Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
As long its got 0-16 on the label I am good with it, you can argue all day about who makes the best synthetic oil & to have someone to say there's run quieter in the engine than the other I call bullsh*t prove it.
Oils with higher percentages of PAO base oils tend to produce more pronounced lifter noise. Many people over at BIOTG have noticed the difference in sound between running M1EP 0W-20 (70-80% PAO) and M1AFE 0W-20 (30-40% PAO). UOAs look very similar and I’m not implying there is something wrong with a higher PAO base. I just prefer the quieter, oil made by Valvoline. No need to get uppity.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Oils with higher percentages of PAO base oils tend to produce more pronounced lifter noise. Many people over at BIOTG have noticed the difference in sound between running M1EP 0W-20 (70-80% PAO) and M1AFE 0W-20 (30-40% PAO). UOAs look very similar and I’m not implying there is something wrong with a higher PAO base. I just prefer the quieter, oil made by Valvoline. No need to get uppity.
Sorry but I don't buy your explanation about one oil beening quieter than the other. I am not a chemical engineer so for me to argue with you on the make-up of oil would be a lost cause. If you are happy using Valvoline all the power to you, I will have to do some research on which 0-16 oil is quieter to use in my Rav4, as that's the recommended oil to use not 0-20 oil, so I don't miss a golden word when the wife is speaking to me while driving!!!!!

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE AWD
14 Posts
Same issues with my local Toyota dealer in Edmonton, they used 0w20 instead of 0w16 as required, that being the 2021 Rav4's Trail first oil change >> I'm so mad right now, and on top of that in their paperwork my Rav4 trail is a 2021 Tacoma. And this is the dealer I've bout it from :( :(
Which dealer was this ? lets call out these incompetent idiots lol . I'm in Edmonton also . Recently signed papers on a 2021 Rav4 , waiting for the last shipment of 2021's to arrive from the Ontario plant , I bought through Sherwood park Toyota .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There is another thread on this board about dealers being out of bulk 0w-16. Possibly they have no 0w-16 to put in it. There automated system puts the visosity required directly on the work order so its likely not just an error.

I would use it to get another free change at 5000 miles just because you can.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Which dealer was this ? lets call out these incompetent idiots lol . I'm in Edmonton also . Recently signed papers on a 2021 Rav4 , waiting for the last shipment of 2021's to arrive from the Ontario plant , I bought through Sherwood park Toyota .
I brought my 2013 from them great people to deal with, nice service dept. Never feel ripped off by them. Never brought our 2021 vehicle there, as the sales person had moved on. Current sales person I was dealing with was so full of himself I wanted to go into the corner & throw up. So I changed dealerships to purchase 2021. The sales person use to call me at least once a week to see if I ready to pull the trigger on a new purchase one pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 LE
16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
913 Posts
All models have oil-to-coolant heat exchanger (cooler).
Maybe I'm missing or misunderstanding something in that article, but it shows a diagram that says the oil cooler is "optional." A second diagram lists #11 as an oil cooler also--I could not make out if these are two different oil cooling devices. Water Organism Gesture Font Electric blue
Slope Font Urban design Electric blue Pole

·
Registered
2020 rav4 hybrid xse
22 Posts
There is another thread on this board about dealers being out of bulk 0w-16. Possibly they have no 0w-16 to put in it. There automated system puts the visosity required directly on the work order so its likely not just an error.

I would use it to get another free change at 5000 miles just because you can.
What’s strange about this 0w16 shortage is that you can buy the Toyota 0w16 oil on Amazon,

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for dredging up that older thread. So the oil cooler is ONLY installed on hybrid and NOT gas model RAVs--is that correct?
According to the Toyota website, the Adventure / TRD have it (plus some other goodies) Speculation is that its to give those vehicles the enhanced towing capability, but obviously that is purely speculation. Still, there is zero difference from a towing perspective between a Adventure and Limited AWD - which has the reduced tow rating, so its either that cooler, or marketing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I get posts deleted for thread drift so back on topic. Yesterday, I looked on the web for local stores and no one had Mobil 1 0W-16. Napa has a sales promotion (similar price to Walmart) so I assumed I could order some. Nope. However you could get curbside pickup at the store according to the website. Nope. I placed a curbside pickup order anyway wanting to lock into the price and they called me saying it would be available the next day which it was. Purchased 4 of the 5 qt. jugs. Later in the day I was able to order some form Walmart as well, should be here over the weekend. I honestly didn't think any would be available so I was hedging.

I don't know, I waited 2 weeks for a fridge, I couldn't order all Honda Parts for a CRV brake job and now I actually had to order my dog's food online and there was no 0w-16 Mobil 1 available at any retailer in the area. Hope I can stay ahead of these supply chain issues by planning ahead.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I work in medical industry, delivery times we are being given is first quarter 2022, crazy times ahead, if you see or need something today buy it if possible otherwise you might be in for a long wait. More things need to be manufactured in N America, we as consumers need to suck up that pricing otherwise one day our friends across the ocean might cut us off.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts