Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting my own thread so I'm not just hijacking. I'm looking for some advice/confirmation that my build will work.

The Rav is my commuter. Purchased it this spring. Looking forward to seeing how it performs in winter!! I drive about 60,000km a year in every kind of weather. On the summer weekends I'll pull a small trailer with dirtbikes or kayaks. Plan on some light off-roading in the summer and deep snow/frozen lakes in the winter.

My 40mm Russian lift is en route as we speak. To those of you who've already installed it, were there any alignment issues? Are any other suspension upgrades needed? Adjustable control arms or??

Looking at these wheels...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-022-7812pw

Anybody running 16s? Is there enough clearance from the brakes? These wheels are +16mm offset so they're about an inch further out on each side. (Wide body look). Toyota dealer said should fit but they wouldn't make any guarantees.

Tires are either 245/75 (30.5?) or 225/75 (29.5?). It looks close to the base of the coil spring but I haven't measured there yet. What's the biggest tire you guys are getting under there? My additional offset should add a little relief there too.

Thanks for looking! I appreciate any advice you guys might have!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing... are these trucks equipped with TPMS? I have a slow leak but never seem to get a light on the dash.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
One more thing... are these trucks equipped with TPMS? I have a slow leak but never seem to get a light on the dash.
Since you did not complete your profile the answer depends which country you live in. In Canada they do not come with TPMS but in the US they are.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Starting my own thread so I'm not just hijacking. I'm looking for some advice/confirmation that my build will work.

The Rav is my commuter. Purchased it this spring. Looking forward to seeing how it performs in winter!! I drive about 60,000km a year in every kind of weather. On the summer weekends I'll pull a small trailer with dirtbikes or kayaks. Plan on some light off-roading in the summer and deep snow/frozen lakes in the winter.

My 40mm Russian lift is en route as we speak. To those of you who've already installed it, were there any alignment issues? Are any other suspension upgrades needed? Adjustable control arms or??

Looking at these wheels...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-022-7812pw

Anybody running 16s? Is there enough clearance from the brakes? These wheels are +16mm offset so they're about an inch further out on each side. (Wide body look). Toyota dealer said should fit but they wouldn't make any guarantees.

Tires are either 245/75 (30.5?) or 225/75 (29.5?). It looks close to the base of the coil spring but I haven't measured there yet. What's the biggest tire you guys are getting under there? My additional offset should add a little relief there too.

Thanks for looking! I appreciate any advice you guys might have!!
I am running 215 x70 x 16 winter tires on my Sport and has no problems as far as clearance goes. For winter tires it is best not to go wide since the wider tires do not cut through snow as good as a narrower tire.

For spring and summer go with 17 inch size or 18 inch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I?m going with an A/T or M/T tire. One tire all year round. I have a few specific ones I?m considering. 16? tires are much cheaper than 18? and more options for truck tires. 215/70 is stock height. I?m hoping to get a little more rubber under there. Especially with the lift.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Those tires you selected are taller and will cause the speedometer/odometer to be inaccurate. I don't think many people are using those sizes so you may have tell us the outcome.
The offset should be either 45 or 39 depending on the wheel size. The 16 mm offset wheel would not fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. The taller tires will affect the speedo. I calculated about 5mph @ 60mph.

There are speedo calibrator units available for a couple hundred bucks if I run into issues with that. I?ll likely just use the speedo app on my phone to gauge it for the first few rides.

Proper braking with the taller tire is a greater concern to be honest. A swap to premium brake parts might be in my future too.

In the next day or two I?m hoping to mock up the lift with a floor jack and measure the steering clearance and simulate the larger diameter and offset. I was really just hoping someone had tried it here first to save me the work!! Lol

Plain steel rims isn?t really the look I?m hoping to achieve. I like the old school white ?d window? or 8 spoke look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.... took awhile but it’s done. 40mm Russian lift. 16x8x +16mm wheels. 225/75r16 radar at5. The only hitch was having to thin out the front brake caliber bracket for the rim to clear. Removed about 1/4” of thickness. Lots left.

Ran out of time to hang the spare on the hatch. I might have to space out the bracket a little from the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should mention. Steering clearance is perfect even with the +16 offset. The 225/75r16 Is about an inch and a quarter taller than the 235/55r18. Speedometer is out by about 2km/h at 100km/h.

·
Registered
131 Posts
With that size tire does the +16 give you the clearance you need from the bottom of the spring perch on the front? Also, can you provide pics?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is over an inch of clearance to the spring perch. The offset brings the wheel out right to the edge of the fender flare. There’s almost an inch at the front between the tire and inner fender/splash shield when it’s turned all the way.

It’s hard to describe how perfectly it fits. I’ll definitely take more pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As promised. More photos. I stuck my hand in there for scale.

I think I lucked out by going with the 225s. Anything wider and I might not have had the steering room.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude!! Looks amazing. I have the Russian kit in the mail right now. Also been thinking about low offset wheels and bigger tires :) You may have just confirmed for me, looks perfect!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, FYI. No mods req’d for the spare tire to mount. It fit inside the molded plastic body piece just right.

Navigated through a monster snowstorm earlier this week. Over a foot of snow and it handled like a champ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts