Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2019 XLE and just noticed it uses 0W16 oil. I went to 3 auto parts stores and they never heard of it. Is this something new or can 0W20 be used?

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
Lots of discussions on 0W16 oil, it's the required oil for the 2.5L Dynamic Force engine since 2017 in the 2018-on Camry and 5th gen Rav4, read the manual, 0W20 can be use temporarily if 0W16 isn't available, which it is from Toyota, Valvoline and others by now. Last I checked Mobile 1 made it too, but it wasn't RC spec'd which also is a requirement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a 2019 XLE and just noticed it uses 0W16 oil. I went to 3 auto parts stores and they never heard of it. Is this something new or can 0W20 be used?
I was in Walmart the other day and they have it in their brand 0-16w. If you have to, order it and keep the receipts for warranty issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in Walmart the other day and they have it in their brand 0-16w. If you have to, order it and keep the receipts for warranty issues.
I don’t think I’d use Walmart oil. My dealers parts department had it, but I didn’t check the price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t think I’d use Walmart oil. My dealers parts department had it, but I didn’t check the price.
I use Walmart brand all the time, it meets all requirements the manufacturer requires $17 for 5 quarts. Think of it as generic motor oil, just like generic drugs you take.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Locally, Toyota & Honda dealership should have them. Over priced if you are a value shopper like me. Buy filters there though.

Walmart as Mobil 1 (roll back right not at $22.88) or Supertech at $14.88, and both looks to be in store stock for my location.
Not sure, there may be a M1 rebate to tag on to: Rebates & Promotions | Mobil™

Napa has Valvoline: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAR878399?

AMSOil olnine: OE 0W-16 Synthetic Motor Oil OES - AMSOIL

Amazon will have anything, it's where I got my Pennzoil.

Really nothing wrong with Wally brand Super Tech, made or distributed by Warren (long time company) and is well tested and analyzed by many these days.

Good luck on research.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
402 Posts
^good thread read, ALL OF IT!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lots of discussions on 0W16 oil, it's the required oil for the 2.5L Dynamic Force engine since 2017 in the 2018-on Camry and 5th gen Rav4, read the manual, 0W20 can be use temporarily if 0W16 isn't available, which it is from Toyota, Valvoline and others by now. Last I checked Mobile 1 made it too, but it wasn't RC spec'd which also is a requirement.

FYI, the Mobil 1 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy product meets these specs (copy-paste from their website):

Applications

Mobil 1™ 0W-16 is recommended by ExxonMobil for SAE 0W-16 applications in gasoline and hybrid engines designed to operate on SAE 0W-16 viscosity motor oil.
• Mobil 1 0W-16 is engineered for use in select Honda and Toyota gasoline and hybrid engines where this viscosity is recommended.

Specifications and Approvals

This product meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN
API SN PLUS
API SJ
API SL
API SM
API SN Resource Conserving
API SN PLUS RESOURCE CONSERVING
API SP
API SP Resource Conserving
ILSAC GF-6B

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m seeing references to “RC” rated oil. What is this?
RC means Resource Conserving. This is in reference to oil burn off and protection to your emissions systems (catalytic converter!). Always check the API Donut on the back of the jug and make sure it says Resource Conserving.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FYI, the Mobil 1 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy product meets these specs (copy-paste from their website):

Applications

Mobil 1™ 0W-16 is recommended by ExxonMobil for SAE 0W-16 applications in gasoline and hybrid engines designed to operate on SAE 0W-16 viscosity motor oil.
• Mobil 1 0W-16 is engineered for use in select Honda and Toyota gasoline and hybrid engines where this viscosity is recommended.

Specifications and Approvals

This product meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN
API SN PLUS
API SJ
API SL
API SM
API SN Resource Conserving
API SN PLUS RESOURCE CONSERVING
API SP
API SP Resource Conserving
ILSAC GF-6B
Mobil is not one to lie but what they did here was use marketing terms. “Meets or exceeds requirements” does not equal evaluated and licensed. As of tonight at least, their 0W-16 offering is still only API SN with SN PLUS according to API’s licensee directory.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mobil is not one to lie but what they did here was use marketing terms. “Meets or exceeds requirements” does not equal evaluated and licensed. As of tonight at least, their 0W-16 offering is still only API SN with SN PLUS according to API’s licensee directory.
Hey, if that's true, then the information I took from their website showing the specs is not only wrong but also false advertising. That said, I would also question if the API's licensee directory is as up to date as Mobil's website.

In any case, I can tell everyone that when I took in my own Mobil 1 oil for the first change (at 2000 miles) on our 2019 the service manager told me that he felt Mobil 1's oil was better than the Toyota brand (which he said was made by Mobil) because they use an additive mixture in the retail Mobile 1 that is "better" than what the Toyota-branded oil uses. I thanked him for his insight and then we laughed together after I said, "All that Toyota is worried about is getting the engine to 60,000 miles before it burns up...what I want to do is use a product that I know and trust in my car that I expect will protect the engine throughout the whole time and mileage that I expect to drive it." In my case, that's about 75,000 miles.

I hope this info helps someone. Peace.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey, if that's true, then the information I took from their website showing the specs is not only wrong but also false advertising. That said, I would also question if the API's licensee directory is as up to date as Mobil's website.

In any case, I can tell everyone that when I took in my own Mobil 1 oil for the first change (at 2000 miles) on our 2019 the service manager told me that he felt Mobil 1's oil was better than the Toyota brand (which he said was made by Mobil) because they use an additive mixture in the retail Mobile 1 that is "better" than what the Toyota-branded oil uses. I thanked him for his insight and then we laughed together after I said, "All that Toyota is worried about is getting the engine to 60,000 miles before it burns up...what I want to do is use a product that I know and trust in my car that I expect will protect the engine throughout the whole time and mileage that I expect to drive it." In my case, that's about 75,000 miles.

I hope this info helps someone. Peace.
It’s not false advertising, it’s just marketing. Just take a look at AMSOIL Signature oils, it has never once been API certified but they have always claimed to meet or exceed the current API requirements.

I have no doubt that M1’s newer blended oil meets or exceeds the requirements and that it is likely one of the highest quality offerings that we we have to choose from. As soon as I start seeing their API SP/ILSAC GF-6B oil on the shelf at Walmart, I’m probable going to be running it.

Just keep in mind that older stock Mobil1 0W-16 (which you are most likely to find on the shelf for the next few months) did NOT pass the RC requirement as specified by Toyota.

When in doubt, check the API Donut on the back of the bottle:

If it only has just API SN or API SN with SN PLUS, then it is does NOT meet our vehicles requirements.

If it has API SN with Resource Conserving or API Resource Conserving AND SN Plus, it meets or exceeds all requirement for our vehicles.

If it says API SP with anything else in the donut, it exceeds the requirements and you are good to go.

If you see API SP in the donut and the ILSAC GF-6B shield, then it meets all the most stringent tests at this time and you are good to go.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have been trying to find out what is different about "resource conserving" and all that consistently turns up is almost everywhere is either the propoganda verbiage from API or that it saves gas. The closest I can find to an actual definition is from API's own pdf:https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/MOTOR_OIL_GUIDE_120116_FINAL_WEB.pdf

"SN Current Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85. "

So if I am reading this correctly, ILSAC GF-5 is SN + Resource Conserving? Anyone car to weigh in or actually have technical data for or against this - rather than marketing bs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
In short, the old standard was called API SM Energy Conserving and was only focused on fuel savings. When API SN Resource Conserving was introduced it was a series of tests designed around emission system protection, fuel savings, higher ethanol fuels, turbos, etc.

If an oil passed all the SN RC tests, then yes, it was ILSAC GF-5 which has been phased out on the first of this month and replaced by the even more stringent GF-6A and GF-6B standards. For our vehicles, you will want to be looking for GF-6B when it hits the shelves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts