Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Rav LE and I do my own oil changes. I have always used Mobil 1 motor oil.

I was in my local Walmart the other day and noticed that they have their own brand 0W20 oil. I decided to compare it with the Mobil 1. I found them to be exactly the same. In fact, the only difference was the price. Mobil 1 was around $22 for the 5 qt jug while the Walmart brand was around $14 for the same amount.

I'm thinking of changing from Mobil 1 to the Walmart Tech next oil change. Is Mobil 1 really better?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have used the Walmart brand oil since it came out - no issues at 55k. Went with the SuperTech since I change out every 5k.

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
SuperTech is Super. I always use it unless one of the AP stores has a better oil & filter combo sale.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you really want to obsess over the subject, spend some time over on BITOG forum. There are technical differences in how "synthetic" oils are created. You can construct uniform length chains by breaking down long chains or by building up small chains. And if I was a fleet operator and trying to maximize every dime, I might care to consider such things and weigh out the price of better oils vs change interval. But I'm not, so I don't!

In general, better probably does cost a little bit more. Fortunately, even the lesser products out there today meet or exceed basic industry requirements. So as long as you follow some basic common sense and Toyota's recommendations, engine failure due to mechanical wear is likely to be very low on your list of concerns.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
As long as an oil meets the specs required by Toyota it is fine to use, regardless of price. If two differently branded oils have the same specs they basically are equal. A difference regarding especially multigrade oils would be grade sheer characteristics but Toyota does not include that as a criterion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found them to be exactly the same.
You made this discovery how? By looking? Smelling? Feeling? Tasting? Sorry, all invalid.

The only way to 'know' how an oil is performing in YOUR vehicle is an independant lab test, like Blackstone.

That said, Supertech is a rebrand made by someone else. Just like Toyota oil and oil filters are.

It's fine to use. Nervous? Have the test done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
Largo Bill
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing