Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very strange but i hear a grinding sound from the backend when going uphill at 40 mho. This is the only time it occurs and it only lasts about 3 seconds. Have my mechanic baffled as well, any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Engine size? Front wheel or all wheel drive? All service work up to date? Miles? No crystal ball readers here friend.

·
Registered
156 Posts
By chance, would this be on the 2.4 liter I4, cruising at lower RPMs, on level ground or uphill, a grinding-resonating sound of "WRAWRAWRA?"

I had a mechanic check into mine when it displayed the above behaviour. They first faulted the exhaust (which was forming a legitimate leak). After replacing it, the behaviour still continued. When I was able to reproduce it, he diagnosed worn rubber braces for the exhaust, which were supposedly allowing the exhaust to resonate. When his colleague inspected the exhaust, however, he re-welded some of the previous exhaust work. Once I left, the noise crept up again.

TLDR; does anyone know anything about rubber braces for the exhaust?

·
Registered
189 Posts
wow, very hard to diagnose without a video or audio recording.

if i will do this myself, i am going to put a Gopro underneath where i suspect the grinding noise is coming from.

3 seconds, im thinking shocks if not your braking components. but hey, i will install a camera underneath if you have one or two. :) this could save you diag money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SirTampers, you described it perfectly with the grind-resonating sound at lower RPMs. My mechanic looked at the exhaust as well, changed out a bracket, couldn't find anything else.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i believe in your mechanic, whatever he decides you to do is to monitor the problem right?

how about the muffler, components inside of it might be damaged and peeling off that causes rattling and/or grinding noise in your case.

·
Registered
88 Posts
06 AWD 2.4L

I have the same problem and I've been told its the transmission. Had it for the past 60,000 kms.

Transmission was never serviced before we got it and I've done a few pan drops and fresh fluid, hasn't gotten worse, but this spring I'll do a full exchange through the tranny cooler line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have heard the same noise with our 2010 RAV4. Toyota checked it out and said no problem - normal. Then, we just got "Warranty Enhancement Notification ZF4" - says "vehicle may exhibit a growl type noise from the rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing." It's not clear what they might do to fix the condition but it does say you are due "reimbursement consideration" if you've had previous work done. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts