Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Toyota has just announced a voluntary recall for the 01-03 RAV4 ecm/autotrans problems---INCLUDING reimbursement for previous repairs- see your dealer ASAP

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Re: 01-03 voluntary recall

Rehabber said:
:D Toyota has just announced a voluntary recall for the 01-03 RAV4 ecm/autotrans problems---INCLUDING reimbursement for previous repairs- see your dealer ASAP
Great find Rehabber 8) We've received updated files for this issue and have posted them here :arrow: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=170593 [Including letter of explanation from Toyota :D ]

Older discussion on this topic can be seen here :arrow: http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15515

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
More Details

I submitted for the reimbursement but was denied. I called them and discovered that I was denied because my mileage was too high. I have 184k on my RAV4 and the cutoff is 150k. Therefore I was not eligible for reimbursement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my 02 Rav4 with 144000 at the local dealer getting repaired and was just told that it could be another month before they can get a transmission because Toyota is not shipping them and the warehouse only has 4 left in the US.
Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
lavendr said:
I have my 02 RAV4 with 144000 at the local dealer getting repaired and was just told that it could be another month before they can get a transmission because Toyota is not shipping them and the warehouse only has 4 left in the US.
Has anyone else heard of this?

I am dealing with the same problem = parts could be 2wks to a month - good thing the rental car is on them :D:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question...is there any way to find out if a rav4 01 is going to have dodgy transmission with a mechanic inspection? I am thinking of buying one at a good price with low km. Not sure whether to buy it or not. What proportion are affected?? I am in Australia.
cheers
sandy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 2003 with 65000+ miles and received a letter last 2008(60,000+ miles at that time) and now I recieved a letter regarding class action suit against TOYOTA. I don't have any symptoms yet about this ECM problem...My question is..Do I need to wait for the symptoms before I let the dealership replace the ECM? And When I checked the VIN # on No.: POL10-03 mine is not in the VIN RANGE..Does it mean mine is not included in the recall?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question...is there any way to find out if a rav4 01 is going to have dodgy transmission with a mechanic inspection? I am thinking of buying one at a good price with low km. Not sure whether to buy it or not. What proportion are affected?? I am in Australia.
cheers
sandy
I have a 2001 rav4 but it's a manual transmission. 200,200 miles on it ... but I seem to be having the same symtoms on my car... but only on first to second gear and second to third gear. I love my rav4...I the first owner.... but it becomes dangerous when moving from a stop light but it then almost like it brakes. Fyi... I just want to know what is wrong with it so I can repair it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2001 Rav4 auto transmission totally gave out on me earlier this year. It cost me $3500 to rebuild the transmission. I had no clue there was this recall or issue. I wish I would have known. Toyota won't reimburse me now seeing as I was at 177K miles when it happened. What a bummer. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Would they reimburse a repair that was done like 2 years ago maybe? I fixed the tranny and the ecm a while back. Ran me a few $'s/

·
Registered
21 Posts
How lucky you guys in the US are we here in the uk get nothing done for free from toyota ! and pay thru the nose for everything at main dealers :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this a sign of the problem as well?

My car hesitates right at 2000 RPMs. When I am in traffic or accelerating from a stop light if I do not rev past the 2000 RPMs it hesitates. It's only at this time when it does this. It's in the shop as I type this. It's already had the transmission rebuilt but now I am thinking the ECM needs to be fixed as well. The transmission shop doesn't seem to understand the whole Voluntary Recall thing even though I have given them the website about it and everything. Funds are TIGHT and I don't want to give up on my RAV just yet, but I need to find the most economical fix. I've already spent $3300 on the rebuilt tranny.

Does this hesitation have to do with the shifting issue of the transmission or a misfire in the engine?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 rav4 Transmission Issues

this thread has been extremely helpful; however, it is quite long. i am no where near the guy in NY or california. i have a 2003 rav4 with less than 150k, and my transmission has started jerking.

how can i find out of my car is still covered?

several folks posted that they "called toyota" to find out or downloaded the information. did they call a dealership? or a customer service number for toyota usa? if the latter, could anyone please provide a link or phone reference?

thanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I did not post about this last year, but my 03 had started jerking real bad, and I called Toyota US on it. They said take it to a dealer, which I did. Dealer fixed it for free. Seems they were doing it for 10 years from the manufacture date, which when I took mine in was 6 days shy. I got lucky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts