Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
What would happen in a rear end collision? I imagine it would be the seat holding your body mass at this point and not the seat belt.
:shrug: I really don't know. I wouldn't want to try to convince anyone that this bracket is sufficient in any kind of collision. Especially in a front end or an overturn. The manufacturer didn't make any claims (that I saw) regarding this nor did I see anything about a guarantee concerning it's strength or about any testing regarding these safety questions. The brackets seem pretty strong to me but but common sense tells me that the original setup might be safer. My opinion is that maybe this is why they are selling so high - they have to collect enough to pay the product liability insurance (just a thought). I can only say that everyone will just have to ask themselves if they want to gain the comfort of the extra leg room - and then just hope for the best where the safety issue is concerned. Personally that's what I did, because I luv almost every other thing about my RAV - it's a fun yet practical, dependable ride with all the power you could ever want in an SUV and it still delivers decent fuel mileage with the V6, and I'm not giving it up for a gas guzzling lead sled that doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way!
However you decide - good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am just over 6' with long legs, and I wish the seat would go back just another inch. Any more than that I don't need. What I am wondering is what the myseatextender thingys look like in the back seat foot area when only 1" of the extra 3-4 inches of travel is used. Do the seat extender brackets extend far into the footwell area? Will they "catch" the feet of someone sitting behind the driver?

·
Registered
14 Posts
fish21121 - You can see the brackets behind thge drivers seat, but they don't stick up to look out of place nor do they interfere much with back seat passengers foot room at all. You'll notice there are plastic covers over the bolts on your existing bracket and these same covers snap over the bolts on the replacement brackets also. I will try to get a pic of this setup to post here with the seat pushed back only an inch - so you can get a better idea. I'll try to do this later today some time.
P_D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I've got some pics. I'll attempt to upload them here. This is a new experience so we'll see what happens..
I moved the seat back all the way then I moved it forward about 3 inches. The front passenger seat is about half way forward.
I couldn't decide which pics to use so I'm putting them all up.
BTW: the floor mats were from my old Sienna Van. I cut them to fit my RAV when I traded.
As you can see they are a really nice fit.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm six feet and even at the furthest back position of the driver seat, I cannot easily stretch my legs fully. I need to arch them a bit. Then, while driving a KIA Forte, I realized.... damn.... I can easily stretch my legs out no problem.

In what world should stretching your legs be easier in a small car than an SUV. Then I realized the culprit.

It's not that the RAV hasn't the leg room up front, it's because of the under-steering wheel plastic mount. That damn thing is way to big and by its construction, drops too low above the pedal area. I think if the breadth of that shield had be sculpted higher and tighter to the under area of the steering wheel / above the pedals, everything would be fine for leg stretching.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ROLLTIDE
It's not that the RAV hasn't the leg room up front, it's because of the under-steering wheel plastic mount. That damn thing is way to big and by its construction, drops too low above the pedal area. I think if the breadth of that shield had be sculpted higher and tighter to the under area of the steering wheel / above the pedals, everything would be fine for leg stretching.
I disagree. This may work for you, but is insignificant in my experience.
Probably due to the fact that we are all built a little bit differently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recent first time Toyota owner with a 2012 V6 RAV4 that I've really developed a liking to. I'm 6' with long legs and the lack of leg room was an issue for me as well. I read through this forum and was interested in the ExtendMySeat product but discouraged from some of the negative reports on the company, correct product, shipping delays, customer service, the list goes on. Amazon did not have the product for the 2012 RAV4, but I did find it from Andy's Auto Sport. The price is lower than direct from the manufacturer plus the shipping is included. I contacted Andy's with my concerns and was assured there would be no problems dealing with them. With some trepidation I ordered the seat extenders for the drivers seat and received updates on shipping and had the product in one week. I installed them that same evening on my own in less than an hour. I did cut the carpet in one location under the seat and out of sight. WARNING: Be careful when cutting the carpet as there are wires running under the carpet. I did not cut any wires, but I could imagine it happening. Everything lined up with some tugging and pushing the job was complete.

My wife is shorter than me and was concerned she would not be able to reach the peddles and drive the car. She was the first to sit and adjust the power seat forward and there was additional travel forward she did not need. That also was her first opportunity to drive the RAV4 which reminded her of her Tracker. I was next to give the seat a go and what a night and day improvement. There remained addition travel back that I did not use once I got comfortable. As I mentioned at the beginning, I'm developing a liking to this vehicle, now more than ever.

The product is a bit pricey, but it's well manufactured and I have no concern about its strength in a potential accident. I would like to thank Papa_D for posting which lead me to make the purchase. I highly recommend this product for those feeling a bit cramped in their RAV4. It's now even more of a joy to drive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I too installed the extendaseat rails on the driver's side only. I'm 6'1" and SWMBO is about 5'6". They work ideally for both of us and i do not notice sitting "higher" as one poster mentioned. Maybe I do but it sure isn't by much.

Installation instructions were good ... not great as i had to figure out a couple of things regarding which rail goes on which side (the written instructions and the web instructions conflicted here for the RAV4. I was also peeved that there was a 15% promotion going on. Unfortunately I kept getting kicked out of there website when trying to order. of course, the day day I could access everything fine but they wouldn't honor the 15% promo price (Icalled). Basically said tough luck pal!

So an A+ for product and shipping, B+ for installation instructions and an F for caring about your customers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BugJr did you deal directly from the manufacturer for your purchase? I purchased the ExtendMySeat brackets through Andy's Auto Sport and was very satisfied with their service. I would recommend dealing with them when buying this product. It's been just over one year since I installed the seat extenders in my V6 4.3 and I'm enjoying the drive whenever I'm behind the wheel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BugJr did you deal directly from the manufacturer for your purchase? I purchased the ExtendMySeat brackets through Andy's Auto Sport and was very satisfied with their service. I would recommend dealing with them when buying this product. It's been just over one year since I installed the seat extenders in my V6 4.3 and I'm enjoying the drive whenever I'm behind the wheel.
I did deal directly with the manufacturer via their website. I added my comments anecdotally as I realize this was an old thread but I thought I'd add my experience to the knowledge base. I don't need a second set of rails (for our RAV anyway) so may never have to deal with them again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a new to me 2008 Rav4 V6 limited. Being 6'4" requires me to move the seat back in almost all my cars. This was a free mod that does nothing to the safety of the seat. All controls and airbags still work. It was not the easiest modification, so beware.
Gives you exactly 1 inch of extra room.

6/10 on project scale

Tools
Vise
12mm, 14mm
Stepped drill bit.
2 Philips
needle nose
small square file
hammer, punch, chisel
several Flathead screwdrivers
rotary tool with cut off wheel.

1. Start with the seats all the way back. Remove them and place them on a sturdy table.
2. Remove the 2 12mm bolts that hold the screws to the front mounts.
3. Remove the plastic pieces at the back of the rails. They use a 2 Philips on the inside of the seat. the side trim needs move out of the way to get them off.
4. Grind off the heads on the inside pins that hold the rear piece of metal and punch out the pins. You do not need to keep them or the rear inserts.
5. The rails will now slide off with some force.
6. Unbolt the screw from the rails and remove the plastic guides inside it.
7. We are using the back small screw locating hole as the new front and will drill a hole exactly 1 inch back from the original bolt hole.
8. Mount the rails in a vise and pound the rear tabs flat. Then use a file to clean them up. the sliding rollers need to move over this area.
9. Install the plastic glides and mount the screw in the new hole you drilled.
10. Partially install the slide and place the rollers back in there groves. screws should both be bottomed out.
This is kind of a pain and will require pushing and pulling the slide as they are a very tight fit.
Use a flathead and be careful. Once the slides are all the way on tap the sliding rollers to they bottom out and are even.
There is nothing stopping them from working there way out if you slide the seat a lot.
11. Mount the front 12mm nuts and back plastic pieces. Rear metal pieces used to by all the way forward stops, but will no longer work.
12. Mount he seat back in the car.
13. Drink a beer.
will post pictures when I have enough posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
... snipped ... Gives you exactly 1 inch of extra room.
IIRC - the Extend-A Seat option provides between 4-6" of additional seat sliding capacity. Certainly more than the 3" I needed.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts