Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have a 4.1 RAV4, and the horn sounds like a wounded duck's mating call.

I put a deposit down on a new 2006 Base I4 4x4 a couple weeks ago, but my wife and I realized that we hadn't checked out what the horn sounds like.

Please tell me i won't be embarrased by my pathetic horn, and I can honk my way out of any sticky situations.

-jf

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it's quite effective for pedestrians and other cars around you; it gets their attention, anyway. But from inside the car it does sound woeful. Maybe that's the soundproofing at work?

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I have my family in the car and I beep at character in a Statue of Liberty costume waving cars in for tax service.
My 11 year old son leans forward and says "Dad, did you just honk?"

Yep

Not having heard the horn before, He asks incredulously, "That's your Honk?". Then he deliver the final blow, "it sounds like a bumper car at Worlds of Fun."
Yes, It's still a weenie horn...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JohnnyFlame said:
My parents have a 4.1 RAV4, and the horn sounds like a wounded duck's mating call.

I put a deposit down on a new 2006 Base I4 4x4 a couple weeks ago, but my wife and I realized that we hadn't checked out what the horn sounds like.

Please tell me i won't be embarrased by my pathetic horn, and I can honk my way out of any sticky situations.

-jf
Actually, it does sound weak. BUT there is an option. There is an OFFICAL much louder "premium horn" offered by Toyota Japan made specifically for the 2006 Rav4s. This is a MOD that I *NEED* so once I find out how I will import it then I will see if there can be a group buy.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tiredoffleetvehicles said:
So I have my family in the car and I beep at character in a Statue of Liberty costume waving cars in for tax service.
OFF Topic...but, you must live near us! LOL! We had the Statue of Liberty waving to us every day!...plus, two Uncle Sams! This was for Liberty Tax Service...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just used my horn for the first time the other day. Sounded like the Road Runner Cartoon. Meep Meep... Don't think I'll be scaring anyone to jump out of the way with that... :?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The RAV4 horn has always been piss weak. I plan on replacing mine with the horns that come on the Land Cruiser 100 series. They sound much better.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like csis_agent's idea to get a 'premium horn', I would do it if I were you. I have also seen an electronic 'air horn'. Don't know how it sounds like compared to the real air horn, but it sounds like it would be loud and non-ducky :twisted:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody here know what the OEM horn's dB rating is? Just wanted to have a point of comparison when looking for another horn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
tiredoffleetvehicles said:
My 11 year old son leans forward and says "Dad, did you just honk?"

Yep

Not having heard the horn before, He asks incredulously, "That's your Honk?". Then he deliver the final blow, "it sounds like a bumper car at Worlds of Fun."
Yes, It's still a weenie horn...
That is really funny.. ...can I hijack this thread and we can all start posting what the worst job we've ever had was.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Autozone (or whoever) has cheap high & low horns that can be installed in addition to the factory horn...this is what I did on my Mazda 3 that sounded even worse than the RAV 4.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The OEM RAV horn is a joke. :( I replaced mine with a set of OEM 2005 Camry horns from a 'pick-n-pull'. Not bad, at least it sounds full size and not econo :mrgreen:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
new horns

I replaced my horns yesterday with a pair from AutoZone. I can't stand the "Road Runner" horn.......the replacements are much better. Not as deep as say a Cadillac horn.....they sound more like an Italian sports car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My Matrix was installed a set of Hella horn and the sound is great, sound level 118dB.

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
I put the Freeway Blasters on last week, not much room in the OEM location, but with a little trimming on the horn bell and reshaping of the supplied mounting brackets, they mounted Ok. 130Db for $15 each, 1 high, 1 low tone, they use the same flat terminal as the OEM horns, so no wiring changes were needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts