Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Have a 2006 RAV 4 base model 4 cylinder AWD with 150,000 miles. I want to keep it running well for about another 50,000 miles.

I have looked in the scheduled maintenance guide but it doesn't go beyond 120,000 miles.

So far I know:

air and cabin filters - every 30k miles (or when needed0
spark plugs - at 100,000 miles and every 50k thereafter
oil change/filter - every 5k miles
coolant - at 100,000 miles and every 50k thereafter

What I don't know:

transmission fluid - how often does this need to be changed?
belts? - I have read there is a serpentine belt or timing chain that should be replaced on high mileage Toyotas but there doesn't seem to be universal agreement about it.

Anything else I am missing? I am not automotively inclined, I take it to a local shop for the work.

thank you,

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
At 150K the trans fluid (and filter) should have been changed/drained at least twice at a minimum. The belt is way past due for a new one. The chain should be good for the life of the engine but the water pump and parts that route the chain should be replaced. Coolant is past due. Brake fluid should be flushed/renewed every three years.

There are obvious things like tires, brake pads, rotors, calipers, that should at least be inspected and replaced as required.

Certainly there is more to be done with all wheel drive like fluids. Others will no doubt come up with other items.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
transmission fluid and filter were changed at 108k. The Toyota scheduled maintenance guide only says to inspect at regular intervals. How often is it supposed to be replaced?

Coolant was changed at 103k. Toyota says that is due every 50k miles after 100k, so it is due now. Why do you say past due?

The maintenance guide says nothing about serpentine belts, water pump, or timing chain. How often do you think they should be changed, when you say they are "way past due"? Where do you get that information from?

The maintenance guide says nothing about replacing brake fluid every 3 years, just to inspect brake lines and hoses, pads and discs, lining and drums.

Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Why do you say past due?
Because you didn't state initially that any of this had been done, that's why.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water. That lessens the braking ability and corrodes internally. That is why you change it on a regular basis. Honda says every three years for instance.

Common sense dictates that an accessory drive belt has stretched or deteriorated over 150K miles. If it pops you are stranded. That's why you replace it.

Not everything is in a manual. The water pump and belt tensioners may be fine but since you want to keep it running for an extended period it just makes sense to change them. Your call on that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'm back.

I did the transmission, coolant, spark plugs, all the usual like filters and oil and checked everything.

The mechanic inspected but did not think the serpentine belt needed replacing. He also looked at the brake fluid and felt it was in great shape.

However, my engine is now making a slight rattling sound which is most apparent on idling. He couldn't tell what it was without any further inspection but felt given the age of the vehicle, not worth pursuing until I noticed some kind of adverse effect.

Looking at the comments above, the water pump, serpentine belt, and "belt tensioners" may be candidates for replacing. While they're doing that, it might open up the engine to take a look and see if they see anything else. Meanwhile, perhaps the sound is related to the above items?

Any other thoughts, or anything else I missed?

·
Registered
162 Posts
However, my engine is now making a slight rattling sound which is most apparent on idling.

Looking at the comments above, the water pump, serpentine belt, and "belt tensioners" may be candidates for replacing. While they're doing that, it might open up the engine to take a look and see if they see anything else. Meanwhile, perhaps the sound is related to the above items?

Any other thoughts, or anything else I missed?
if all those items listed are original, i would include the alternator since they are in that area already, my vehicle year is the 07' 4cyl and had the engine rebuilt under the ZE7 warranty and paid extra for other items(water pump, valve job....etc) prior to that I had noises in that area and replaced my belt tensioner, belt,water pump at 110,00 miles and the engine rebuild at 150,000.....still had a metal knocking or pinigng sound, finally replaced the alternator and solved the final noise issue, bearing was failing. so have your mechanic replace it, can be easily checked with an open or hollow pipe with your ear on it. there is also a pulley in there at the back of engine and it does have a little play in it, it spun freely so i did not seeing it being the source of any engine noises, just the alternator was the source.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With some patience, the alternator and belt can be replaced DIY.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Since the OP has 4WD the transfer case and rear differential fluid should be changed if it has not been done before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if all those items listed are original, i would include the alternator since they are in that area already, my vehicle year is the 07' 4cyl and had the engine rebuilt under the ZE7 warranty and paid extra for other items(water pump, valve job....etc) prior to that I had noises in that area and replaced my belt tensioner, belt,water pump at 110,00 miles and the engine rebuild at 150,000.....still had a metal knocking or pinigng sound, finally replaced the alternator and solved the final noise issue, bearing was failing. so have your mechanic replace it, can be easily checked with an open or hollow pipe with your ear on it. there is also a pulley in there at the back of engine and it does have a little play in it, it spun freely so i did not seeing it being the source of any engine noises, just the alternator was the source.
Recent battery problems, battery is dying though only at 4 years (Costco) so will replace and return dead battery to Costco for pro-rated refund. Tech found the alternator is having the same knocking/pinging sound and problem as you, failing alternator bearings. So I will take this opportunity to replace serpentine belt and water pump along with alternator.

Are the belt tensioners needed? Is it easier to do simultaneously?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Recent battery problems, battery is dying though only at 4 years (Costco)

Are the belt tensioners needed? Is it easier to do simultaneously?
yep, that seems to be the "norm" 4 years on battery, only got 3 yrs on a toyota trustart batt....previous onwer for my rav4 got it from/installed by dealer 1 month before i purchased vehicle from private sale, so don't get a truestart(toyota). as far as the single belt tensioner, again if they're in there, should replace it, it's difficult, you need to remove the right motor mount and jack up engine, again if you are getting serp belt noises and/or weird noises in that area at that mileage it's best to replace, water pump, serpbelt tensioner and alternator.

that repair is abbreviated in this video, although this is a camry in video it's still the same steps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts