Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1” lift strut (oem+)

795 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  06bassrav
So I have been looking to lift my 2008 rav for quite some time and through quite a bit of research, I had found out that a certain company offers a lift kit for the 4.3 that has a lift of the bottom spring perch to allow for larger tires.
The struts in question are bilstein b8 5100
Front left model # 22-310392
Front right model # 22-310408
Throughout my research I learned that bilstein has since seemed to discontinue this product line and replaced it with the new b8 terrasport line.
Front left # 22-328403
Front right # 22-328410
These struts above don’t state that they fit the 4.3s and that they do fit 4.4s
Keep In mind that my application is an awd model, however I don’t know if it makes any difference. I found that a lot of parts that make up the suspension of these two platforms are cross compatible.
The first two part numbers above are the ones I opted to purchase because I was able to track a set down and get them shipped to my house in less than a week, the terrasports appear to be shipping early February 2023 and I didn’t want to wait.
Everything about the b8 5100s are the same as factory as far as mounting to the vehicle and the install went very smoothly and my vehicle gained exactly 1” of front ground clearance and it appears that there is now room for at least a 32” tire (on the strut) however I’m not sure I recommend that large of a tire for 4.3s
Note these parts listed above are a strut ONLY, they do not come with the upper spring land, strut top hat, rubber dust boot, spring, or rubber bump stop. I chose to use all of those parts that were on my car and replace them later and just replace the strut.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2008 rav4 3.5l base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the OEM coil spring sits at a higher position with these struts? Or i got this wrong? Very interesting.

How is the ride with the B8 5100 ?
Correct the factory coils sit up 1” on the strut housing. To me the ride seems better off road over larger faster bumps but a little bit less smooth than factory on chewed up roads, I’m sure this would be less noticeable if I replaced the top hats and all of the front end bushings. As far as I can tell, they’ve never been replaced and the car has 235k on it

· Registered
2008 rav4 3.5l base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this is a year old but just replacing the strut and keeping the stock spring got you a 1" lift?
How's the ride on normal roads?
Yes the b8s give you a 1” lift on factory springs as the lower mount is moved up an inch, therefore making the “knuckle” mounting point and the spring mounting point an inch further apart, adding 1” of lift, gains a whole inch of ground clearance too which is the biggest point to me. Now a larger diameter tire can be fitted because of this as well.
The ride quality seems about the same as factory, which IMO isn’t the best, probably doesn’t help that most of the suspension bushings could use to be replaced.

Off road performance is a bit better though, more progressive rate. Handles larger bumps at speed better, washboard is better than stock as well, so on roads doesn’t seem to be different, off roads is really where these struts excel
I hope that this was helpful!

· Registered
18 Posts
Yes the b8s give you a 1” lift on factory springs as the lower mount is moved up an inch, therefore making the “knuckle” mounting point and the spring mounting point an inch further apart, adding 1” of lift, gains a whole inch of ground clearance too which is the biggest point to me. Now a larger diameter tire can be fitted because of this as well.
The ride quality seems about the same as factory, which IMO isn’t the best, probably doesn’t help that most of the suspension bushings could use to be replaced.

Off road performance is a bit better though, more progressive rate. Handles larger bumps at speed better, washboard is better than stock as well, so on roads doesn’t seem to be different, off roads is really where these struts excel
I hope that this was helpful!
Great info thank you so much.
Also anyone can chime on this...where is a good place to order front end bushing

· Registered
27 Posts
Lower control arm ones maybe, where they meet the subframe? There’s the strut mounts too, not sure I’d call them bushings at all though, basically a bearing. Not many bushings on the front.

I tried to go with B8’s but the rears are just impossible right now. However I was told the fronts are very similar performance wise. The biggest difference is probably that you can use more tire potentially with B8 struts. The B6 and maybe others still have the outer spring retention flange flaring up, stock was down. There’s more room but not a ton.

· Registered
2008 rav4 3.5l base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lower control arm ones maybe, where they meet the subframe? There’s the strut mounts too, not sure I’d call them bushings at all though, basically a bearing. Not many bushings on the front.

I tried to go with B8’s but the rears are just impossible right now. However I was told the fronts are very similar performance wise. The biggest difference is probably that you can use more tire potentially with B8 struts. The B6 and maybe others still have the outer spring retention flange flaring up, stock was down. There’s more room but not a ton.
This isn’t fully true, with stock struts and 235/65-17 I had roughly 1/2” of room between the tire and lower perch, now with the b8 struts I have about 2-1/2 of room between the tire tread and lower perch. Could almost fit 33x10.5s with the strut clearance now.

The top hats have a bearing, which has decided to come apart on me in the past, and a rubber bushing for vibration I believe, I’m going to fab some up using uniballs and I will fab them to lift the car another inch, not sure when I’ll do this but will post about it when I do

· Registered
27 Posts
Stock struts have that lower clearance but the Bilstein’s perch is higher towards the tire as they are made different (and intended for 4.4’s). My B6 isn’t as much clearance as the B8 by an inch though, I’m sure. That still gives me potentially an inch to 1.5, you have 2.5, and the stock Tokicos were probably the same as your stocks. I’ll try to measure mine, when I’m not home I don’t carry a tape.

If you can mill that up with only adding an inch that’s awesome. But I wouldn’t want to add articulation because you want vertical force there, nothing else that isn’t required to turn the wheel (a minor amount of movement and rotation). I think the stiffness of lateral movement aids the lower arm bushings so it doesn’t squish too hard from caster force.

· Registered
2008 rav4 3.5l base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stock struts have that lower clearance but the Bilstein’s perch is higher towards the tire as they are made different (and intended for 4.4’s). My B6 isn’t as much clearance as the B8 by an inch though, I’m sure. That still gives me potentially an inch to 1.5, you have 2.5, and the stock Tokicos were probably the same as your stocks. I’ll try to measure mine, when I’m not home I don’t carry a tape.

If you can mill that up with only adding an inch that’s awesome. But I wouldn’t want to add articulation because you want vertical force there, nothing else that isn’t required to turn the wheel (a minor amount of movement and rotation). I think the stiffness of lateral movement aids the lower arm bushings so it doesn’t squish too hard from caster force.
My bad, I didn’t realize that in you had talked about the b6s in your original post as well as b8s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts