Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed these on my 2009 Limited with power seat last week. I am 6' tall and now have ample legroom. Only issue is that steering wheel does not extend out enough to be totally comfortable. I must drive with seat more upright than usual.

Instructions were straightforward and easy to follow. No need to actually remove the seat. I slid the new brackets in under the existing seat (just leaned it back onto the back seat).

Haven't done an extended trip yet - will really be able to tell the difference then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Installed these on my 2009 Limited with power seat last week. I am 6' tall and now have ample legroom. Only issue is that steering wheel does not extend out enough to be totally comfortable. I must drive with seat more upright than usual.

Instructions were straightforward and easy to follow. No need to actually remove the seat. I slid the new brackets in under the existing seat (just leaned it back onto the back seat).

Haven't done an extended trip yet - will really be able to tell the difference then.
Were the assembly instructions the same with the power seats as they would be without power seats? Based on the steering wheel not extended enough, would you still extend the seat if you had it to do over again?

It's my wife's car (she's 5'2") and i'm 6'1. When I drive it I would like to have a little more leg room and wondering if there's any downside. I also have the power seats. Has any one else done this with power seats and are you happy you did it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Instructions don't specifically address power seats, however the power seat mounts to the floor the same way the regular seat does. You simply unbolt the existing seat, slide the brackets in place over the mounting holes in the floor (I just leaned the seat back to get the brackets in) bolt on the brackets (loosely at first, then bolt the seat to the holes in the new brackets. Brackets are made from very heavy weight steel and are painted flat black. The existing bracket covers that cover the back of the seat tracks still work.

It gives you an additional 4 inches of legroom. I'm 6 ft. even and my wife is also 5'2". I was concerned that she would not get the seat close enough, however that doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

I spent about 11 hours in the Rav this weekend (2 - 5 1/2 hour trips) and can tell you that I was not nearly as stiff or sore as I would have been before installing the brackets. In an ideal world, the steering wheel would extend 2 additional inches. Since it doesn't, I find I'm driving with the seat back in a more upright position than before - but I'm no longer getting a sore butt from leaning back at a weird angle as I was before. I'm only using an additional 2" or so of travel - I don't need the full 4 inches. I don't have exceptionally long arms - so you may find the steering wheel to be a non-issue.

I actually considered trading this vehicle in for something bigger before installing these brackets. So far I'm very pleased.

B

·
0 Posts
As a B Pressure Welder I would not trust those welds in the pics posted in the event of a collision. It looks very much like there is a lack of fusion on the lower leg of the fillet. It also looks like the weld was poured in cold. The bead looks ropey even for a GMAW weld. I realise GMAW was used because it is quick, inexpensive and there is a mismatch in the thicknesses of the materials being joined but I would have used TIG for that job to ensure complete fusion and to eliminate the metalurgical notches inherant in cold GMAW beads. That's assuming I would even tackle the job at all. The Safety Officer in me wonders about the legality of the mod seeing the seat is part of the vehicle's safety equipment. I suspect an insurance company would not cover anything once that mod was discovered. Just saying is all.... My advise would be to purchase new forward seat mounts and return the seat to stock condition before any authorities discover the mod.

Being 5'-11" myself I have never had an issue with the seat in my RAV4 not moving far enough back. All the way back in the stock seat is just slightly too far back for me. I do have seat and foot room issues but they are not related to the position of the seat. I find there is not enough room under the brake pedal for both feet and I can only stretch out one leg at a time. I also find the bench part of the seat (under the legs) is not long enough and the lack of thigh support becomes uncomfortable on long trips. I have thought long and hard about both issues and can think of no suitable solutions.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As a B Pressure Welder I would not trust those welds in the pics posted in the event of a collision. It looks very much like there is a lack of fusion on the lower leg of the fillet. It also looks like the weld was poured in cold. The bead looks ropey even for a GMAW weld. I realise GMAW was used because it is quick, inexpensive and there is a mismatch in the thicknesses of the materials being joined but I would have used TIG for that job to ensure complete fusion and to eliminate the metalurgical notches inherant in cold GMAW beads. That's assuming I would even tackle the job at all. The Safety Officer in me wonders about the legality of the mod seeing the seat is part of the vehicle's safety equipment. I suspect an insurance company would not cover anything once that mod was discovered. Just saying is all.... My advise would be to purchase new forward seat mounts and return the seat to stock condition before any authorities discover the mod.

Being 5'-11" myself I have never had an issue with the seat in my RAV4 not moving far enough back. All the way back in the stock seat is just slightly too far back for me. I do have seat and foot room issues but they are not related to the position of the seat. I find there is not enough room under the brake pedal for both feet and I can only stretch out one leg at a time. I also find the bench part of the seat (under the legs) is not long enough and the lack of thigh support becomes uncomfortable on long trips. I have thought long and hard about both issues and can think of no suitable solutions.
Yes, quite a crappy weld job. Not enough heat and no puddling and not enough gas (mig). All the weld is sitting on top of the metal... no penetration at all.

m

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just installed the extendmyseat brackets on my '10 Limited.

The brackets are one-piece so there aren't any welding issues mentioned above with the homemade solutions. The kit is simply two brackets and four bolts.

Installation was fairly easy. I simply unbolted my seat and slid the brackets in underneath. There was one snag, however: There is a depression in the carpet at the stock rear bolt points. The bracket is a flat piece that sits on the ridge around the depression. The instructions say to re-use the factory bolt but I had trouble getting it started because the bracket sat up higher. I was finally able to get the bolt started and tightened it to crush the surrounding carpet.

Results? Because of the bracket thickness/carpet issue, you sit up higher than stock (about 1/2-3/4"). It wouldn't be an issue except I am fairly tall and kept the seat at its lowest point before the bracket. The seat now goes w-a-a-y back.:thumbs_up: Another poster mentioned that the steering wheel does not go back far enough but it is no worse than driving an old Italian car (any ex-Fiat or Alfa owner would be right at home). On a longer trip, I can put the seat further back and now I actually have some stretch room while I'm driving. It should also be noted that the factory floormats for the rear seat will no longer fit on the driver's side because of the extra space required by the brackets.

Overall, I give this a B+. If the seat height issue were resolved, it would get a solid A.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My first post here :) New owner, just picked up my '06 Ltd on Monday :) A step up from our Mazda3 GT...

I saw this post and was horrified! Wow!

I am 6'3" and I feel your pain! Looking at the solutions posted here, I have to say that I disagree with both options: the OP's home-made welds and extendmyseat.

For #1, home made welds, as a professional engineer, I would never recommend this to anyone. This would make me liable in case of an accident and I would loose my engineering license as well as probably get sued by either the injured party or some 3rd party. This situation is clearly described in Engineering Law. If the quote from it is needed, I can certainly look it up...

What happens if there is an accident: weld strength/quality is questionable, seat belt and pretensioner points were modified (we are not moving the B-pillar seat belt position nor side/front air-bags), body dynamics are different, etc. In order to properly qualify this, one would need to do crash tests.

Now with that, for #2, the company extendmyseat did not do that and, under their FAQ they stated that they take no responsibilities for anyone's installation of their product (see their release of liability clause). If this was a Toyota accessory, then it would have been fully qualified and there would be guaranties behind it.

Consider this: in case there is an accident, and insurance company finds out that you modified the seat in any way, do you think that they would cover you?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Consider this: in case there is an accident, and insurance company finds out that you modified the seat in any way, do you think that they would cover you?
When I ordered/installed the extendmyseat, I was well aware that the seat would be repositioned and could affect such things as the effect of the airbag, etc. My bigger concern was the strength of the bracket itself, but it seems to be pretty solid.

As for insurance paying, if this is a "normal" accident, there should be no reason why the insurance company would not pay. Would they not pay for injuries if there were, say, loose items in the cargo area? However, if the situation came to the point where one was suing Toyota, any modifications could diminish your case.

As long as the bracket does not _cause_ an accident (i.e. by breaking) I am happy with it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Keeton

Take a sharp knife and trim the carpet around the one leg that is holding this leg up. You could also make 4 notches and pull them back and set the bracket, then let the 4 corners loose. This way if you where to remove the brackets, you could let the 4 corners back down and fill up the hole. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to thank everyone for their feedback and comments in regards to the extendmyseat brackets.

Here are some answers to some questions posted within the thread:

-the brackets work on the power and manual seats.
-the brackets are laser cut out of a single piece of 10 gauge mild steel. The 10 gauge is stronger than the OEM steel used for the seats and floorboard.
-the weld points are spot welded onto the single piece of steel. The weld points are of no safety concern as the factory bolt is secured through the solid piece of steel into the floorboard. 10 gauge steel has a tensile strength of 35,000 pounds per inch.
-the brackets are fabricated in Los Angeles by a 100 year old fabrication shop. We spent over a year engineering the process.

If you have any questions, please send me an email. I am the founder of extendmyseat.com and want to help other tall people like myself. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Also if someone could devise an extend-a-wheel kit to enable longer extension for the telescoping steering wheel, I and probably a lot of others would be very grateful! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Extendmyseat.com makes brackets for both seats, takes about 10mins to fit and is very professional looking and solid. My seat now extends back further than I need, does however reduce the back seat room, but I don't sit there anyway.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I need leg room so i plan on getting the bracket but I also need some head room thanks to the moonroof. any thoughts?
As I said in my review from a couple of years ago, the extendmyseat bracket will raise the seat about 1/2"-3/4" (12-20mm).

Do you currently have a headroom issue? The RAV is pretty generous in that regard so even with the bracket, I don't even come close to the headliner/sunroof, and I sit pretty tall in the saddle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ya I hit my head where the headliner is at its lowest at the edge of the moonroof opening. kind of sucks but guess ill have to get used to it now that I bought it lol. wife likes it so guess thats good! would be nice to have more leg room though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh by the way I tried to find info and must have missed your riview. the maufacturer says it will raise the seat .143" which wouldnt be to bad 1/2-3/4 of an inch is a lot of head room to loose. I had a rav4 without the sunroof and I was fine but the 1.7" the sunroof took up sucks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Extendmyseat brackets for 2006 RAV4 (all positive!)

Hi everybody I'm pretty new here, and I know there are lots of comments on here regarding the extendmyseat.com brackets, but I just want to add my review. I ordered my brackets thru Amazon for my 2006 RAV4,and I recieved them in 7 days, and today we installed them with absolutely no issues in about 30 minutes or less. They fit perfectly and we never even had to cut the carpet as some users have claimed that they had to to in some reviews. I would definitely suggest this product to anyone who has a RAV 4 and is currently feeling cramped while driving. I am 6' 2" and I also have no issues with the height on my RAV with a moonroof, and I can get in & out & drive the RAV with my hat on. I would definitely buy them again if needed. My advice is that a person shouldn't even mess around trying to jerry-rig something to extend your seat back - just spring the bucks for the store bought brackets. You won't be sorry - even though they seem a bit pricey, they are worth it.
That's my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to chime in on the weld issue. First, not they don't look great, clearly not enough heat. But second, how strong do you think they need to be? Someone above said the g forces on the seat would be immense. How much does the seat weigh? You do realize that the seat belts that are holding the much more considerable mass of a person are bolted to the car and not the seat? Those welds only have to hold the seat itself, not the person in the seat.

But the extend a seat things look nice, if a little pricey for what they are. And yeah my concern would be the steering wheel being too far away. I must say I loved my passat, the seat actually went further back then I needed (never happens at 6'4") and the steering wheel adjusted in and out.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
37 Participants
mxer125
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing