Fog light wiring question - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fog light wiring question

I have a 2012 RAV4 I4 AWD. It did not come with any factory fog lamps, and I don't believe there is any foglight wiring. I ordered a foglight kit off of amazon.

Called - "Fog Lights / Lamps Kit OEM Replacement for Toyota RAV4 (FL-TY047-AC3)"

the included instructions are horribly written, and don't make up to the wiring kit that was included. Install of the lamps and brackets went very well, the wiring is where I'm having issues. There are two part of the wiring kit - and then connect with a single plug. One part connects to the two lights themselves, and has a black ground wire for inside the engine bay - I got all that fine. That part connects to the other part of the wiring kit which goes inside the cabin (which I've also done). That wiring kit has the relay and a 15 amp fuse, it's own ground wire, the switch which goes into the dash (I'm good with all of that) - but also two small wires; one all red and one red with a black stripe. I'm not sure where to connect those. I believe one should be connected to a constant 12v and the other to a switched 12v, but I'm unsure where to find either.

Also, will these lights be their own "closed system", meaning that they will operate totally independently from the other lights? I think here in Virginia you can't have fog lights and high beams on at the same time. If so, how will the vehicle know to turn off the fog lights if I switch to high beams?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Mr. Ravvit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I recently purchased this same kit for my 2012 base model.

The red wire is your constant power wire. The red/black wire is your switched power. I purchased some ATM fuse taps from Walmart to connect directly into the fuse box under the dash. My car had a fog light circuit that was hot in the fuse box but no wiring in the front fenders.

I connected the red to the fog light fuse location in the fuse box. Check if you have a fuse in that location and if it is powered.

I connected the red/black to the tail light fuse location so that the fog lights will only come on if you turn on the park/tail lights at the very least. There is no headlight fuse under the dash, that fuse is under the hood. Also if you forget to turn your headlights off the tail/park circuit will get turned off if you take out the key so no worries about leaving the foglights on.

This is the easiest way to hook this particular kit up. Yes your foglights can be on if you switch your high beams on but if you are aware of this you can also turn them off if you need to.

As far as I am aware the wiring is a bit different for the 2012 model so the sticky thread about installing foglights tells you which wires to tap into for factory foglight behavior but that is for older models with different wiring.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Helps greatly! I'll go check those fuse locations this evening.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cold you confirm the fuse numbers you used? My RAV didn't come with an owner's manual, and I just want to be sure I'm tapping into the correct ones.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Mr. Ravvit

The fuse box under the dash has a black cover over it and on the inside is a diagram that shows what circuit each fuse is for. Be careful because the diagram is upside down when you are looking at it.

Owners manuals are available online for free from The Toyota website to download as a PDF.

After you put in the fuse tap you won't be able to put the black cover back on but I didn't think that was a big deal.

Good luck let me know how it turns out.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
mattsrav4 (11-12-2015)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ravvit View Post
The fuse box under the dash has a black cover over it and on the inside is a diagram that shows what circuit each fuse is for. Be careful because the diagram is upside down when you are looking at it.

Owners manuals are available online for free from The Toyota website to download as a PDF.

After you put in the fuse tap you won't be able to put the black cover back on but I didn't think that was a big deal.

Good luck let me know how it turns out.
Will do, and thanks again. Never done one of these "add a fuse" deals, so just want to be sure I don't mis-wire these and do any damage on a car still under warranty.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Mr. Ravvit

It shouldn't be a problem since the fuse tap has a fuse for the original circuit and the new circuit. Also if you have the fog light fuse powered in the fuse box it's not being used so no worries there. As for tapping into the tail light fuse all you're doing is powering the switch which is really low power. The fog lights draw from the red wire which is connected to the fog light circuit in the fuse box. That wire also has a fuse inline which is part of the kit. The fuse is hot but not grounded so even if you put it in backwards it won't be shorted

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What amp fuses did you use in each of the two newly created circuits? I'd imagine 10 amp for the main, and it shouldn't really matter on the switch one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Mr. Ravvit

I used the same amp that was in that location

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
mattsrav4 (11-12-2015)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the help! I got a pair of the add a fuses and tapped into slots 1 and 26 I think (from what you told me up thread). The lights I believe work totally independent of whatever lights are on or off, as long as the car itself is turned on.

One thing, though - the switch in the dash has two little led lights in it I think. One is only lit when the car is on and the foglights themselves are turned on, and is pretty bright. The second is like a "backlight" to the foglight symbol itself, and seems to be on all the time, regardless if the key is in the ignition or not. I don't think it's enough of a draw to run the battery down or anything, but I'm sure it should be like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page