Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, first post here even though I've been a lurker for a while now. I have a 2007 4cyl rav4 that i think has an unusual oil consumption but don't know what do do about it since I already did 1 consumption test and passed. I wanted to see if it was at all normal for other people to be at 2500 miles after a fresh oil change and be absolutely bone dry on oil? it just passed 190,500 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
239 Posts
If your car burns less than 1 quart of oil per 1200 miles then it passes the oil consumption test according to Toyota. So, if it burns 2 quarts in 2500 miles, it just barely passes the test, but no oil will show on the dipstick.

FYI, my car has only 65000 miles and burns as much oil as yours. All we can do is check the oil often, until the oil consumption gets so bad that Toyota will fix our engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did another oil consumption test and failed pretty miserably this time. For anyone interested, I drove the recommended 1100-1300 miles and it was below the second dot on the dipstick. 2007 rav4 base with 191,600 on the odo.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
In another post here, someone mentioned they demanded from their dealer to see the oil level on the dipstick as it was being sealed at the dealers for the official test, and saw that the dealer overfilled their oil before the test began.

They made the dealer drain enough oil to get the level on the dipstick right to the Full mark before the test began, then seal everything at that time.

That was a very good idea, and one you may want to follow to ensure you get a fair test.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you passed 190K miles, we'll, thats good. time for a new ravvy! :-0 just kiddin.

mine is 2009 4 cyl, it is burning oil. just about 3000km, engine oil goes down near 50% on the dipstick. from new 0w20 oil change about 4.4L. so just
needed to add more oil or do an oil change again.

sometimes, to reduce it, you may want to tune-up youre engine. such PCV valves and throttle body clean up would help,if you havent.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hey guys, first post here even though I've been a lurker for a while now. I have a 2007 4cyl rav4 that i think has an unusual oil consumption...
Defender, lurk this way for more info:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/177417-start-oil-consumption-test-my-2007-rav4-2az-fe-today-per-ze7-extended-campaign.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/87651-t-sb-0094-11-2az-fe-engine-oil-consumption-08-11-2011-a.html

I did another oil consumption test and failed pretty miserably this time. For anyone interested, I drove the recommended 1100-1300 miles and it was below the second dot on the dipstick. 2007 rav4 base with 191,600 on the odo.
So did they say when they were going to fix it? Are you in Canada or USA? (Location can help others.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tech that worked on my car showed me on the dipstick that he overfilled me and marked with a sharpie where he filled it to and where it needed to be below for me to fail. I checked pretty often myself and by about mile 800 I was already on the failure line. My Rav should be getting new pistons and rings (I'm wishing for a whole new engine haha). Its old but for being a NY car for 185k of its life and now living in the south it should last me another good 70k or so without killing my wallet.

So did they say when they were going to fix it?
The parts are being ordered and they are going to give me a call once they're in. He let me know they have had some recall repairs on this go for 3-4 months and some a few days, and is estimating mine to be the latter. They give a free loaner (obviously) and all parts/labor is covered for a year after the repair. This is in the US as well.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
if you passed 190K miles, we'll, thats good. time for a new ravvy! :-0 just kiddin.

mine is 2009 4 cyl, it is burning oil. just about 3000km, engine oil goes down near 50% on the dipstick. from new 0w20 oil change about 4.4L. so just
needed to add more oil or do an oil change again.
Ashtonybb, this is first I've heard of any oil burning on the 2009+ RAV4, which has a different engine than the 2006-2008 model. How many km on yours?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thanks, Defender. Nice the tech was honest and marked the over-fill. In some ways, Toyota is pretty generous with the extended warranty on these engines, offering unlimited mileage to fix. Pretty tough standard (1 quart burn in 1200 miles) to fail the test though. Let us know how it goes for you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Defender. Nice the tech was honest and marked the over-fill. In some ways, Toyota is pretty generous with the extended warranty on these engines, offering unlimited mileage to fix. Pretty tough standard (1 quart burn in 1200 miles) to fail the test though. Let us know how it goes for you!
Sure thing! Im going to update the thread once they get to work on the car and let me know anything else. Hopefully it will help other people reading it with their cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing to note is that I have used full synthetic 5w-20 since it hit around 150,000 miles and I think for the test that he used standard motor oil 5w-20 (not a blend or synthetic). I don't like the way my car runs on it and I can tell the difference. I think it burned off much quicker when not using synthetic.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
I have a 2007 4cyl Rav, but it never uses a drop of oil between services. Because I live in the 'tropics', (we get about 1 week of cold weather per year:), I use a thicker oil like 10w30, 10w40 or 15w40. Semi Synthetic Engine Oils - Nulon Products Australia.
Just wondering if it's the oil or if the Aussie 2007 Ravs don't have this oil burning problem?
Depends what engine you have. Is it even a gasoline engine?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's a 4 cyl petrol engine 2.4L (2AZ-FE), it has 194,000 kms (120,000 miles) on the clock. That Nulon oil is Semi-synthetic and an excellent oil.
Days in summer can reach 41ºC (105ºF), or even hotter, most people around here use 15w40 in their cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 Rav4 base with 4 cyl that I bought used with 30,000 miles.Therefore I think that I have no factory/dealer recourse. I have 135,000 miles now, and it started consuming oil excessively around 100,000 miles. It finally got to using a quart every 450 miles. I started adding Lucas oil stabilizer and after adding a quart, I have used a pint of oil in the last 1500 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
'08 base with 72k miles or 115k+ kilometers. I had a similar situation that has been going on for years(oil leak). From time to time I have to top up oil. My surprise is that my car has been getting PMS with the dealer but the problem is still there until recently last month I went to some shops here and found a good mechanic. They replaced gasket (leak) and the oil was leaking on the spark plugs they said. After that no more leaks anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Rav4 purchased new from the dealership. I received a notice from Toyota couple years ago there was a recall having to do with them losing oil. Took it to the dealership and they fix it, no charge of course. I would suggest finding a local dealership and check the recall list and see if all has been repaired on your particular Rav4. There has been a lot of recalls on several different things, but the oil leakage was the most important (in my opinion).

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Why do Toyota engines consume oil ? And how to prevent it?"

I might have found a fix all here.

I am not referring to the oil change frequency parameter suggestions in the middle of the video, (I know everybody here does that already) I am referring to a bit after that(19:20). He both suggests researching out the best oil system cleaners you can find and using them, and reports his experience of these oil system cleaners working well. If you want to understand the reason why oil consumption is a problem to begin with, obviously the beginning of the video is where you'll find that, and I think that would be a good idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts