Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a coolant change DIY that applies to an 09 V6? I've searched around and can't find any.

I've drained the coolant via the radiator petcock and refilled, but I'm wondering what I need to do to correctly burp the system.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
There is an engine coolant block drain bolt behind the heat shield as well as the petcock located on the driver side of the radiator. To bleed the air there is a bleeder bolt near the coolant reservoir. To burp the air you are suppose to open the coolant bleeder bolt while you were filling the coolant. This forces the air to its highest point and once coolant is flowing out you put back the bleeder bolt.

This thread has the picture of the bleeder bolt.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
By the way the block holds about half the coolant. If you did a flush and did not drain the block you should use concentrate coolant. This will result in 50/50 mixture.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
If there was no flush but the coolant was simply drained from the radiator, the coolant remaining in the engine block would still be 50/50 and whatever is added to the system should also be 50/50.

Don't understand why Toyota didn't provide a coolant drain at the bottom of the engine block coolant jacket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts