Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New member and I'm desperately in search of advice to permanently disable the VSC ('05 L, 4 cyl. 4WD,225K). Started a month ago activating everyday (nearly locking one wheel, dry pavement 3 seconds) around curves at 40 mph. Activated last week at 60 MPH on the turnpike, scary. Now chasing ghosts with new front end work complete,zeroed the steering (w/ front end alignment),..my mechanic read the codes and every light was lit coming into the Stability control module...that can't be...thinking the module went squirrely. My best path is to permanently disconnect the module...is that possible?
Looking forward to hearing some great advice from you fine folks.
Thanks once again.
Walt

·
Registered
158 Posts
Might be better if an admin can move this to the 4.2 section so more people will see it. But is there any chance you can replace just the module (not sure of the cost) to see if that is causing the issues.

Otherwise could it be a speed sensor or yaw sensor malfunctioning and sending a false signal?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I moved this thread to the correct forum. You should be able to disconnect the anti-skid ECU, which will disable ABS, traction control, and vehicle stability control. Probably cruise control as well. And other than a couple of idiot lights, it should drive fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disable VSC

Might be better if an admin can move this to the 4.2 section so more people will see it. But is there any chance you can replace just the module (not sure of the cost) to see if that is causing the issues.

Otherwise could it be a speed sensor or yaw sensor malfunctioning and sending a false signal?
I was hoping to learn how to permanently disable it instead of spending lots of money and with no end in sight. Ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved this thread to the correct forum. You should be able to disconnect the anti-skid ECU, which will disable ABS, traction control, and vehicle stability control. Probably cruise control as well. And other than a couple of idiot lights, it should drive fine.
Okay, great...where is the anti-skid ECU and is it as simple as removing the dc supply?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Agreed, it was just a thought. Reading on the toyota nation forum (sequoia forum) it appears the skid ecu is under the hood by the firewall on the passenger side. (If it is the same on the Rav4) Should be a black box I believe with an arm you have to swing out of the way to remove it. Post 13 in the link below. Junebug might be able to provide a bit more insight though too.

skid control computer replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Is there simply a plug which could be pulled that would disarm the vsc sensor?
It's not that simple. There is a yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, and of course 4 wheel speed sensors. That's from memory, there may be more of them. Have you tried unplugging the anti-skid ECU? Or there may be a fuse you could pull.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Wouldn't be the preferred solution but since the VSC uses the ABS system, disabling ABS and going back to standard old braking might be a reasonable interim alternative to :egad: having a wheel lock up at speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with you guys...and I'm all in. THANK YOU. You guys are awesome.

How do you unplug the anti-skid ECU?

Or maybe the fuse idea...which one should I pull?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts