Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have a number of Ravs in the family but my son looks to be saddled with a 2.4 oil burner in a gen3 he bought over the winter. I do not want and can't afford to have the same happen to me.

I am looking at some gen2 04 and 05 Ravs that have the 2.4 but, see contradictory lists on the web as to what years are affected with oil consumption issues. Are the pre-2006 motors without this issue?

Is there a definitive list available?

Any other drive train issues to be aware of in these?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
The years with the "friends of EXXON" oil consumption are 2006, 2007, 2008 with the 2.4l engine. Previous years were not oil burners but keep in mind any car that is 13-15 years old could certainly burn some oil.

2009 through current models have the 2.5l engine which is pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I owned a 2005 RAV4 for 5 years and the engine never burned any oil. I have not heard any except one member and that one seems to be the only one that reported high oil consumption. He now owns a Gen 4.4 RAV4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies... there seems to be conflicting info out there.

Any other issues with these years to consider before picking one up for a daily cold weather vehicle? I've loved my 06 Corolla but in this terrain it's struggles just get old and everyone around me gets around just fine in their Ravs.

Stuff to watch out for???

Thanks again...

·
Super Moderator
9,442 Posts
What amazes me is how Toyota could build and excellent 2.4L in 2004 & 2005 and then effectively ruin it in 2006! :frown
Maybe they took the good stuff out and put it in the 3.5L V6. :shrug:

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 04-05 2AZ-FE was close enough to the ‘06 model 2.4L that Toyota didn’t see a need to rename it, or describe even in much detail what had changed.

But we know that something had. It was rated for +5 more horsepower at 300 additional RPM, on a SAE scale more stringent than the previous year. The only technical papers I’ve been able to find on this indicate larger diameter valves and more aggressive valve timing were at least partly contributing to the performance increase.

However, I think it’s important to know the root cause of the 2AZ-FE’s oil consumption were the pistons. Specifically the oil lubrication holes below the compression rings on the skirt. Toyota’s immediate fix were pistons with larger holes and later with piston oil squirters. But the RAV4.2’s still shared the same pistons with early RAV4.3’s, therefore, may exhibit similar oil consumption woes.

Case in point, my 05 RAV: Bought used with 60K miles last year, it consumed 1 qt of oil (25% of its capacity) in 3,000 miles driven. During its second 3,000 in my ownership it consumed just 1/2 qt. Now after its third oil change in my garage it consumed basically nothing. I drained 3 qts 29 fl oz from the sump and filter. It’s not absurd to think the other 3 oz were still in the engine.

While I was initially very disappointed in my RAV, thinking I’d bought an oil burner, this demonstrated to me the importance of regular oil changes. Keeping in mind that oil services are measured in distance AND/OR time, whichever comes first. I bought an old RAV with low miles, but the oil probably hadn’t been changed in over a year (maybe longer?).

“If at six months you have driven less than 5,000 miles, you should obtain
maintenance at six months — don’t wait until 5,000 miles” - Toyota

My belief is that this is routinely overlooked and is greatly contributing to 2AZ-FE oil consumption.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 04-05 2AZ-FE was close enough to the ‘06 model 2.4L that Toyota didn’t see a need to rename it, or describe even in much detail what had changed.

But we know that something had. It was rated for +5 more horsepower at 300 additional RPM, on a SAE scale more stringent than the previous year. The only technical papers I’ve been able to find on this indicate larger diameter valves and more aggressive valve timing were at least partly contributing to the performance increase.

However, I think it’s important to know the root cause of the 2AZ-FE’s oil consumption were the pistons. Specifically the oil lubrication holes below the compression rings on the skirt. Toyota’s immediate fix were pistons with larger holes and later with piston oil squirters. But the RAV4.2’s still shared the same pistons with early RAV4.3’s, therefore, may exhibit similar oil consumption woes.

Case in point, my 05 RAV: Bought used with 60K miles last year, it consumed 1 qt of oil (25% of its capacity) in 3,000 miles driven. During its second 3,000 in my ownership it consumed just 1/2 qt. Now after its third oil change in my garage it consumed basically nothing. I drained 3 qts 29 fl oz from the sump and filter. It’s not absurd to think the other 3 oz were still in the engine.

While I was initially very disappointed in my RAV, thinking I’d bought an oil burner, this demonstrated to me the importance of regular oil changes. Keeping in mind that oil services are measured in distance AND/OR time, whichever comes first. I bought an old RAV with low miles, but the oil probably hadn’t been changed in over a year (maybe longer?).

“If at six months you have driven less than 5,000 miles, you should obtain
maintenance at six months — don’t wait until 5,000 miles” - Toyota

My belief is that this is routinely overlooked and is greatly contributing to 2AZ-FE oil consumption.
What oil are you using? I've put about 5k kms on mine and ready for a change and have notice that its about 1/3 between the L and H on the dip stick.

I legitimately thing my dealer didn't fill it all the way and it was half way the whole time, but still ended up using a little.

All and all between oil changes it was about .5L that I added, i'm hoping to switch to Amsoil soon, its at 168k kms now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I’m understandably cautious about mentioning what oil I use, like I know for absolute certain that the brand matters, but I use Amsoil. I’m not a dealer, I know it’s expensive, and I’ve no doubt other oils work just as good. I’ve just been happy with Amsoil for many years so I continue to use it.

Now, in addition to 3,000 mile (4,828 km) oil changes, I use Amsoil’s engine flush product as well. I’m sure there are plenty of cheaper engine flush products available, and again I can’t say with great confidence they work, but whatever combination of things I did worked in my application. I’ll also mention I didn’t use Amsoil’s engine flush as directed on the bottle, I took some liberties with my own flushing procedure. I also pay for premium fuel for the detergent additives and add a bottle of fuel system cleaner before an oil change. The advantages of the later two are frequently debated with no real data for or against. I’m of the group that happily listens to the voices in my head telling me they work.

Last comment: after I posted above I logged into the Toyota Owners page and viewed my RAV’s service history. Because it was receiving service at the same Toyota dealership it’s entire life, I believe it’s safe to assume it wasn’t receiving care elsewhere. If that’s the case my RAV was going up to three years between oil changes. Further proof of this was the PCV was plugged at just 11,000 miles! Overall low mileage, but the oil went unchanged in excess of 600% of Toyota’s recommended interval by calendar months.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey I'm wondering if your oil consumption issue is still fixed?
I'm about to buy a 2004 Rav4 with a low milage replacement engine from a 2006 in it (55k miles) but this issue is putting me off. It's a good price though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were likely tagging 05RAV and not me, but since the system sent it to me, I'll chirp in anyhow...
Never did buy one as my boy's 07 motor blew up in spite of oil changes and I just could not get comfortable with it. Newer 2.5 were just too expensive for the high number of miles and abuse I would have put it through.
Stayed with Corolla (2012 this time) and regret it mechanically and wish I had switched over to AWD something today. Whole family has been running Toyotas for a long time here but the shine seems to have worn for us.

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
I'm about to buy a 2004 Rav4 with a low milage replacement engine from a 2006 in it (55k miles) but this issue is putting me off. It's a good price though!
Plan on buying oil in 50 gallon drums if you buy it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my case, yes.

Somewhere on here I made a comment that my 2.4L didn't consume any oil at all, conceivably not even a drop. This was dishonest and unrealistic. It's a four stroke engine, some oil usage is expected.
On my last change, about 1,000 miles ago, I could detect about 1/8" drop on the dipstick. This was in 3,000 miles of service. I'll emphasize that I'm regularly performing 3,000 miles oil changes without the need to add oil to get me there. Stark contrast as compared to when the RAV was new TO ME. However, I keep the engine compartment clean as a whistle and I've begun to detect signs of a leaking head gasket. I'm going over my power/drivetrain warranty I bought with the SUV and will begin scheduling a date with Toyota to service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the response

I didn't end up buying the 2004 rav as it has been smoked in, had dark smoke stains on the roof and stunk.. wish he had told me before I travelled so far! Going to stick with my old 2.0 rav and fix the few issues instead (water pump/alternator/suspension)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts