Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just traded my 05 Rav4 today for an 06 model. Anyways, I really like it except I absolutely HATE the Daytime Running Lights. I think that is the dumbest thing to drive around in the daytime with your lights on. Does anyone know how to disable these things? Specific instructions would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daytime running lights are a safety feature as noted in this article. Besides, what is wrong with driving around with day time running lights on. It's not like you notice them from the drivers seat. JMHO. :shock:

Lack of vehicle conspicuity is a large road safety problem judging both from accident statistics in the world, from accident-in-depth studies, and from road user explanations of collisions. One way to increase vehicle conspicuity also in daytime conditions is to equip the front of the vehicles with lights. In this report lights with this purpose are called Daytime Running Lights (DRL). Initially the variables that will influence vehicle daytime front conspicuity are analyzed. The results of various experimental studies are summarized. It is concluded that lights are an effective measure provided they have certain technical characteristics concerning intensity, light distribution, colour, number etc. Accident statistics from Finland, Sweden, Norway, USA where comparisons of vehicles with and without DRL have been carried out support the concept. The reduction of the daytime collisions due to DRL is estimated to be in the size of 10 percent. The reduction of daytime collisions between cars and unprotected road users is even larger. There are also some negative effects of DRL. However, these are judged to be of minor importance in comparison with the advantages.

Several countries have legislation for motorcycles to drive with the low beam turned on also during daytime. Some countries have legislation requiring low beam or special DRL for all vehicles during daytime (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark). Canada has corresponding legislation for all new vehicles. The Economic Commission for Europe has produced a regulation for DRL. USA and some other countries do not require but allow DRL. The European Community has lately shown some interest in DRL as a road safety measure. However, except for the standard low beam as a DRL, the lighting specifications of DRL in most of these legislations, standards and regulations differ from each other.

Finally the report analyses what kind of lighting specifications should be required of a special DRL, what kind of standard vehicle lights could be accepted as DRL, and what special DRL-solutions could be recommended for motorcycles to improve vehicle conspicuity in an optimal way. For automobiles the recommendations for special DRL are two white lights each with a central intensity of 400-1200 cd and with a specified light distribution.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know call it stupid or whatever but I may not see that they are on but I just don't see the point of riding around in the daytime with my head lights on. I'd love to know where that module is. I had a 99 corolla a few years back and it was a pain in the ass to disable them because the module was inside the dash behind the glove box. Anyways, if someone knows how to do this I would be greatful.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, It's a matter of personal choice. Just like wearing your seatbelt, a helmet and wearing a visor in hockey. I guess I am just being overly careful regaring the safety. My brother used to ride a 350 cc racing motorcycle. I must admit, I did go for a ride on the back. However, as I am older and hopefully wiser, I have mad a conscious decision to not do things that may jeopardize my future quality of life.

With that said, I don't know how to disable the day time running lights. 8)

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Makes sense... If it's an optional feature, it had to be physically installed... So if it's not permanently welded into the bowels of the RAV, you should be able to remove/disable/bypass it.

Not that I'd recommend doing that to any safety devices... :shock:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this expression cracks me up....hehehe :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I guess there are two schools of thought among 4.3 owners....those that have DRLs and wish they didn't.......and those that don't and wish they did..... :wink:
Personally, I equate driving without to riding a bike without a helmet......go for it if you wish.....but it shud disable any medical coverage you might have so the rest of us don't have to pay for your folly........again MHO..... :roll:

Having said that, here's something that might work, but it's quick and dirty......
On my '05 if I start the engine with the emerg brake on, the DRLs don't come on, but return when I release the emerg brake.........SO.....if one removes the plug or breaks the wire that must go to the switch somewhere on the emerg brake, it will disable the DRLs. If you break the wire and install a switch, you can then restore the DRLs at any time. The only drawback is the emerg brake lite in the dash is on as a reminder that the DRLs are off......
I haven't looked into this, for the above reasons, but it shud work...
G/L

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok here is an update to this. I went to poking around on it this afternoon and in the fuse box that is under the hood is where you disonnect them...sorta. There are 5 relays total in there. Three of them are labeled DRL and two of them say DIM HEAD. I removed the three DRL ones and whola no more Daytime running lights....however my high beams did not work anymore. I've tried several different combinations and even the DIM HEAD ones and at one point had it where one high beam would work and the other didn't but I'm fairly confident this is where you disable them. My only question is just which ones do I unplug, it's like playing a guessing game since there are 5 relays total and I'm in South Georgia where it was 90 degress here today so it was a bit too hot to play with it for too long. Any ideas on just which relay or relays to unplug?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah what a great idea! You should work for Toyota since your such a genious :p

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And none of those relays affect the low beams or parking lights?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
vallesj said:
What about just cutting the wires that are going to the lights?
Errrr.... Bad idea... Like flyingn said, today's DRLs are typically produced by running the high beam bulbs at half their rated voltage.

From Toyota's website:
Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
The daytime running light system activates the low beam headlights at a reduced intensity during daylight to keep the car highly visible to other vehicles. On some models, a dash-mounted sensor automatically switches between DRLs and the normal intensity low beams according to the lighting conditions (nighttime, tunnel, etc.). (Note: The DRL system activates either low beams or high beams - it varies by model.)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here is the final scoop on this because as of now I give up on trying to disable them. There are two relays under the hood called DIM HEAD. If you remove them then the DRL's no longer work. HOWEVER only one of your high beams will work. I tried only taking out one of the DIM HEAD relays and that didn't work. I thought I was so close in having this figured out. Hrmmmmm.........

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually the 6 volts applied to the DRL's probably comes directly from
the battery through a voltage reducing circuit. The high beam voltage
has to go through the switch on the steering column. So, there's
got to be two seperate voltage paths I would guess. It's a case of
interrupting the 6V line while leaving the 12V line intact.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like daytime running lights use different relays. It's got to be something that they had to install else it would not have been an option they charge for. $50 for a $5 relay. That sounds about right. Suggest that you talk to your dealerships service manager. If that's what is going on, you may be able to buy the correct relay that will eliminate the daytime running lights.

I have ordered my Rav4 with daytime rulling lights. Driving a motorcycle has made me very aware of using DRL to be more visible. It's a dealer installed option so I will ask them about the relays and see if I can keep any relays they replace as a backup.

Enjoy your RAV4

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was hoping that Daytime Running lights would be manditory by this time. How many times have you seen somebody driving down the road and their headlights are not on during the evening hours. As the population of older drivers increases and vision problems become more common, it is a great benefit for those who can't see so well.

Also, I think it would be a great idea if the headlights would come on when the windshield wipers are used.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah....but if your wipers are set on intermittent, does that mean
your lights would blink on & off also? :lol:

1 - 20 of 158 Posts