Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.4L 2AZFE engine. It has been damaged beyond repair so I need another engine. The salvage yards say that several engines will fit including scion. They all want to know the fifth didget of the I.D number. Mine is a "D". anybody know why this is a big question.?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would stick to similar year/model RAVs to choose from, there are plenty across the country.

Curious, what happened to the engine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife was coming home from a 200 mile trip to her brothers house. My Rav4 has gauges. A "T" in the heater hose broke and the antifreeze came out. When the engine overheated she had no idea until it wouldn't run. Pulling the head for a head gasket their is a corner into the cylinder that has a area where the cylinder wall is thin that appears to have made a burn so surface is not capable of being flat anymore. Best way for me to explain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh man, that sucks! When I bought my 2005 last year I found a crumbled plastic T-fitting in the coolant lines while flushing the anti-freeze. I don't know why they make them out of plastic? Probably add this item to the things for new owners to check after purchase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the part that started my problem. The salvage yard says the fifth digit is a D or a E and they are not fully compatable engine. Just wondering why. I have found a engine but they don't know what that digit was due to the engine already pulled.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finding that the fifth digit is one that identifies the engine.. However my question is this. If my engine is a 2AZFE four cylinder and the one I'm looking at is a 2AZFE engine but my fifth digit is "D" and the other one is "E". so whats the difference. Are they the same engine or not? So is the difference just the vehicle that it came out of? It should be a fit tho.. maybe a exhaust or something different?

·
Registered
400 Posts
It could be the timing chain cover. There is a motor mount on it, and it is different depending in which vehicle the motor was. I used a 2AZ from a Camry, and had to change the timing chain cover to bolt the motor mount. I also had to use the RAV4 valve cover, because the cover in the Camry don't have threaded holes to bolt the RAV4 air box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh man, that sucks! When I bought my 2005 last year I found a crumbled plastic T-fitting in the coolant lines while flushing the anti-freeze. I don't know why they make them out of plastic? Probably add this item to the things for new owners to check after purchase.
Funny story about that plastic T-fitting: I went to go look at an 05 Rav a couple months ago and as soon as I got to the parking lot we agreed to meet at, the guy was looking under the hood. When I went to see what happened, radiator fluid was gushing everywhere. That plastic T-fitting broke up like an old block of cheese! I said thanks anyway and turned around and got back in my car. The Rav had 200k miles and price was high. He said it ran perfect, but it was a clear sign to me that it probably wasn’t a good idea to pull the trigger lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a brass Tee off ebay for mine. It's a lot bigger than I expected. Still done have it finished and running yet. What a mess because of one plastic Tee fitting. I suggest anyone that has a Rav4 to look and see if they have that fitting and replace it if they have the plastic one before they end up with a blown line. Which could lead to bad head gasket and more issues.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That plastic T-fitting broke up like an old block of cheese!
PERFECT analogy! These are exactly the words I would use to describe what I saw. Even the color, looked like smoked cheddar :p

This isn't the only old car I've owned that experienced this; my 2000 Jetta and 2002 Escape also had this exact problem. I'm just stupid enough that I didn't learn my lesson first with the VW, I waited until the Escape shat the bed on a highway before I fixed it. It's only by virtue of dumb luck and habit did I catch it on the RAV.

Think I should go check my 2002 Tundra this weekend :unsure:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes it will.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have been told that some of the Scion engines will fit in a Rav4 2.4L. Will the transmission also fit? I'd like to install a assembled pair..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes the engine will fit, but you will need to interchange some parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can anyone tell me what years of Scion engine and trans will work in my 04 Rav4? The cross references that I find will not link different models they only do years of same model.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you use a Scion engine, you'll need to swap the timing chain cover... because the engine mount on it bolt differently. Same thing for the valve cover, because your RAV4 airbox won't bolt to the Scion valve cover. Maybe some other parts would need to be interchanged... I don't know every differences.

As for the transmission, use your RAV4 trans. I don't know how much they are different... but for sure they don't have the same gear ratio!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Rav4 trans has issues. It seems to need a oil change every 10000 miles so I just figured since it is out of car then I'd just put a different one in. I actually haven't made the purchase yet so I'll ask if the 04 Camry transmission would match. I'm looking at both of those cars that were wrecked and trying to find if they will interchange. I know the Camry engine will with the noted covers which is not problem. But is the trans a go?
If you use a Scion engine, you'll need to swap the timing chain cover... because the engine mount on it bolt differently. Same thing for the valve cover, because your RAV4 airbox won't bolt to the Scion valve cover. Maybe some other parts would need to be interchanged... I don't know every differences.

As for the transmission, use your RAV4 trans. I don't know how much they are different... but for sure they don't have the same gear ratio!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts