Quality problem with V6 engine in RAV4, Camry, Lexus... [oil hose failing] - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ToyotaFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
I don't know who you are answering but provide us more information here. What is this mysterious part that is on National back order? An "oil hose" doesn't tell us much. Google provides nothing so????????????
I googled the part number and got this

https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11537
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFreak
Quote:
I don't know who you are answering but provide us more information here. What is this mysterious part that is on National back order? An "oil hose" doesn't tell us much. Google provides nothing so????????????

WTF who didnt find this in the TSB section. its got a post from 2007 by Kelly himself! WOW guys CALM DOWN.....

and Drifter, very good testimony on the dealer situation....

as for the I4 Smugness, here it is: AHAHAHA SHOULDA GOT A 4 cylinder. i was destroying civics and WRXs ALL THE WAY HOME tonite! MUAHAHAHAHA my EEEEVILLL plan to destroy ALL the pesky V6s is finally coming into play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell
my wife uses duct tape to stick spiders/bugs to the wall so i can kill them when i get home LOL
post #23 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFreak
Quote:

WTF who didnt find this in the TSB section. its got a post from 2007 by Kelly himself! WOW guys CALM DOWN.....

and Drifter, very good testimony on the dealer situation....

as for the I4 Smugness, here it is: AHAHAHA SHOULDA GOT A 4 cylinder. i was destroying civics and WRXs ALL THE WAY HOME tonite! MUAHAHAHAHA my EEEEVILLL plan to destroy ALL the pesky V6s is finally coming into play...

That TSB that was posted is actually for a completely different oil leak. (that one is a factory assembly defect about a corner where 3 different parts meet didnt get sealed correctly.)

The TSB for the VVTI line is EG064-05. I cant remember if it got updated or not, I had a hard enough time finding the TSB to begin with. This is the TSB:

It's a little hard to see from the picture, but that hose that is circled is whats causing the problems. its the connection between two preformed metal hoses and banjo fittings, one of which goes up and over the valve cover to the VVTI (as you can see in the pic), and the other loops around the back side of the bank and is connected to the block's oil feed right behind the powersteering pump.

This was actually from another post I made about this same problem a WHILE ago in the 4.3 maintenance forum, so you guys really dont have any excuse for ragging on him like that, I knew I had said something about it on here, but that was before I actually saw one on a RAV leak for myself.

heres the thread where it was posted: https://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...fae7cec581bca4

post #24 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So the best way to not have this burst is not to use VVTi
post #25 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

That 2005 Avalon TSB states "a small/slow oil drip"

The OP states "An oil hose is catastrophically failing and all the oil is running out while driving."

To The BlackMobile!!!
post #26 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you SeriousBlack. There is an over emphasis on this around here somewhere. Also, all I can read about so far, for the majority, is the problem occuring in the Avalon. Don't panic, the world is not going to end just yet. My V6 is still running strong with no issues. 8)
post #27 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0000rt
So the best way to not have this burst is not to use VVTi
Oh yeah, like that is going to happen. Actually, my wife drives like a granny and seldom gets the revs over 2500.... unlike me

I think it would be a great idea for V6 owners to inspect the area for oil seepage ASAP, and keep a close eye on it in the future. Tho the original service bulletin covers only some '05 Avalons I would bet that they will expand the list of affected vehicles.

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
post #28 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Drifter, thanks for that great reply. You said the following...
Quote:
"BUT, he was wrong in thinking that there isnt any way to get around this. Toyota has ALREADY issued an update for this, and its been out for almost a month now. Toyota is instructing all dealerships to replace the hose and the two clamps with regular autoparts store hose and "special" toyota screw-type clamps. that simple. "
Well then the dealerships are not reading the updates. My wifes car has been sitting at the dealer in Beckley WV for a couple of days now. They said they were waiting for the part on backorder. They knew nothing about some fix that only takes 30 minutes. None of the parts guys I talked with at the other dealers I called mentioned a substitution with parts from an autoparts store. Exactly how do these updates get communicated to the dealers??
post #29 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
"At that point, you would have learned that this is in fact NOT a major issue as no one here has had this problem." by LeeAnn

I preferred to "learn" from the information I was given by several Toyota employees over the phone. Please read TheDrifter's post above confirming that this IS a Rav4 problem and CAN BE catastrophic as my wife found out. Perhaps Mr. Owl will do the same.
post #30 of 604 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
TheDrifter, you said
Quote:
This was such a major and very common issue for the Avalon, that ALL Dealerships are completely out of the parts kits

Could it simply be that there are far more Avalons on the road with the V6 than the Rav4's? The engine (including the failing part) is exactly the same right? Where I live I see very, very few Rav4's on the road, and most of those are 4's.

Also, Did the Avalon start using this engine in model years prior to it being used in the Rav4? If so, maybe the Rav4 V6 isnt old enough yet to see the same failure level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page