Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attaching a pic (hopefully) of a gear on the passenger side of the heater box. This gear is driven by the vent mode setting dial and selects where the air blows from. Gear is a press fit into the heaterbox. The tabs that hold the gear in are busted. :frown

Anyone know if this gear is available without ordering the whole heaterbox? The exploded view I saw did not show this gear anywhere, nor did it even show the passenger side of the heaterbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
oh yeah, this is one part that actually turn one or 2 or more vents. or probably it is from the servo motor. wait. lemme search for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Service guy on the phone was talking about servos, but this is driven by a belt/gear direct from the vent select knob.

Mechanical, not electric driven.

·
Registered
189 Posts
to make sure, you need to underneath the dash with a good flashlight and take a look up in between your HVAC unit (LH) and blower motor unit (RH), where you can find/notice that white part with gear is missing. that is probably the AIR OUTLET CONTROL SERVO MOTOR.

hope this is the part that i think of.

if i have time later, ill take a look at my rav4.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree, that look like it. But there is no motor.

I turn the knob, and can watch a toothed section of a belt move back and forth that would rotate the gear around the pivot mount. You can see in the gear the groves that move the vent flappers to select the output.

Maybe Toyota is just calling it a servo, but there is no electric motor moving anything. :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I really do appreciate your help. Thanks. Driving this thing in Colorado winter with no defrost/floor heat sucks. All the hot air blows out the dash vent by default.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah, forget about the floor heat thing for now, when youre driving put your thermostat in between cold/hot (middle), it will keep you windshield clear. :-0

because defrost is something a mixture of hot/cold air. :)

keep windshiled and windows clear is the most important thing. you can stand the cold by wearing right clothes, :), look whos talking, lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I suppose it gets a bit chilly up where you live also. :D

Cruising ebay for parts, it seems both manual (twist dial) and electric (push button) controls were available. Talked to parts guy (again) and when I specified that it had a manual control, he said he'd need the VIN to figure out which of the 5 servos worked with the manual controls and whether the car was a Japanese or US built one.

At least this guy seemed to have a clue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oh, I suppose it gets a bit chilly up where you live also. :D

Cruising ebay for parts, it seems both manual (twist dial) and electric (push button) controls were available. Talked to parts guy (again) and when I specified that it had a manual control, he said he'd need the VIN to figure out which of the 5 servos worked with the manual controls and whether the car was a Japanese or US built one.

At least this guy seemed to have a clue.
:) yeah, im up here! lol

yeah, good idea, for sure they will go with your VIN. for them not to screw your part order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Revisiting this.

Spring came, and with it, nice weather. So this was forgotten until now.

Parts guy was unable to find the right part. I'm hoping I don't need to order the whole heater box.

Anyone else have any ideas? Might have to make a visit to some parts yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts