Looking to buy a V6 Rav4 2008 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Looking to buy a V6 Rav4 2008

EDIT: Forgot to add that this is a Canadian model (not sure if it makes a difference)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and RAVs in general.

I went and test drove one yesterday (2008 RAV4 V6 Base) and I really liked it! Loved everything about it except that the car produced a very high pitched whining noise when driven. Unfortunately, the test drive wasn't long enough for me to do some extensive testing but I did note that it was there sometimes (depending on the speed) and sometimes not. The pitch did change with RPM and the whining noise was completely gone when I put the car in neutral at speed and revved it. It seems to only produce the whining noise when youre engaged in gear.

Does anyone know what this may be and whether it's a cause for concern?

Thanks

Last edited by Shamusodoofus; 05-08-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: More information
Shamusodoofus is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
Country: DL175's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 320 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamusodoofus View Post
EDIT: Forgot to add that this is a Canadian model (not sure if it makes a difference)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and RAVs in general.

I went and test drove one yesterday (2008 RAV4 V6 Base) and I really liked it! Loved everything about it except that the car produced a very high pitched whining noise when driven. Unfortunately, the test drive wasn't long enough for me to do some extensive testing but I did note that it was there sometimes (depending on the speed) and sometimes not. The pitch did change with RPM and the whining noise was completely gone when I put the car in neutral at speed and revved it. It seems to only produce the whining noise when youre engaged in gear.

Does anyone know what this may be and whether it's a cause for concern?

Thanks
I guess you have not done much research on this car yet. The whine could be either the transmission or differential whine.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
DL175 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL175 View Post
I guess you have not done much research on this car yet. The whine could be either the transmission or differential whine.
Thanks. Based on what others have said about transmission or differential whine, it seems that they are both costly fixes.
Shamusodoofus is online now  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM
Your Humble Administrator
Country: JuneBug's Flag is: United States
 
JuneBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 16,193
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Thanks: 642
Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,795 Posts
Garage
The transmission whine on the V6 starts at about 40 mph and does not change pitch. It will come and go when you lift off on the accelerator and then get back on it. The whine is just an annoyance and doesn't cause any problems. Toyota modified the transmission with specially honed gears to eliminate the noise. I had mine changed under the power train warranty at 19K miles and the new transmission has never whined.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.
__________________

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"


JuneBug is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Shamusodoofus (Today)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member
Country: ROLLTIDE's Flag is: Canada
 
ROLLTIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks: 33
Thanked 106 Times in 91 Posts
I have a 2009 V6 Sport and the best car ever. No whine. Lotsa wine. Maybe keep looking for another model as it's a great vehicle and lotsa fun. I have 170K on mine and no major repairs. Getting the spark plugs replaced is a $500+ cost.... thanks Toyota for burying those little f**kers deep inside the engine that needs to be partially removed to replace a lightbulb.... but other than that.

Besides ANYTHING beats buying the 2019 RAV ..... Toyota's homage to the AZTEC. Butt ugliest car 'Yota has EVER released and I thought 2013 RAV4... ie the Hyundai knock-off design.... was bad.

Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamusodoofus View Post
EDIT: Forgot to add that this is a Canadian model (not sure if it makes a difference)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and RAVs in general.

I went and test drove one yesterday (2008 RAV4 V6 Base) and I really liked it! Loved everything about it except that the car produced a very high pitched whining noise when driven. Unfortunately, the test drive wasn't long enough for me to do some extensive testing but I did note that it was there sometimes (depending on the speed) and sometimes not. The pitch did change with RPM and the whining noise was completely gone when I put the car in neutral at speed and revved it. It seems to only produce the whining noise when youre engaged in gear.

Does anyone know what this may be and whether it's a cause for concern?

Thanks

2015 National Champions. 2015 SEC Champions. Oh.... and a Heisman Award.
ROLLTIDE is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ROLLTIDE For This Useful Post:
William_D (Yesterday)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
The transmission whine on the V6 starts at about 40 mph and does not change pitch. It will come and go when you lift off on the accelerator and then get back on it. The whine is just an annoyance and doesn't cause any problems. Toyota modified the transmission with specially honed gears to eliminate the noise. I had mine changed under the power train warranty at 19K miles and the new transmission has never whined.
Thanks for the response. After reading it, I'm starting to think it's most likely the differential as I'm almost certain of the pitch change.
Shamusodoofus is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota wants to buy back my 2011 Rav4 V6 4wd jeffstalone 4.3 General 18 04-04-2016 05:23 AM
Block Heater Installation - 2GRFE 3.5L V6 Rav4 (Also Sienna, Avalon, Camry) Synchman 4.3 Mechanical 8 11-16-2014 07:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome