Oil Consumption Test Repair - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
the suggestions are in -

water pump, including thermostat, belt and tensioner - $718

recondition the head - $1,903(regular price, $3,500 - $4,000)

vvt-i gear, including filter, oil control valve, timing change tensioner and oil pump - $872

fuel injector o-rings - $369

balance shaft bearings - $212
A 2006 RAV4 4x4 4 cyl with how many miles?

I would spend zero $$ on up-sells / and figure on replacing the water pump, when the timing belt needs replaced.

Better yet, after oil issue is fixed properly / just drive SUV or sell it for a v6 Gen3 or newer Gen4.
- 4100 US$ extra is just not worth spending / on a 12 year old SUV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @2011rav4 View Post
Total $4074.00 for a 2006 are they out of their minds? I would just have them fix the oil burning!

yes, that's what i'm going to have them do.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
yes, that's what i'm going to have them do.
Let us know how you make out! Good Luck

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont67 View Post
A 2006 RAV4 4x4 4 cyl with how many miles?

I would spend zero $$ on up-sells / and figure on replacing the water pump, when the timing belt needs replaced.

Better yet, after oil issue is fixed properly / just drive SUV or sell it for a v6 Gen3 or newer Gen4.
- 4100 US$ extra is just not worth spending / on a 12 year old SUV
it has 157,000 miles on it. i am going to get the water pump replaced, but i can go to a local garage for that(i can't do it myself, i'm not much of a mechanic). yes, that is too much money to spend on an old vehicle. i don't think i'd get much money for it since besides the age and the mileage, it also has the clear coat on the hood peeling off. it's already pretty much peeled off on the roof.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
So they haven't torn into the engine, they are just eyeballing it and guessing! It doesn't need a complete rebuild. If the car was running relatively well (despite the oil burning) those are mostly unnecessary. It would be nice to get the valves and valve seals done, spark plugs, (I guess that is under "recondition the head") but that price is about double what it is worth since the head will already be off to replace the pistons. I MIGHT offer $1200 for that, just to throw them a (large) bone and cross my fingers.

Also, unless the water pump is leaking, making noise, it also does not need to be done now. Simply preventative.

Probably best to tell them to "Just fix the oil burning issue under the warranty." Good luck!

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Thanked 1,030 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
So they haven't torn into the engine, they are just eyeballing it and guessing!
The only thing they are eyeballing is their upsell list. And the guessing is about how much they can get away with. It's also interesting how much of that list are parts you'd have no way to tell if they were actually replaced.

Having had many engines apart from the 1970s to my Accord last year I can say with confidence that only one part on that list is now a normal wear item - the Serpentine (water pump) belt, and they can go 200,000+ miles. Valve stem seals (part of a cylinder head reconditioning) used to start leaking back in the old days but not now.
The water pump may eventually need replacing but my advice is the same as already mentioned. "Unless the water pump is leaking, making noise, it also does not need to be done now." AFAIK, the belt and the head are the only parts that need to be removed to do the oil consumption fix.

So, let them sell you a new belt for whatever price keeping in mind the most expensive one on rockauto.com is $18.59.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Barcelona Red Limited - wife's
2018 Accord Hybrid, Blue Pearl - Dr. Dyno's - 47/47 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2003 F-250 4X4 - eventual replacement for the '99
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Good points, Dr D. Upon further review, those add-on prices are just so high, I'd skip them all. I saw on the Camry forum, who some mentioned geting the valve stem seal replacement, the cost was about $150 for all 16 valve seals. The labor with the head off would be negligible. So the $1900 estimate given the OP is ludicrous, if not completely unnecessary.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Thanked 1,030 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
Good points, Dr D. Upon further review, those add-on prices are just so high, I'd skip them all. I saw on the Camry forum, who some mentioned geting the valve stem seal replacement, the cost was about $150 for all 16 valve seals. The labor with the head off would be negligible. So the $1900 estimate given the OP is ludicrous, if not completely unnecessary.
Upsell add-on prices are, by definition, too high. It's a fishing expedition.

A friend of mine just bought a $1000 gen-1 Tacoma with a 2.4L 16-valve 4 cylinder with a couple of bad exhaust valves. Took the head to a very reputable local machine shop and asked them to do only what it needed. For $350 they replaced the two bad valves, machined the seats and I'm sure replaced all the stem seals. I wonder how much the dealer would mark up the machine shop's price. Probably double.

When I replaced the nine bent valves in my Accord last year I didn't bother changing any of the stem seals even tho 32 new ones came in my rebuild gasket kit. Just no need at 128,000 miles. BTW, rockauto.com was my best buy source for all the parts ($500 worth) that weren't dealer items.

So again my advice is have the dealer replace the accessory serpentine belt even if they charge $40 for it since the labor charge to do it later if you can't DIY would be more than that.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yes, i did tell them to just fix the oil burning issue(and when i dropped it off, the service advisor did tell me that i did not have to approve any repair suggestions that they had). they did say the water pump is leaking but i'm just going to have that done at some other local auto repair. i once heard that the water pump is okay if it's leaking just a little. but if the coolant level is rapidly getting low in the reservoir then it's time to replace the pump.

the vehicle has been running pretty well - like my two previous toyota trucks, i've had few, if any, problems. i just hope that when i get it back, it doesn't have any problems. i did read other threads about this issue, i saw there were a few people who had problems when they got their vehicles back.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolBlue For This Useful Post:
RAVN4RED (03-04-2018)
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
yes, i did tell them to just fix the oil burning issue(and when i dropped it off, the service advisor did tell me that i did not have to approve any repair suggestions that they had). they did say the water pump is leaking but i'm just going to have that done at some other local auto repair. i once heard that the water pump is okay if it's leaking just a little. but if the coolant level is rapidly getting low in the reservoir then it's time to replace the pump.

the vehicle has been running pretty well - like my two previous toyota trucks, i've had few, if any, problems. i just hope that when i get it back, it doesn't have any problems. i did read other threads about this issue, i saw there were a few people who had problems when they got their vehicles back.
Good.. I bet the water pump is ok too. They just want to make some extra money. Did you get the new belt that was suggested here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page