Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. I just bought my moms 2006 RAV4 with 125K miles. It's going to be my winter car while my Mustang rests in the stable. They only did the regulate service which is just oil. Would you guys recommend changing the rear diff, transfer case, tranny and front diff oils? I guess I should also do a radiator flush and brake flush. Thoughts. Does the Chiltons or Haynes manual go through the steps pretty good? Does the tranny have a filter? If so should I change it?

Any things I should watch for or also inspect? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
Don't know about Chiltons or Haynes but yes to all of the above if it has never been done.
Yes, there is a tranny filter which will be seen when the pan is dropped, change it. Which engine is it? Especially if it's a V-6, or even a four banger, don't trust the battery if it's three years old, replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like over the 1,000 mile trip from NYC to WI it burnt or leaked 1.5 quarts of oil. My parents sold me a lemon

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Looks like over the 1,000 mile trip from NYC to WI it burnt or leaked 1.5 quarts of oil. My parents sold me a lemon
your parents scammed you big...that is the 2.4 liter motor and it burns thru oil like a politician thru tax dollars...take it to toyota and have them test it...ones that fail their oil burning test get repaired for free...remind your parents that you are the one that pics their nursing home and if they pull that kind of stunt again it may not be a nice one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't buy the repair manual. Someone here already uploaded the repair manual for our vehicle in one of these threads. Just look for it. I have a copy if you cannot find it. Just let me know.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It's entirely possible that a vehicle driven slowly for many short trips for a long period of time(NYC?)would burn oil on a long, high speed trip(NYC to WI?). Top it off, maybe even have it changed and track it from that point on.
If you suspect a leak, that should be easily spotted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your parents scammed you big...that is the 2.4 liter motor and it burns thru oil like a politician thru tax dollars...take it to toyota and have them test it...ones that fail their oil burning test get repaired for free...remind your parents that you are the one that pics their nursing home and if they pull that kind of stunt again it may not be a nice one...
HA hey.

Don't buy the repair manual. Someone here already uploaded the repair manual for our vehicle in one of these threads. Just look for it. I have a copy if you cannot find it. Just let me know.
OK, Thanks

It's entirely possible that a vehicle driven slowly for many short trips for a long period of time(NYC?)would burn oil on a long, high speed trip(NYC to WI?). Top it off, maybe even have it changed and track it from that point on.
If you suspect a leak, that should be easily spotted.
Just found the LSC ZE7 online will be calling Toyota tomorrow. I might just watch it over the next month and make sure it really is burning the oil and not leaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts