Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

“Limp Mode”?

191 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Dr. Dyno
Hey Guys my 2008 Rav briefly went into a “limp” mode tonight and I’d like to know if anyone has had the same issue and if they know what caused it and what they did to fix it. I had cruise control on doing about 63 then turned it off and went up a small “hill” so slowed down to about 20-30mph. Didn’t brake hard or anything pretty much just coasted to that speed. When I was going up the “hill” (not steep maybe 30-40 degree incline if that) i started slowing down more and more and in turn I pushed the pedal down harder. I noticed I had the pedal to the floor and was going 15 mph. Then saw my Engine light was flashing, and my VSC and 4WD were lit up and when I’d give it gas the whole car would shake, not super violently but plenty enough to notice. This lasted maybe 1 minute before it started driving like normal. After this happened I tried gunning it a few times to see if I could get it to go “limp” again but it did not. Within the last 15,000 miles I replaced the O2 sensor behind the cat, I'm mentioning that because that sensor going out causes the same lights on the dash to light up. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
It probably doesn't matter but V6 or I4? And what miles?

· Super Moderator
12,909 Posts
Yes, If they aren't in the current codes they should still be in the historic codes until they are cleared with the reader.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts