Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
A higher viscosity may reduce mpg at longer intervals. Okay, whatever that means.

Toyota has yellow warning flags all over the manual but none that says a higher viscosity may damage your engine. So this means nothing to you "Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W-16 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W-16 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W-16 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W-16 is not available, 0W-20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at a 5,000-miles or six-month INTERVAL with 0W-16 motor oil"

Bottom line is if you live in a higher climate area use increase viscosity in cooler use 16. Our OMs must be different. I don't see where mine specifies this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's for better mpg not better engine protection and you will not find anywhere in the manual that say using a higher viscosity will harm the engine. If you live in moderate climate you use 0-16 in warmer climates use higher.
You are mistaken on both counts. The 0w-16 is for both higher MPG, and engine longevity. Secondly, the manual does infer that not using 0w-16 will damage your engine, because it strongly admonishes to drain non 0w-16 oil it the next oil change. I trust Toyota to know best what our cars require, because their reputation is on the line.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's all about meeting their mpg requirements if using higher viscosity could damage the engine they would just say it. Warmer regions should use higher viscosity I live Florida and use 0-w30 in my 2020 xle for at 20 thousand miles now no problems. I always used 0-30 in my 08 rav4 instead of 20 I now have over 600 thousand never had an engine problems.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Here's a great explanation for the 0W16 oil selection.

The video starts at the lubrication section:

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what will use for my 2021 RAV4;
Unfortunately my local dealer only offers 0W20 but I don't want to go that path. Seems it meets also latest standards API SERVICE SP and
ILSAC GF-6B

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's all about meeting their mpg requirements if using higher viscosity could damage the engine they would just say it. Warmer regions should use higher viscosity I live Florida and use 0-w30 in my 2020 xle for at 20 thousand miles now no problems. I always used 0-30 in my 08 rav4 instead of 20 I now have over 600 thousand never had an engine problems.
You can use whatever you want, but I think Toyota knows better about hot Florida weather and how it affects their engines than you or I. The fact that the manual strongly advises draining non-0w-16 oil suggests engine damage, if not then hits to longevity of the motor.

Our engines are calibrated, having tolerances conceived for very thin oil. Adding thicker than required could cause problems far, far after 20,000 when you perceive "no problems".

What oil one uses should never be an emotional decision...its a technical decision...just like wearing masks and social distancing should be a health issue, not a poltical issues.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
166 Posts
You can use whatever you want, but I think Toyota knows better about hot Florida weather and how it affects their engines than you or I. The fact that the manual strongly advises draining non-0w-16 oil suggests engine damage, if not then hits to longevity of the motor.

Our engines are calibrated, having tolerances conceived for very thin oil. Adding thicker than required could cause problems far, far after 20,000 when you perceive "no problems".

What oil one uses should never be an emotional decision...its a technical decision...just like wearing masks and social distancing should be a health issue, not a poltical issues.
You are correct, these Atkinson engines were designed from scratch to use 0W-16

·
Registered
260 Posts
On the same page it also says under more extreme you an oil with a higher viscosity may be more appropriate. I drive around 250 mile a day in hot Florida weather so my situation is different, for everyone else use 16. My mpg when up the first time used moble 1 advanced fuel economy 0-30.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
On the same page it also says under more extreme you an oil with a higher viscosity may be more appropriate. I drive around 250 mile a day in hot Florida weather so my situation is different, for everyone else use 16. My mpg when up the first time used moble 1 advanced fuel economy 0-30.
I see where the OM refers to "extreme load conditions" and "high speeds" but nothing about daily distance traveled in hot weather. What page are you looking at? Are you pulling a trailer while exceeding the posted highway speed limits?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The thing to keep in mind that Toyota recommendation is based moderate Temps of a country as a hold not individual states. Some major shops in Florida won't even use anything less than 30w. I started using amsoil 0w30 in my 08 rav4 early on over 20w but till this day have never had an engine problem with over 635 and still drive 250 miles every other day.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
528 Posts
The thing to keep in mind that Toyota recommendation is based moderate Temps of a country as a hold not individual states. Some major shops in Florida won't even use anything less than 30w. I started using amsoil 0w30 in my 08 rav4 early on over 20w but till this day have never had an engine problem with over 635 and still drive 250 miles every other day.
OK but the '08 RAV does not have an oil pump electrically controlled for pressure and flow rate by the computer which was calibrated in the software for 0-16W like the 5th generation RAVs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well all I can say is my mpg went up which may suggest the engine is operating more efficiently.
And that is Toyota's main priority/concern, mpg, not longevity.

As posted above, many use 0-20/30W in warm climates with no issues.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You nailed it they have epa standards they have to meet. Longevity and engine protection is never mentioned but fuel economy is mentioned often when recommending oil viscosity.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
And that is Toyota's main priority/concern, mpg, not longevity.

As posted above, many use 0-20/30W in warm climates with no issues.
Crap. Toyota's reputation for building cars having "longevity" is one of the primary reasons I keep buying them. Time to look at an Equinox I guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nearly 60 posts on an oil thread and no one has given their Amsoil discount code yet? :)

My local auto part stores do not stock decent 0w-16 oil so I ordered a couple cases of Amsoil. I've changed my oil every 5K with full synthetic for years and plan to contiune to do the same with my new RAV. Heck it's high enough to make it easy to DIY.

other family cars:
2010 Rav4 v6 - 178K mi
2007 Prius - 217K mi

I do not understand the thinking of buying a $30K+ car and skimping on a $80 oil change

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Nearly 60 posts on an oil thread and no one has given their Amsoil discount code yet? :)

My local auto part stores do not stock decent 0w-16 oil so I ordered a couple cases of Amsoil. I've changed my oil every 5K with full synthetic for years and plan to contiune to do the same with my new RAV. Heck it's high enough to make it easy to DIY.

other family cars:
2010 Rav4 v6 - 178K mi
2007 Prius - 217K mi

I do not understand the thinking of buying a $30K+ car and skimping on a $80 oil change
Do you own stock in Jiffy Lube? When did following the OM and Maintenance Guide become considered "skimping"?

"Steve Mazor, manager of American Automobile Association's Research Center, said that more-frequent-than-necessary oil changes will not "gain any additional life for your engine or any improved fuel economy." He added, "In reality it will make little or no difference to the performance of the vehicle."

41 - 60 of 71 Posts