First oil change - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First oil change

Well, it's technically not the "first" oil change on this vehicle, but it's the first I've done since we bought it.
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to some things, so the first things I'll do after purchasing a vehicle is a fluid change in both the crankcase and the transmission.
We had the transmission done a couple of weeks a go and they also check differential fluids, coolant, etc.

Used the instruction found here: https://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4...-pictures.html
Things went as outlined in the above post. When I went to remove the drain plug from the filter housing, the entire housing spun, so I thought I would just as well remove it that way and deal with the drain plug on-the-bench. The resulting mess was no worse than removing your average cartridge filter....lots of rags to sop up the old oil!

The filter I used was a Mobil M1-C251A...it looks slightly different than the NAPA one I removed.

But apparently there is more than one type of design for this particular application....and on that topic...is there any reason WHY they are designed differently?
Is one design better than the other? I always thought that the Mobil filters are a higher quality than FRAM or Autolite...
K&N has lost some of its market appeal over the years too, it seems...

Everything went back together easily enough...added 6 oz of Archoil friction modifier as well.
The BIG mess happened when I went to pour the used oil back into the jug...and a big gust of wind came up at the exact moment in time, where the oil started to flow over the edge and into the funnel....everything blew over and I spilled about 2 quarts all over the driveway...Yay!

Seriously, the cleanup of the spill was the most labour-intensive part of the whole ordeal. I mentioned to my wife that changing the oil in this is "almost" as easy as doing the same to my OBS Ford....

Oh...and the gasket on the drain plug was fine and used again. Maybe next time I'm in town, I'll swing by the Toyota shop and grab a handful....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
The Mobil 1 oil filter was design for extended oil changes up to 20,000 miles for some filters. It is designed to not fall apart and has synthetic fiber materials for longer life and better filtration capacity to hold more dirt. The K&N is made of paper which was design for shorter oil intervals around 5-8000 miles.

Oil changes are messy especially removing the oil filter. Many manufacturers are locating oil filters on top of the engine that are easier to remove without making a mess. Why can't Toyota do that ?

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
The Following User Says Thank You to DL175 For This Useful Post:
Beaumont67 (03-30-2018)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I am skeptical about long-interval oil filter. They may hold up greater amount of gunk, but can they maintain the oil pressure necessary when so clogged up?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-heap View Post
I am skeptical about long-interval oil filter. They may hold up greater amount of gunk, but can they maintain the oil pressure necessary when so clogged up?

You have not watched enough youtube video on how these filters look like after 10,000 miles. It is not as bad as you may have imagine. The synthetic fibers trap finer particles unlike paper filters which trap only the bigger particles. There should be enough area for the oil to flow through.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
The Following User Says Thank You to DL175 For This Useful Post:
Beaumont67 (03-30-2018)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:59 PM

If synthetic fiber traps finer grade debris, it still means more clogging up, less area where oil can flow through, reducing oil pressure.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL175 View Post
The Mobil 1 oil filter was design for extended oil changes up to 20,000 miles for some filters. It is designed to not fall apart and has synthetic fiber materials for longer life and better filtration capacity to hold more dirt. The K&N is made of paper which was design for shorter oil intervals around 5-8000 miles.

Oil changes are messy especially removing the oil filter. Many manufacturers are locating oil filters on top of the engine that are easier to remove without making a mess. Why can't Toyota do that ?
^^ You know your filters DL175

I agree, the synthetic media filters, have proven to filter better & last longer.
- I only source WIX XP Platinum, another synthetic media filter / extended life, if one goes that way
- XP a $34 filter in Canada @ local NAPA/UAP...BS
- so I order from www.filtryer1.com / $12.xx each ... and pickup in Port Huron, MI
- the XP filter is also rebranded, for AMSOIL
- I change oil, every 10,000 Km and the used oil still retains some honey color
- I would not hesitate to go 15,000 Km oil change interval...but oil changes, are cheap insurance
...so premium WIX XO filter works, extremely well IMO

I also think, Pennzoil Ultra Premium synthetic, made from 99.5% clean Natural Gas base stock...is the best oil for price value & protection performance...I wait till Canadian Tire Corp., has a sale, and stock up. I'm so impressed with it, I stopped being a 20 year Amsoil customer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PennUltraWIXxp.jpg (42.7 KB, 12 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-heap View Post
If synthetic fiber traps finer grade debris, it still means more clogging up, less area where oil can flow through, reducing oil pressure.

Not really because the layer of the synthetic fiber is much thicker than paper filters. This allows the oil to flow through these element and at the same time trap more dirt.

If these filters did not provide enough oil pressure you would have millions of engine failures.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 PM

How does thickness increase the surface area through which the oil flows? Would thicker paper filter element achieve the same effect?

"If these filters did not provide enough oil pressure you would have millions of engine failures."

And if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

EDIT: I understand that you have been happy with these premium long-interval filters, but let's not BS.

I can understand stronger construction to withstand longer operation interval helps, but in this case (rav4 v6) where only the filter element with center spine is replaced, the case is weakened. Also, perhaps the modern synthetic fiber does have some high-tech mechanical property that allows trapping greater amount of crud while better maintaining oil flow, but who has produced empirical evidence for this? Maybe it simply leads to the bypass valve opening up, leading to an extended period of minimal filtering. Or maybe conventional filter medium was good enough for longer interval, and it's just the tougher construction that matters. It just all seems very muddy, leading me to suspect it's largely a marketing segmentation tactic.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I guess you could make an argument either way on long-life filters. I just change the filter at every oil change. So there.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Geez....I didn't mean to start an oil/filter thread.

FWIW, I have always been a Mobil1 or WIX filter fan and for the $14 they cost, I don't mind replacing them at every change (6000 kms) and I don't mind paying a bit extra for the synthetic oil either as it is just peace-of-mind on my part....like I said: OCD.

My 97 Powerstroke takes 4 USG at a time and I use the Rotella T6 in that beast.
Guys at work ask me "Why do you use synthetic in a diesel?" and I say "Because it's MINE!"

I change the oil on my bike(s) even MORE frequently.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page