Rattling sound upon coldish startup - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rattling sound upon coldish startup

I have a 2010 Rav4 and it has started making what I can only describe as a semi-rattling sound when started up after it has been sitting for a while. I have read things about oil not being draw up to the top of engine quick enough to it being something that is not a big issue. What is it typically when this is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
The noise may be due to the fact that 4.3s have hydraulic valve lifters which use oil under pressure to take up the slack (clearance) between lifter apparatus and the engine's valves. Since those parts are the last to receive pressurized oil when the engine is started there may be some momentary noise upon the engine starting.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, does that mean it is somewhat normal and nothing to really worry about? I am overdue for am overdue for an oil change and I haven't checked the oil level yet(wife's car which I hardly touch except to take to dealer for general maintenance). Could this be due to oil level? If not, is there a fix? I has not done this for the past two years that we have owned it. It does not do it for subsequent startups after initial startup and it runs and sounds fine while driving.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Change the oil & filter. See if it continues.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Not sure if this is your isssue, but check out this thread and 'cold start rattle' TSB and see if your VIN is in the group listed. (note: log in to view.)

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-...09-2010-a.html

Mine is in the group but so far no rattles at 77k miles--so it's not a "They all do it" noise.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rusty View Post
Ok, does that mean it is somewhat normal and nothing to really worry about? I am overdue for am overdue for an oil change and I haven't checked the oil level yet(wife's car which I hardly touch except to take to dealer for general maintenance). Could this be due to oil level? If not, is there a fix? I has not done this for the past two years that we have owned it. It does not do it for subsequent startups after initial startup and it runs and sounds fine while driving.

If your vehicle is not part of the TSB mentioned by RAVN4RED, which refers to "cold soak" (below 32F startups) and if the noise is only momentary upon startup ordinarily it should be nothing to worry about, and it often occurs with hydraulic lifters especially as engines accumulate mileage. But obviously it is important to maintain the proper oil level. Even if the oil level is low, as long as the oil pump pickup is submerged (one would know because the oil pressure warning light would be on if the oil level were dangerously low) the valve lifters would receive oil. When the RAV is taken in for its required maintenance and if the service department is good and honest the noise can be mentioned.

Jim
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
...If your vehicle is not part of the TSB mentioned by RAVN4RED, which refers to "cold soak" (below 32F startups) and if the noise is only momentary upon startup ordinarily it should be nothing to worry about...
Thanks for pointing that out--there is no temperature minimum in the TSB and I assumed it could be any 'cold engine' like one not started overnight. I doubt the OP has <32F very often in TX! Makes me breathe a little easier listening for noises on my own rig...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
If your vehicle is not part of the TSB mentioned by RAVN4RED, which refers to "cold soak" (below 32F startups) and if the noise is only momentary upon startup ordinarily it should be nothing to worry about, and it often occurs with hydraulic lifters especially as engines accumulate mileage. But obviously it is important to maintain the proper oil level. Even if the oil level is low, as long as the oil pump pickup is submerged (one would know because the oil pressure warning light would be on if the oil level were dangerously low) the valve lifters would receive oil. When the RAV is taken in for its required maintenance and if the service department is good and honest the noise can be mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies folks, sorry I just got back in town away for a week and that's why I hadn't replied. We had the oil changed at Toyota before we left town but it is still doing it, occurring if the car hasn't been started for close to an hour. I mentioned it to the service guys and got them to listen to it(surprisingly it actually did it in front of one after it had been sitting a bit because we all know weird sound NEVER happen when you want a tech to hear it!) but this particular guy said he thought it was normal. I plan to bring back the info I have learned here though and get their further thoughts.

Blogson, do you think there if this is caused by the lifters, there is truly nothing abnormal and problematic in the future with this and it's not something worth making them fix for fear of them causing more problems by breaking the engine down? I know it bothers my wife to hear it all of a sudden now when the engine started so nice and quiet for the past two years? My vin stats with JTMDF4DV so I don't think it's under the cold soak TSB(could be wrong and misreading the TSB though) but i any case we bought this certified with the platinum bumper to bumper warratny which it is still under. Also saw people say it was the cam phaser or timing related that was the issue.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

quote=Buck Rusty "... We had the oil changed at Toyota before we left town but it is still doing it, occurring if the car hasn't been started for close to an hour. I mentioned it to the service guys and got them to listen to it(surprisingly it actually did it in front of one after it had been sitting a bit.... this particular guy said he thought it was normal.. it bothers my wife to hear it all of a sudden now when the engine started so nice and quiet for the past two years?..."

It is tough to diagnose your noise without hearing it. Maybe you could attempt to record a video like this one Friendly_Jacek posted a while back. While you are on that thread, read up what Ferretwoman had to say, she and F_Jacek had some good dialogue:

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4...g-09-i4-3.html

quote=Buck Rusty "... My vin stats with JTMDF4DV so I don't think it's under the cold soak TSB(could be wrong and misreading the TSB though) but i any case we bought this certified with the platinum bumper to bumper warratny which it is still under..."[/quote]

You probably need to reference the last 4 or 5 digits of the VIN to get the sequence of production, or have a dealer look it up. It IS confusing. One thing for sure, if my engine had that 'diesel sounding' clatter on that video (heard at cold start at 22 seconds), I'd be researching the most reliable dealer shop I could find to fix it while you have the warranty. (Mine has the sound of a normal start at about 48 seconds.)

BTW, how many miles you have and what weight/type oil using?
Good luck and read up as much as you can on this issue, it has some traction on the 4.4 gen RAVs also. The 2AR has become Toyota's prime most reliable engine, still in use in today's RAVs and Camrys, but some may have this flaw...The value of this forum is to try to separate normal noise from a problem, and judge was you can live with. Good luck, let us know how you fare.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rusty View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks, sorry I just got back in town away for a week and that's why I hadn't replied. We had the oil changed at Toyota before we left town but it is still doing it, occurring if the car hasn't been started for close to an hour. I mentioned it to the service guys and got them to listen to it(surprisingly it actually did it in front of one after it had been sitting a bit because we all know weird sound NEVER happen when you want a tech to hear it!) but this particular guy said he thought it was normal. I plan to bring back the info I have learned here though and get their further thoughts.

Blogson, do you think there if this is caused by the lifters, there is truly nothing abnormal and problematic in the future with this and it's not something worth making them fix for fear of them causing more problems by breaking the engine down? I know it bothers my wife to hear it all of a sudden now when the engine started so nice and quiet for the past two years? My vin stats with JTMDF4DV so I don't think it's under the cold soak TSB(could be wrong and misreading the TSB though) but i any case we bought this certified with the platinum bumper to bumper warratny which it is still under. Also saw people say it was the cam phaser or timing related that was the issue.

As your RAV has the Platinum VSA the best thing to do is to make certain that your concern about the noise is documented - - in writing on a dealer's service department service order, for example. If the VSA expires you will have that as proof about your concern. Also it could be worthwhile to get Toyota corporate involved so that they could have a regional representative investigate and document your concern. If repair becomes necessary later you will have that documentation to prove that Toyota should be responsible for the repair cost.

Jim
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page