New V6 Oil Change Instructions (w/Pictures) - Page 20 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 199 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
KTL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Did you look at the very first post to find your answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Awesome instructions. I am going to do my first ever DIY oil change on my 2011 RAV4 V6 next weekend. These instructions are so so helpful.

3 questions:

1. For the drain plug washer/gasket: I just purchased the OEM washers from Amazon last night (~$6 for 5 pieces). But how is this gasket different from the washers we typically buy for nuts from Homedepot? Can the latter be used?
2.What is the optimal oil dip-stick reading? Is it closer to the top hole or somewhere in-between?
3. Did you add oil to the filter/filter housing before screwing it back in? I read in a few places that you shouldn't leave the filter dry.

Thanks again and looking forward to my first DIY car project! I have brakes coming up in a few months as well.

Avi
post #193 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
avs
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoanalyst View Post
Awesome instructions. I am going to do my first ever DIY oil change on my 2011 RAV4 V6 next weekend. These instructions are so so helpful.

3 questions:

1. For the drain plug washer/gasket: I just purchased the OEM washers from Amazon last night (~$6 for 5 pieces). But how is this gasket different from the washers we typically buy for nuts from Homedepot? Can the latter be used?

2.What is the optimal oil dip-stick reading? Is it closer to the top hole or somewhere in-between?

3. Did you add oil to the filter/filter housing before screwing it back in? I read in a few places that you shouldn't leave the filter dry.

Thanks again and looking forward to my first DIY car project! I have brakes coming up in a few months as well.

Avi

As a rule of thumb you always want to put oil in the oil filter whenever possible before screwing it back to the engine to reduce the time the engine runs dry during the first start up.

Also when draining the oil you might want to look into using an oil extractor and suck the oil via the dipstick. Itís less messy than opening the drain plug and from experience you get more oil out using an extractor than thru the drain plug. The only downside I see using an extractor is that itís slower than popping open the drain plug. Hereís the oil extractor I used: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU0MMU..._2f1SCb64P701J

post #194 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
KTL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
3 questions:

The typical OEM washer is a crush-type, which I don't know/think you can get them from Home Depot. My washer for some reason wasn't the crush-type, but I've kept using it without any leaks. I've been buying a pack of 10 filter elements from an eBay Toyota seller, who also includes the OEM washers. If you plan on DIY, that may be a more affordable way than to spend $6 for 5 OEM washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoanalyst
Typically, after filling it, the dip-stick reading is about 1/2-way, but that's when the engine is cold. When engine is warm/hot, it will rise closer to the top.

Quote:
No, I didn't add oil to the filter canister before screwing it back in. I hadn't had any issues from all the years of DIY.

Quote:
Avi
Brakes are pretty easy too. Have fun!
post #195 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
Also when draining the oil you might want to look into using an oil extractor and suck the oil via the dipstick. Itís less messy than opening the drain plug and from experience you get more oil out using an extractor than thru the drain plug. The only downside I see using an extractor is that itís slower than popping open the drain plug. Hereís the oil extractor I used: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU0MMU..._2f1SCb64P701J

This is interesting. I didn't realize this was an option. I am curious if the drain plug washer still needs to be changed if we extract the oil using the hand pump?

I already ended up getting the Flo-Tool drain pan.

Thanks for the tip though. Very handy.

Avi
post #196 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
The typical OEM washer is a crush-type, which I don't know/think you can get them from Home Depot. My washer for some reason wasn't the crush-type, but I've kept using it without any leaks. I've been buying a pack of 10 filter elements from an eBay Toyota seller, who also includes the OEM washers. If you plan on DIY, that may be a more affordable way than to spend $6 for 5 OEM washers.
I just checked out the seller. Seems like a great deal.
post #197 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
avs
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
New V6 Oil Change Instructions (w/Pictures)

Quote:
This is interesting. I didn't realize this was an option. I am curious if the drain plug washer still needs to be changed if we extract the oil using the hand pump?

I already ended up getting the Flo-Tool drain pan.

Thanks for the tip though. Very handy.

Avi

No need to remove the drain plug therefore you donít need to replace the washer. Been extracting oil from the top for years with all my cars.
post #198 of 199 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
does anyone have the part number for the drain plug washer?
post #199 of 199 (permalink) Old Today, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
does anyone have the part number for the drain plug washer?
This is what I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TOYOTA OEM Gasket 90430-12031

My car is a 2011 RAV4 Sport V6 AWD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement