Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have experienced this once before on my wife's vehicle. It happened to her again just now.

Start the vehicle up. She said that it did not turn over quickly like normal...but it did turn over and start. less than a mile down the road, the horn starts honking on its own. It beeps multiple times in a row and stops for a short distance and does it again.

Last time it did this (months ago), I stopped the vehicle, turned it off and removed the key. Then started it back up and had no problem.

This time, she said that it would still turn over in a weak manner...but still does the honk thing.

Is this a weak battery scenario or battery going bad notice or what?

Thanks!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
A weak battery can do all sorts of weird stuff. Have the battery load tested. Does the vehicle have an alarm system of any kind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A weak battery can do all sorts of weird stuff. Have the battery load tested. Does the vehicle have an alarm system of any kind?
Yes it does.

We bought the vehicle used more than a year ago. I dont know how long the current battery has been in the vehicle. The battery appears to be a low end brand. Here in central TX, I dont see OEM batteries lasting more than 4 years and cheap brands get about the same or less life. I always replace my car batteries with Interstate Batteries. Maybe it is time to replace it...

I guess I should get the amp meter out when installing the new battery and see what kind of current draw I get when the vehicle is off to see if something else may be draining on the battery when the vehicle is off.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Disabling the alarm system should stop the beeping. And a battery check is in order too. Many of our southern US members are only getting around two years out of the best of batteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disabling the alarm system should stop the beeping. And a battery check is in order too. Many of our southern US members are only getting around two years out of the best of batteries.
I'm not sure how to turn it off. It is a factory installed alarm as the key has the integrated buttons to lock/unlock/panic button.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I'm not sure how to turn it off. It is a factory installed alarm as the key has the integrated buttons to lock/unlock/panic button.
That alone does not guarantee it is a factory system. Mine is aftermarket and also integrated to the key. It is an '08 also. As others have said I betcha the battery is on its last legs. I'm on my fourth battery and bought the car new in early '09. If the alarm senses low voltage it can go off intermittently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to a fair number of coworkers today about this issue. I found one that had the exact same issue with his wife's car a couple of years ago. His description was the exact same as my wife's Rav4.

Turns out his wife drives a 2008 Camry. Looks like a possible toyota thing....and I'm ok with that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts