjoy

*| -= 15 Riviera Red on Black GS350 F Sport =- | -= 03 Intensa Blue IS300 5spd =- | -= 12 Mica Rav4 V6 awd =- | -= 99 Black Turbo ZX2 L10auto =- |*
The Following User Says Thank You to AzzurriAltezza For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Unless your other car has a prancing or galloping horse on it, or if you plan to tow a medium sized camper, Iím sure youíll be happy in the long term with your 2.5. Iím a leadfoot sometimes (prior Mustang ownership for many years) but we were in a similar position with our 2012 a year and a half ago. I wanted a V6, in anything really, but found that compared to my 5 year old RAV with only (then) 76,000 km, there was very little in my price range. We were leasing it and I was trying to decide to keep it or trade on something with a V6.

I found that the only thing close to my buyout value was a 2010-12 Hyundai Santa Fe with at least 120,000 km. In other words, no newer and likely older, and more used up for the same money. That made my choice simple. I then perused this forum to see what was needed to help my RAV go above and beyond to last me for another 15 years.

Iím keeping up on the maintenance and rust proofing, and have a B&M transmission cooler (70268) arriving tomorrow. That with a full fluid change out (poor manís flush, search the forum) will help immensely. Ultimately if I need a ďzippiness fixĒ I can take my wifeís Golf out and use Sport mode on a back road. Otherwise the 2012 FWD Base RAV4 we have (touring package) is enough vehicle for me. Maybe someday Iíll add a Pioneer head unit and screen headrests, and those coveted heated seats, but itís still good like this. Iíve hauled renovation supplies, carted away my old shed in bits, pulled more earth, gravel, and paver stones than I care to remember (and more to cone this year) and it still keeps going. And yes, Iíve stayed within the GCWR by taking half loads in my trailer. If I need to carry more, I have my old Ranger to use (which will soon relieve the RAV from working duties anyway)

My advice: especially with that few miles on it, keep it, care for it, and give it an honourable burial in 30 years.

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

Easy now, it's actually our 3rd Toyota!
The Following User Says Thank You to Foryota For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
I was, until encountering this amazing forum, the proud owner of a 2012 sport rav4 (in mint condition, with only 30,800 miles total on it to date). This car is equipped with the blue tooth, rear view mirror, moonroof, but without a third row.
I was happy with it until I started reading more about the amazing powers of the v6 and the fact that 2012 was the last year to offer a v6 rav4... Such is gosh nature, always yearns to that which can no longer be attained.
I do 90 percent city driving, no towing and no mountainous terrain.
For a fleeting moment I thought about trading my mint condition vehicle for a similar v6, but do want you to talk me out of it (paid for my car so have no debt on it)
I believe that there is no way I'd find a v6 that is a clean a my 4cyl since I practically drove it nominally.

PA My dashboard mpg says 20.5 although I believe it's inaccurate, please tell me if you have had the same issue with the dashboard mpg meter.

Try to test drive one to see if your dream is anywhere close to reality. For what it's worth I have 2011 V6 as my RIP 2003 Maxima had similar engine so I got used to it and I4 would feel 'under-powered' during test drive for me. V6 gets around 20 mpg on a 10 mile city daily commute based on odo readings and fill up volume. The only times I need its power is on hwy ramps going uphill or to pass someone on a hwy. OTOH and I know it I4 would get me to the same place practically at the same time anyways. V6 has transmission whine problem and I4 has stripped head bolts as potentially costly repairs.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to max5gen For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max5gen View Post
...and I4 has stripped head bolts as potentially costly repairs.

Based on reports across the forum, I thought the 2.5 was damn near perfect with almost no issues. Does this ďstripped head boltsĒ problem affect the 2.5?

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foryota View Post
Based on reports across the forum, I thought the 2.5 was damn near perfect with almost no issues. Does this ďstripped head boltsĒ problem affect the 2.5?

I don't know- until now I was under impression all I4 were affected just from reading the forum but I could very well misunderstood the scope of the problem as Toyota might have addressed it in later years.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to max5gen For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Ok. Going to look into this a bit. I already had a new cylinder head at 56,000 km for a manufactured defect, so my top end was rebuilt by hand and should be ok. BUT one can never know, if the torque spec was too high. Just what I needed, more things to look into!

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

The Following User Says Thank You to Foryota For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The threads on here suggest the head bolts was a 4.2 problem: https://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-...head-bolt.html

If someone does more research, that might be good. Looks like there's a relatively inexpensive fix anyways.

2012 RAV4 Sport I4
The Following User Says Thank You to firestarter99 For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I bought my 4 cyl 2012 in 2014 with 35,000 kms on it. I was also looking for a V6 mainly to pull some type of camper I didn't have yet. Never found a decent deal on a V6 model but this 4 cyl fwd went up for sale in a neighbor's driveway, so I bought it up quickly as I knew the owner to some degree and saved about $10k over new. Never looked back, very satisfied, now with 105,000 kms with just regular maintenance. The vehicle is used for anything from city driving to exploring every nook and cranny of Newfoundland; 6600 km road trip, pulling 1000lbs of firewood, small boat or a light tent trailer. Fuel consumption varies from 8.2 litre /100 km to 9.7. Sure I'd like a little more power on long highway hills or two lane passing but very adequate overall.

The stripped head bolt issue occurred with some earlier years of the 2.4 not the 2.5. It was actually the threads in block that would let go of some of the head bolts and cause the head gaskets to leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas123 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page