Replacing rear door on 2011 Sport - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replacing rear door on 2011 Sport

Has anyone here successfully replaced the rear door on a 2011 Sport V6 with a rear door from the base or Limited models of that generation? Or, is there a thread discussing this that I can't find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
The Base should fit.
The Limited has a special latch of the spare tire cover which is different. But the door itself will also fit.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I purchased a 2011 Limited that was rear ended and needed a new back door so I swapped to the SAP (Sport Appearance Package) without a spare door without much issue. If you're talking about the opposite swap and getting a complete door with wiring harness it will be a straight swap and plug right in/bolt right on. Only things worth mentioning are my donor door I purchased from LKQ had a cut harness so I had to use my original harness. The camera and plate lights in the door had a different plug and needed spliced in to match. Also the SAP back door has hinges marked 125 and the limited/base door uses ones marked 175 but i'm not sure how much of a difference it makes. Since I got the hinges at different vendors without knowing this I have one 175 and one 125 and seems to work just fine.

Anyone searching in the future to do the same swap I did keep in mind the spare has a TPMS coded in the ECU that is not removable. The car wants to see 5 tires at the appropriate pressure to keep the light off. To get around this I paired a sensor and wrapped it up with tape to apply pressure. Zip tied it out of the way. Worked like a charm.

'11 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much, good information!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Since you switched to a door without a spare tire carrier, where do you carry your spare?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Garage
I carry a patch kit and inflator but I live and drive in the city 99% of the time so worst case just call AAA for a tow to the tire shop.

'11 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Good job, and you made everything work by using your innovative skills. Congrats!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas456 View Post
I purchased a 2011 Limited that was rear ended and needed a new back door so I swapped to the SAP (Sport Appearance Package) without a spare door without much issue. If you're talking about the opposite swap and getting a complete door with wiring harness it will be a straight swap and plug right in/bolt right on. Only things worth mentioning are my donor door I purchased from LKQ had a cut harness so I had to use my original harness. The camera and plate lights in the door had a different plug and needed spliced in to match. Also the SAP back door has hinges marked 125 and the limited/base door uses ones marked 175 but i'm not sure how much of a difference it makes. Since I got the hinges at different vendors without knowing this I have one 175 and one 125 and seems to work just fine.

Anyone searching in the future to do the same swap I did keep in mind the spare has a TPMS coded in the ECU that is not removable. The car wants to see 5 tires at the appropriate pressure to keep the light off. To get around this I paired a sensor and wrapped it up with tape to apply pressure. Zip tied it out of the way. Worked like a charm.

You had to change the rear bumper cover when switching to the SAP door, correct? Normal bumper cover has a dip in it to accommodate the spare tire lower portion?

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 10:40 AM

Garage
Side by side I didn't see any dip in the standard bumper cover so I don't think you'd have to change that. The spare sits higher than the bumper. Only the plastics on the standard door dip in. Also I believe the Sport models with a spare use the same bumper as the SAP. I switched anyhow just because I needed a new bumper as well.

'11 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas456 View Post
Side by side I didn't see any dip in the standard bumper cover so I don't think you'd have to change that. The spare sits higher than the bumper. Only the plastics on the standard door dip in. Also I believe the Sport models with a spare use the same bumper as the SAP. I switched anyhow just because I needed a new bumper as well.
My apology. I must be thinking of the 4.2 or 4.1 generation with the dip in the rear bumper to accommodate the spare wheel.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page