Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 key fob with purchase 2023 RAV4

5259 Views 53 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Schwarzes
I still have not received my new Rav 4. It was delivered to port in California on 11/25 and still has not been processed. The dealer does not know what the delay in processing is so it could be delivered to dealer. Still waiting and getting tired of the lack of any processing and delivery 馃槨. A Mazda sales person said that Toyota is only giving 1 key fob on the new vehicles sold. If that is true we are paying allot more fur the vehicle including dealer mark up and getting less..only 1 key fob. Just checking in to see if that鈥檚 the new norm when buying a new Toyota 馃
  • Wow
Reactions: SueM
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
I know in Canada only one key is being provided for the car.
I don't know why the U.S. Market would get 2 if Canada is not so I would just anticipate receiving only 1 key. It is the new normal. Only been since about October that the 2nd fob is removed from the sale.

There are a few threads about it already but I haven't paid attention to who is in U.S. or Canada.

remember, you reserve the right to not take delivery (you are angry about delays and processing, angry about one key, angry about the price. If it all comes to a head that you feel the value to dollar is not there you are not obligated to take the vehicle.

Registered
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium J-VIN
It鈥檚 kind of a BS move on Toyotas part. If it鈥檚 a supply chain issue, they should give a 2nd key fob when they鈥檙e available. I don鈥檛 use my 2nd key fob, they鈥檙e always brand new when I trade in. But still, BS move.

With that being said, I wouldn鈥檛 let a key fob be the deciding factor when deciding between the Mazda and Toyota. The Mazda may not be missing the 2nd key fob, but it is missing a hybrid powertrain.

Choose the Mazda because you鈥檙e scared of the hybrid connector problem, or you like the way it looks / drives vs the RAV4.

Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
It鈥檚 kind of a BS move on Toyotas part. If it鈥檚 a supply chain issue, they should give a 2nd key fob when they鈥檙e available. I don鈥檛 use my 2nd key fob, they鈥檙e always brand new when I trade in. But still, BS move.

With that being said, I wouldn鈥檛 let a key fob be the deciding factor when deciding between the Mazda and Toyota. The Mazda may not be missing the 2nd key fob, but it is missing a hybrid powertrain.

Choose the Mazda because you鈥檙e scared of the hybrid connector problem, or you like the way it looks / drives vs the RAV4.
Depends. I have my wifes cars second key in my pocket right now because I pulled it out of the garage to wash it. She has my spare key. When we travel we each always a key to the car. Things can happen. Ask a locksmith.

Registered
My 2020 RAV4 Hybrid had 2 key fobs. Our Venza had 2 key fobs. In fact, ever car that I've ever bought had 2 complete sets of keys. May be a "supply chain issue". Frankly I'm getting tired of that excuse for everything. I'd demand 2 key fobs for any new car. Remember, you never get the deal you deserve, you get the deal you negotiate.....

Keith

Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
We purchased our 2022 RAV4 Prime in mid September and received 2 key FOBs. The Sales Associate didn't say anything about a supply chain shortage affecting the key FOB situation (but I can believe it as this has affected many other things).

On our 2021 Mustang Mach E we did get only one key FOB when we took delivery in April 2021 and were told that the "Phone-As-A-Key" would suffice for the additional missing FOB. I purchased a second FOB for my wife on the Internet and paid around $90 and also had to pay to have it programmed ($50). I have since sold my car for the RAV4 but now I hear that Ford IS giving all those without the second FOB an additional one free of charge. There was a lot of bitching going on over this issue and many couldn't get PAAK to work (I was able to get mine to work flawlessly). So this could have been a supply chain issue or they just wanted to save some money. :unsure:

Registered
My advice is to purchase a 2nd key (especially if there are 2 drivers). IF Toyota sends a key soon (or in 6 months), you will have a spare that a lot of people buy anyway.

I do not know the percentage of buyers who purchase a 3rd as a spare. The 3rd key can be programmed by the owner, saving hundreds of programming dollars in the future.
If a person will eventually buy a 3rd key, the complaining on here today accomplishes nothing as they will (maybe??) get the free 3rd key anyway. At the end of the year, the owner has spend the same or less for owning 3 FOB's.

For me that is not going to be of value (I have 2) as I'm the only driver. I bought new batteries for the FOB used on my truck, moved my semi-used batteries from the active FOB to the 2nd FOB that I never used so when I traded the truck it had 2 working FOBs. If I received one, I would for sure purchase a 2nd as much as it would suck.
It sucks more to be locked out of your vehicle on your own property though.

Because of the automakers decision, all we do is complain about it. We also complain about long lead times. Imagine if they sent 60% of the cars they do now in order to provide 2 keys. You guessed it, even more complaints about delays.
I'm not saying money comes easy but if somebody spent $40,000 on a car they have $400 to buy a FOB. Morally it sucks, yes. Again, it's better than being locked out.

I suspect it will get worse IF Toyota starts sending 2 FOBs before February, adding insult to injury for the small number of buyers from October thru January forced to buy a spare.

Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited - Blueprint
My guess is that this is the new "ADM", for them to get more money out of you, scaring you into thinking you are lucky to get 1 whole key, and for a small fee of $250 (without programming) and $500 (with programming) they'll give you the second key, that already came with the vehicle.

I don't buy the whole 1 key thing. Every vehicle I have purchased in this century has had 2 full featured key fobs, and all the Hondas had the extra gray valet key (with immobilizer chip). I usually have a basic key cut and put in a hide a key box somewhere underneath the car, and the extra valet key hidden well inside the car in case of lost keys, since the basic hide a key can't start the cars. It has come in handy for my kids while at college or out of town, getting into the vehicle when locking their keys inside by mistake.

Registered
My guess is that this is the new "ADM", for them to get more money out of you, scaring you into thinking you are lucky to get 1 whole key, and for a small fee of $250 (without programming) and $500 (with programming) they'll give you the second key, that already came with the vehicle.

I don't buy the whole 1 key thing. Every vehicle I have purchased in this century has had 2 full featured key fobs, and all the Hondas had the extra gray valet key (with immobilizer chip). I usually have a basic key cut and put in a hide a key box somewhere underneath the car, and the extra valet key hidden well inside the car in case of lost keys, since the basic hide a key can't start the cars. It has come in handy for my kids while at college or out of town, getting into the vehicle when locking their keys inside by mistake.
I've done a LOT of things in the past decade that I can't do now.

I've never scared only get one key. Without having a single fob, they can't sell me a car. Maybe you miswrote that part but it's silly to think a salesperson is trying to make you feel good about getting even a single FOB.

Registered
I bought a new 2023 Highlander Hybrid last month; our second Toyota Hybrid after a RAV 4 H in 2021(which came with 2 key fobs) . Highlander came with only one key fob. And when the salesperson tried to install the Toyota Remote Start App, (that you have to pay for after one year) ; turned out my Samsung Galaxy 6 cell phone is too old to install the Toyota App. Apparently, my one key fob will start the car remotely ; if it isn't lost. :oops:
I did get a spare metal key, to open a door, if the only key fob is locked inside.

This sticker was stuck to the drivers side passenger window of our new Highlander. Dealer says obtaining the second key fob, is not their problem, and they won't advocate for me. This is "between you and Toyota" . Dealer still wants me to write a glowing review of my purchase experience.
Oh, and the $358 ,on the monroney, I paid for floor matts? Cheap rubber "all season" mats, not the nice plush ones that came with our RAV 4 Hybrid.

Font Terrestrial plant Rectangle Art Thumb

Registered
Remember, neither the mats or lack of FOB are dealership induced.
If your salesperson tossed you a key after you tossed them money, sure then they didn't do a good job.

I gave my sales experience a medium/plus review. They didn't do everything to make me happy. I was happy with my salesman but not as happy with the facility or the process.
I graded each task separately, not as a whole.

I can't ding my selling dealership for the floor mats.
I would prefer to also have carpeted mats for days I don't plan to be dirty on long road trips but that's not the dealerships fault (unless they stole them)

Registered
Wow. Lots of misinformation and disinformation on this thread even after members like Synomenon, Zapatero, Big Bird, etc. have provided explanations.

Here is the letter you will get if your Toyota vehicle is impacted by the current key fab shortage. Hope this will further clarify the Toyota (1) key fab misinformation.

But like many of the threads on this forum, I am sure YouTuber scammer will quick to post a video on this topic to make some money.
Font Parallel Paper Document Symmetry

Registered
The Important Advisory label Dontmind posted above, says
"an additional mechanical key will be provided."
"The key will still allow vehicles to be unlocked and started"

The Smart Key Fob system , (I only received one) with my new Highlander Hybrid, is required to start the car. .
With my new 2023 Highlander Hybrid, I did receive an extra mechanical key. I just tested it.
It allows me to open a door, but certainly won't allow the push button switch to start the engine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts