Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Limited FWD
269 Posts
I heard from a Toyota Technician that the RAV4 has an electric variable speed oil pump. The flow rate is calibrated for 0-16W. It may not be as readily available as other weights, but I still find it fairly easy to find. Amazon always works too.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
528 Posts
I heard from a Toyota Technician that the RAV4 has an electric variable speed oil pump. The flow rate is calibrated for 0-16W. It may not be as readily available as other weights, but I still find it fairly easy to find. Amazon always works too.
YouTube "The Car Care Nut" channel is a dealership master Toyota mechanic and has posted many very worthwhile 5th generation Rav4 videos. On one he specifically discusses the electric oil pump on our 2.5 Dynamic Force engines and explains that indeed the car computer controls it and changes its rpms and pumping volume continuously and that it is a big mistake to use anything other than 0-16W as it screws up the computer control function.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nowhere in the manual does it state that using a higher viscosity could damage the engine. Il even suggest using higher viscosity under more extreme conditions like towing. I live in Florida and I'm using moble 0w30 with no problems my mpg actually went up notch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nowhere in the manual does it state that using a higher viscosity could damage the engine. Il even suggest using higher viscosity under more extreme conditions like towing. I live in Florida and I'm using moble 0w30 with no problems my mpg actually went up notch.
It’s your vehicle, knock yourself out.😐

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
166 Posts
The Atkinson engine was designed around 0W-16 oil, you are crazy to use anything other, this is why I NEVER buy used cars, you don't know what people do to things.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The oil change interval drops to 5,000 miles if 0W-16 oil WAS NOT used. There must be a good reason for this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Car Care Nut also says to go 5k, not 10k between oil changes and change every 6 months. I'd probably split the difference and as a low mileage drive go 5k and within a year. For those that go 10k be sure to check oil level.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's for better mpg not better engine protection and you will not find anywhere in the manual that say using a higher viscosity will harm the engine. If you live in moderate climate you use 0-16 in warmer climates use higher.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
528 Posts
It's for better mpg not better engine protection and you will not find anywhere in the manual that say using a higher viscosity will harm the engine. If you live in moderate climate you use 0-16 in warmer climates use higher.
The Car Care Nut, the Rav4 manual and all online oil info also state that oil changes depend upon time, not just miles. In the Rav4 using synthetic oil it MUST be changed at least once a year regardless of mileage in that period of time. This is because all engine oil-even synthetic- absorbs moisture from the air and becomes contaminated. With non-synthetic oil it can turn milky and foamy if you leave it in too long even if it is low miles.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The manuals might not state it directly but there are repeated warnings that using higher visco oil is inadvisable under most conditions. And again, why does Toyota reduce the oil change interval if oil other than 0-16 is used? And where does the manual say to use a higher viscosity in warmer climates?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love the people who are smarter than the Toyota engineers and use what ever viscosity they want. I read you can use 0-20 in a pinch but change back to 0-16 on the next change.

I also love the cheapskates who shell out $40K for a car and then "save money" by streching the oil change intervile to 10-15K miles. A synthetic oil change is $75, do it every 5K miles or at least once per year.

Who here beleives in the "lifetime" trans and diff oils? Lifetime means the length of time Toyota is on the hook to repair/replace it, not what's best for the car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's for fuel economy only. My 2008 rav4 said the same thing 0w20 but I've only used 0 or 5w30 over 600,000 miles and never had an issue with the engine and still drive it 250 a day. I have a 2020 rav4 and use 0w30 47,000.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It's for fuel economy only. My 2008 rav4 said the same thing 0w20 but I've only used 0 or 5w30 over 600,000 miles and never had an issue with the engine and still drive it 250 a day. I have a 2020 rav4 and use 0w30 47,000.
Please provide a reference from Toyota that substantiates this.

And sharing your anecdotal experience is not scientific evidence that the millions of other Toyota owners will have the same result.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Toyota never says 0w16 provides better engine protection and even recommended a higher viscosity for more extreme driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Toyota never says 0w16 provides better engine protection and even recommended a higher viscosity for more extreme driving conditions.
And why does Toyota reduce the oil change interval from 10,000 miles to 5,000 miles when using any oil other than 0w16?

·
Registered
260 Posts
A higher viscosity may reduce mpg at longer intervals. Toyota has yellow warning flags all over the manual but none that says a higher viscosity may damage your engine. Bottom line is if you live in a higher climate area use increase viscosity in cooler use 16.

·
Registered
100 Posts
0-16 oil is not really 0-16 viscosity, they named it that way to make a different spec instead of saying 0-15 with xyzxyzx spec. Caracteristics of the oil is different, less friction etc etc

21 - 40 of 71 Posts