Any thoughts on Subwoofer Enclosure? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any thoughts on Subwoofer Enclosure?

I was looking to add a subwoofer to my base 2007 with 3rd row seats. On this site, they advertise custom boxes for several Toyotas, including a box for a 10 inch woofer designed to fit on the right side of the storage area of the 4.3 RAV4s:

http://www.lightav.com/car/boxes/bas...yotacamry.html

I called them up, and the box is supposed to fit any 4.3, even with the third row seats, and the site shows a picture of installed box next to the third row seat. They quoted me a price of $270US, and I would have to add my own speaker and wires. It comes in fiberglass white, but I can have a matching carpet added for extra.

The alternative is to build a custom enclosure in the rear swing gate on the left side, away from the spare. The cost would be pretty similar, about $300 (again plus speaker and wires).

Any throughts from the stereoheads out there? This is pretty small box (.6 cubic feer), so I don't know if the subwoofer would sound great.

Thanks.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Shelbrain

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for the link. I sent them an email regarding the ones for the Corollas. As for the Rav, my wife wont let me put a system in her car, but I personally didnt like the way it looked with the 3rd seat in there. I would think it would rattle too much. I also think you could make one for much cheaper (of course I have never built anything using fiberglass before!)

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 PM

that looks pretty sweet would you know how much they cost?

to bad my subs are dual 11". i think i'll be putting my sub and build a custom box in the rear cargo deck storage place..

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice, good find, thanks for posting the link. I've been looking for something like this. The .62 cu. ft. of airspace might be a little small, but it really depends on the subwoofer and what the manufacturer recommends. Most manufacturers will tell you what the ideal-sized enclosure is for their woofers.

The JL Audio 10W7 needs an enclosure w/ twice that airspace when the displacement of the speaker is accounted for. They recommend 1.25 cu. ft. However Pioneer's TS-SW2541D recommends .35 to .7 cu. ft.

Generally, an enclosure that's too small will result in a lack of low-end bass response, and if it’s too large, you won’t have as much output as you could and the woofer’s power handling will suffer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Image Dynamics makes a sub that would work perfect in that enclosure. IDQ10 http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...d=idq&type=sub

Or one of these

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-414

I own the IDQ10, and it sounds amazing in a small sealed enclosure.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:54 AM

you could throw some W0 series or type-s subs in that box. those subs dont need that much space for sub box and will still pound good

awesome sub for person who's in a budget or not as crazy audiophile
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 AM

I tried mounting an 8 inch Morel that had good free air characteristics (from Parts Express) in the rear door and lined the entire inside of the door with Dynamat. The results were not good. Door handles rattled, there was no deep bass at all, and the sub bottomed out if pushed at all. I doubt you’ll be able to fit anything larger than an 8 inch in the door, and it has to be shallow (less than 3 inches). I opted to give up half the cargo well space for a small sealed box and 12 inch Rockford. Quite satisfied. Check my album.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the feed back

Thanks Dajazee. I think I will go ahead and order the sub box, because it sounds like installing in the rear swing gate would be a a disaster and waste of money.

I hope I can get some type of hard speaker cover so I don't poke out the subwoofer with stuff in the trunk, but it looks like there will not be much clearance between the box and the third row seats.

I asked around and got a recommendation for a Peerless Autosound 10" woofer, and I have had good experiance with their products in the past.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind...28523&pid=2037

but it seems a little on the high end for my needs, since the total costs for the speaker, box, decent amp, carpet, wires, and install would be at least $1K. Josti, I will take a look at the Image Dynamics subs.

I will post some pictures after the install.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Not many besides DYI speaker builders know about Peerless, but they make great speakers. Should work, the Bassforms box has a mounting depth of 5.5” and the 10” Autosound is 5.35”. Sounds like a great setup. Good luck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Peerless does make great speakers. I would highly recommend doing a little research on the Image Dynamics too. An IDQ10 DVC is almost made for that enclosure (.35-.65 cu.ft). Not even in the same league as a lower model line JL (i.e. W0). Probably the best sub I've ever heard in a small sealed enclosure for the money. I know sounddomain.com sells image dynamics stuff.

The good thing about the Image dynamics is it's a DVC. If you get the dual 4 ohm model, you can run it with a very modest 2 ohm stable amp and get great results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement