Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My parents filled up the gas tank tonight (she definitely used 83 gas) and while driving home noticed that the following lights are on: VSC, ABS, 4WD, MAINT REQD, BRAKE. This is for a 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited AWD.

I hooked up my CEL reader and can see the RPM's, voltages, sensor readings etc but strangely it keeps saying that there are no CEL errors found on the ECU. I disconnected and tried several more times. Same thing, then noticed that the actual CEL is not on! I have pulled CEL codes with same equipment on this exact vehicle for problems in the past.

Also, we did recently replace the battery about 2-3 months ago. I also tightened the gas cap and reset ECU but lights still persist. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Hello,

My parents filled up the gas tank tonight (she definitely used 83 gas) and while driving home noticed that the following lights are on: VSC, ABS, 4WD, MAINT REQD, BRAKE. This is for a 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited AWD.

I hooked up my CEL reader and can see the RPM's, voltages, sensor readings etc but strangely it keeps saying that there are no CEL errors found on the ECU.
Your code reader probably only reads engine codes from the ECM. The lights are showing an error in the VSC/Skid control ECU. These can be read with more expensive code readers that are programmed for Toyota codes as well as a laptop with Techstream. I've heard that you can buy 85 octane gas in Colorado, but I've never heard of 83 octane gas. Maybe your parents didn't put the gas cap back on tight--that will cause these errors as well. The MAINT REQD light is programmed to come on every 5000 miles to indicate it's time for an oil change. The reset procedure is in the owner's manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
All JuneBug's statements are correct. W/o a CEL you'll either need a fancier reader (I now have a $300+ All-Code Autel) or you can use the jumper-read-the-blinks method mentioned in Tex's link. That's how I used to do it.

I expect you'll find a failed or contaminated rear ABS sensor. After cleaning & messing with the left rear on my '06 4WD I eventually replaced it. When the right rear went I stopped messing and just replaced it.

In any case I highly doubt it has anything to do with the gasoline or cap and isn't a panic run-to-the-dealer situation. All that happens with the lights on is since the ECU doesn't know the speed of one wheel, 4WD and ABS are disabled. The RAV4 "reverts" to a FWD non-ABS car of years ago. If it's anything like mine at least initially I could often get the lights to go off by restarting the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your code reader probably only reads engine codes from the ECM. The lights are showing an error in the VSC/Skid control ECU. These can be read with more expensive code readers that are programmed for Toyota codes as well as a laptop with Techstream. I've heard that you can buy 85 octane gas in Colorado, but I've never heard of 83 octane gas. Maybe your parents didn't put the gas cap back on tight--that will cause these errors as well. The MAINT REQD light is programmed to come on every 5000 miles to indicate it's time for an oil change. The reset procedure is in the owner's manual.
Hello!

Sorry, I meant to say 87 octane. We always get it from Costco typically. I reset the codes using the pin 4 and 13 jumper method, but the lights came back on after I was getting off the highway on exit ramp after 6-8 minutes of driving. Here are the error code flashes:

4WD: 9 6
ABS: 3 4
PS: 4 1
VSV: 4 3

Any ideas? I know it is the holidays so do want to wish everyone here a happy holidays and thank you for assisting me and my parents.

Edit: I am guessing problem could be ABS 34 = Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. Going to try to figure out how to clean it... is there any videos for cleaning? Couldn't find any on youtube.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
The ABS 34 jumped right out at me! It's for the left rear ABS sensor and I've seen it many many times when I was fooling with mine before finally just replacing it. I'd ignore the other codes since they may be a ripple effect from the 34. As I recall why I hesitated was because the sensor was pretty expensive. But by the time I had to replace the right rear (ABS code 33) I'd found a fairly inexpensive one. I'll see if I can trace it out for you.

Reactions: ZzBloopzZ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ABS 34 jumped right out at me! It's for the left rear ABS sensor and I've seen it many many times when I was fooling with mine before finally just replacing it. I'd ignore the other codes since they may be a ripple effect from the 34. As I recall why I hesitated was because the sensor was pretty expensive. But by the time I had to replace the right rear (ABS code 33) I'd found a fairly inexpensive one. I'll see if I can trace it out for you.
Great, thank you Dyno. Just to be sure, is Left Rear Wheel on the vehicle *BEHIND* the front passenger?

Thank You!

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
No left is defined as when facing forward, so driver's side in the US.

I literally can't believe it :surprise I found many on eBay starting at $11.69!! Or if you think you get what you pay for (I don't, see my signature) you could spend almost double, $20.25. As I recall my left one back when cost $160 after much searching. (They probably still do at the dealer!) Found the right rear one at a bargain around $35.

Installation is pretty easy. You remove the narrow tray under the base of the rear seats to access the connector, remove the several hangers on the wheel well and suspension, carefully unbolt the sensor so as not to break the bolt, and pull the whole thing out thru the wheel well plug. Install new one in reverse order. Do make sure to knock off any rust around the sensor hole so it seats fully.

Anyway, have a meaningful Christmas and don't worry about the lights being on until next year. :wink

Reactions: ZzBloopzZ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are the best Dr. Dyno! My mechanic friend took a look at the vehicle last night and confirmed that the Left Rear Wheel Sensor needs to be replaced as it is not reading at all. I ended up ordering the $20.25 one you linked to just now.

I plan to install it myself. I assume I will need to remove the tire first, in order to access the sensor correct? Also, where exactly is the tray you speak of for the plug, like literally underneath the seat? Do I need to fold the seat down? I wonder if there are any tutorials for it on here but just looking at the connector it looks straight forward. I will probably spray some PB Blaster on the bolts just in case since we sometimes have rust issues here in the DC area.

I really want to thank you for all your help! My mom now works at a low paying, part time job so this will really save us quite a bit of money. I really do wish you the happiest of holidays!

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Yes, the wheel needs to come off and possibly the brake rotor. I don't remember but just keeping taking it apart until you get to the sensor. And definitely use the PB Blaster liberally.

The "tray" might be more properly called a storage well. There are two, a large rear one under the rear floor and a smaller one in front of it behind the rear seat. Several Philips screws (6?) hold it in.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
This is the tray the good Doctor spoke of. As you can see, I keep my jumper cables in there:

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
I wonder how many 4.3 owners don't even know it's there.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I wonder how many 4.3 owners don't even know it's there.
I wonder how many 4.4 owners don't even know it's there? Except theirs has a stupid divider molded into it so jumper cables probably won't fit...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to post an update. It was indeed the rear left wheel/abs sensor. I ordered the $20 from eBay that Dr. Dyno mentioned. It was replaced today by a mechanic friend.

Also, had both sway bar links replaced since one of them had snapped off from rust. I must say, the handling is MUCH better especially on turns. The sway link must have been broken for a LONG time. Darn dealership missed it several times it seems.

I am so happy and very grateful to everyone that contributed on this thread. My mom is working a part time job due to disability so we are all very thankful for saving us so much money. I hope you all have have a terrific 2017 and that all your dreams come true! :c)

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Thanks for the update. Gives us incentive to help. Sometimes we never hear. Glad we all could help.
Did the other codes go away?

If your experience is anything like mine the right rear sensor will be next but you'll be ready for ABS 33. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, all codes went away. Drove 50 miles today and everything seems perfect. Still amazed how much of a difference the replacement sway link bars did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts