Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning yall!
Glad to know that there is a community of Rav4 owners out there!
I bought my '09 Rav4 Sport V6 with 200,000 miles on from a private party a couple of months back. With it came all of the service records of maintenance done to it. Aside from some minor exterior blemishes, it is black after all, you wouldn't think that it has as many miles on it as it does! The leather is in impeccable condition, and the interior is 10/10! :D
The V6 is super peppy, and while the run tires run a bit rough, the car handles better than other sedans I've driven!

So begins my journey to take this car to well over 300,000 miles. Any recommendations? I have quickly learned that doing oil changes on the model is incredibly easy, though it does take gobs of oil! :lol: The previous owner had his mechanic put the recommended 5w-30 in the car, so upon doing my first oil change on the car I went with Valvoline Max Life 5W-30. Is this a good choice for longevity? I live in northern California where it does stay cold for long periods of time, so I'm thinking this is a good choice!

Thanks for joining me on my Rav4 Journey! :smile

-D

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
For this many miles, I would expect the RAV to have had at last 2 transmission fluid changes.
If not, go 3 -drain/refills. Valvoline Maxlife ATF is compatible with Toyota WS fluid if you like the Valvoline brand. Maybe even changing the filter but I don't think it is essential. Or you could use Toyota WS too. It is not too expensive from the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For this many miles, I would expect the RAV to have had at last 2 transmission fluid changes.
If not, go 3 -drain/refills. Valvoline Maxlife ATF is compatible with Toyota WS fluid if you like the Valvoline brand. Maybe even changing the filter but I don't think it is essential. Or you could use Toyota WS too. It is not too expensive from the dealer.
Thanks! I'll have to do some research for how easy it is to change the ATF fluid!

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
very easy! There a few threads on this very forum.

Since you have 4WD, do forget to also maintain the Transfer Case and Rear Differential. Again very easy and cheap to do if the bolts comes off without a fight.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Hey D, congratulations on your '09 V6 Sport! If you don't mind, could you tell me how much you paid for it? My bro-in-law is looking to replace his wife's Sienna and is looking for a RAV4. He says the used ones are pricey even with high mileage. I told him they hold their value better than most vehicles.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Congrats on getting RAV and a V6 at that! Suggest that you continue to us 5W-30 oil as recommended. I've spoken with a couple of owners of V6 RAVs with 250,000+ miles and they said that they still use that oil and have no oil consumption problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey D, congratulations on your '09 V6 Sport! If you don't mind, could you tell me how much you paid for it? My bro-in-law is looking to replace his wife's Sienna and is looking for a RAV4. He says the used ones are pricey even with high mileage. I told him they hold their value better than most vehicles.
I paid $7200 private party for it. It was already smogged and registered thru April ?18, so that was a plus! That price was on par with KBB, a little lower actually. Definitely a good value!

·
Registered
419 Posts
WineCoRav4 - congrats on the v6 2009 / the 269 HP can be fun.

Wife has a nice 2008 Limited v6 (97,000 miles now) / only a $90 part + 1/2 hour in 67,000 Km. driven, over 2 years.
- I change my engine oil and filter with premium synthetic brands / every 10K Km & used oil still retains some of its clean honey color

Fluids, the WIX XP Platinum are extended mileage filters / all I use.
- they contain a synthetic media / also sold to Amsoil & rebranded
- purchased from Filter1.com

I no longer use Amsoil (Group IV & way to expensive), except for Syn. grease / Redline for the Transmission & Gear oil.
And Pennzoil Ultra for engine oil, made from 99.5% clean Natural Gas base stock.
- my engine oil change frequency is 10,000 Km or 6,200 miles
- 2000 4Runner SR5 v6 https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilGarage/internal/vehiclelookuppage.aspx?url2=2000+TOYOTA+4-RUNNER+8
- Transmission Synthetic Group V - D6 ATF - gallon - $49.95 @ Summit / 30705
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/red-30705
- Our lowest viscosity, most shear-stable ATF for consistent operation, designed to satisfy Dexron-VI®, Mercon®SP, Mercon®LV, Honda DW-1, Toyota WS, Mercedes Benz NAG-2, ZF-LG 6, 6+ and 8 fluids

Dimple Magnets for pan ($35 each) & oil filter (4pk for $35)...quality products & Made in USA...Phone 1-704-320-0700
Canadian distributor in ON. sells them for $35 Cdn & free shipping if buy 3 products...Phone 1-905-665-7883
Magnetic Drain Plugs - Dimple Products

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts