Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
After failing the excessive oil consumption test and waiting almost 6 months to the day for parts, my RAV has been repaired per the Warranty Enhancement Program guidelines. I elected to have valve work done as well at my expense at the same time. Additionally, I replaced the plugs myself. The vehicle is running better; much less hesitation, shift points seem to be more accurate, less engine noise overall, and loss of oil will be determined but assumed at acceptable levels. Only issue that remains is mild (compared to pre re-build) engine "ping" (detonation) between gears under load. My question: what steps should I take to fully eliminate ping & repair any damage that was done burning so much oil for so long? So far no DTC codes to report. Perhaps O2 sensor(s)? EGR valve maintenance or replacement?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Switch to a different gasoline brand. I have had cars that pinged like crazy on one brand of fuel but never on another. That's assuming the timing and all other items are correct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try a higher grade of gas to see if the ping stops. The whole point of higher octane is resistance to pre-detonation, so it should stop it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It is unclear from the TSB which parts are to be replaced by Toyota in engines which have the oil consumption problem. Were the pistons replaced in your RAV, and if not, were they cleaned to remove carbon deposits from the excess oil which was burned? If they weren't replaced or cleaned it is possible that carbon deposits on piston heads are causing the pinging, either by becoming hot enough to ignite the fuel/air mixture or by increasing the compression ratio so that higher octane fuel is required.

·
Registered
57 Posts
im taking mine in on monday they said it will probaly take 3 days because they dont know what size pistons since they use 2-3 different sizes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. Sorry for delayed response. I was told pistons were replaced. I did elect to have the valves and seals done as well. Higher octane does help, as well as additives. Recently, there is a hesitation to start. Turns over longer. But does start. Amy thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: The piston kit finally arrived after a 3 month wait and they took 4 days to do the engine work, they replaced the pistons and piston rings. - Southern California Toyota.

Charged me $230 for new water pump, said it showed evidence of leaking (even tho i had a new water pump installed 1 year ago by another auto shop)

When I received the car everything worked. The engine is a little louder than I remembered and the gas mileage on the first tank driven is somewhat lower than what i was averaging, but the acceleration seems to be stronger than before the piston work.

I will monitor gas mileage on the next tank and if its noticeably lower again, will give toyota a call, but i doubt they can/would do anything.

Total cost: $230 (180 for water pump part and $50 for labor)

They said nothing else needed to be replaced, spark plugs and drive belt were fine (car is at 100k miles)

·
Registered
312 Posts
My 08 burned lots of oil and failed their oil burning tests last year. Then they wanted to test it again , sealing all the entry points and I said we're not going through that process again. I had to go back to see them every few weeks.They were hard to deal with and didn't really want to help.I overheard the sales manager say "we're not doing any more good will jobs cause we're losing money" Nice guy !
I then changed oil brands and used high test fuel exclusively. After about 6 months, I noticed a lot less oil consumption. Not sure what happened. I tried to get an explanation of why these engines were using oil and didn't really get one. The girl from Toyota Canada stopped returning my messages.One guy at the dealership said that the oil galleries in the rings weren't big enough and caused sludge to build up and made the rings sticky and not seal well. Who knows. Acadia Toyota in Moncton NB will never get any more business from me.
My vehicle has had spark knock since I've owned it at 46,000 kms. Even with supreme gas at different stations, it still knocks under light load. It's real bad in hot weather. The dealership couldn't figure that one out either.

Paczbro.....If you didn't authorize them to replace your water pump, then you shouldn't have paid for it. I wish that would happen to me.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts