Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for guidance on how next to troubleshoot this brake light problem.

A driver behind me at an intersection jumped out to tell me that I had zero brake lights working. Not good! When I got home, I had someone mash the brakes while I watched. Both tail lights worked. There was no passenger brake light, nor third brake light (as I recall), but the driver's side brake light was definitely working. Positively.

The next day, while researching how to replace the bulbs and otherwise troubleshoot, I noticed that, this time, none of the brake lights were working, no even the driver's side. I then replaced the passenger and driver side brake light bulbs (with Sylvania 921 LED's), verified that the 7.5 amp stop interior dash fuse had no break, and later replaced the brake switch at the pedal. Still nothing. Driver and passenger tail lights do work, but not the brake lights.

It certainly seems there's a possible short in the system somewhere, but that's probably outside my realm of experience. What's weird is that one side was definitely working, if only episodically, so there was power getting to the assembly, hence probably not a fuse or switch issue.

Is there something else I should be checking? Is there value in replacing bulbs again, and outright replacing the 7.5 amp fuse?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I just checked the 2007 owners manual and there is no bulb for the brakes. Looks like they are LEDS. The 921 bulb is for the backup light.

I would double check the 3 fuses under the driver side: ECU-1G1 (10A), STOP (10A), and TAIL (10A). There is a spare 10A fuse in the engine bay fuse box. One of the fuse box will have 3 spare fuses in a row: 30A, 20A, and 10A. The 7.5A fuse you checked is not for the brake lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A mechanic told me to check the #1 7.5 amp fuse, but I couldn't find a diagram that matched that spec. I found two diagrams online which were completely different for the 2007 RAV4. Still, of the fuses I checked, all were okay. I dunno. After craning my neck and scrunching my right arm twice for a half hour, I gave up. That is the WORST place for a fuse box Thanks for the guidance. You did motivate me to look again. I'll report what the shop finds.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
A mechanic told me to check the #1 7.5 amp fuse, but I couldn't find a diagram that matched that spec. I found two diagrams online which were completely different for the 2007 RAV4. Still, of the fuses I checked, all were okay. I dunno. After craning my neck and scrunching my right arm twice for a half hour, I gave up. That is the WORST place for a fuse box Thanks for the guidance. You did motivate me to look again. I'll report what the shop finds.
I agree Toyota did a poor job placing the fuse in that location. I would have like them to put the fuses behind the glove box since there is a lot of room there.
Yes try looking again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shop called. They gave up, and suggested another shop with a recommended electrician, or going to a dealership. Must be a short or break in the wires somewhere. Maybe the control board in the lamp assembly (if there is one). I'll post the solution when I have it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts