Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've made a 1" drop on my DSM keeping stock shocks without any problem.

Is it applicable on a RAV4? :?:

I don't know.

But 1", it's not big.

Maybe you will need to re-align.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
OK pancake, I THINK they will work. But, your ride will be like floating. I had a set of Bilstein shocks for stock height springs. I committed the atrocity to install a set of H&R spring that lowered it 1.25 in the front and 1.50 in the back. The front shocks could tolerate this. But the rear shocks were damping like the Titanic. Up and down, up and down. I had to tolerate that for four year until the rear Bilstein were worn out. To top it off, I lost the life time warranty because I install the wrong springs with the wrong shocks. When one of the rear shocks bottomed out. I quickly called Performance Products in Van Nuys, CA. and order two rear Bilstein SPORT shocks. I installed them; these are stiffer shocks to tolerate the 1.50 reduction in height. They worked fine. When you take a curve at speed, they just hop once, and quickly you feel the chassis align with the road and move forward.

Do the research and ask around the net if these springs will work with Stock Shocks. Ask to whom ever you are buying the springs, and get it down on paper, just in case. :wink:

Sometimes our eagerness makes us do some mistakes, sometimes costly mistakes. Invest one time, but the right way.
:wink:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Well, lot of people do this. Have a powerful engine. But they can't control it. Until it's too late. With this I mean that you need to be about to stop a car when you are going fast. You have to be able to maneuver. You have to be able to be legal. Some guys in PR and also in California. Don't move their cars until night time. Their cars are not legal and just use them to race for money.

Any type of car enthusiastic genre, you need money. Their is no way out of it. One thing leads to another. You want a fast car, you have to do the engine but you also have to do the suspension and brakes. You want a car for car shows, you have to spent a ton of money. You want a car a cool sound system, you have to pour money.

You want a fast RAV4, for safety you need to do the suspension, electrical system, brake system. One goes with the other. And you can't do one. All or your friends in the Dodge will laugh at you all the time. It is cruel, but it's the truth.

When I started my project, everyone laugh at me. Until I started to kick their asphalt. What do they say now; "Watchout with the RAV4 it's fast as hell"

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend in a 2005 civic SI with alot done to it wanted to race me last night. I was in my friends car and nowhere near mine. His car has hit 115 I think and it would probably beat mine. Its more of a thing getting my parents to allow me to do these things. I'd probably already have done the intake, radiator cap, and lowering already if it wasn't for them.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
A 1" drop is not really going to make a difference on the stock suspension unless the parts are really worn out, it will just make them last less than they would have with the normal springs...

I am debating also on putting some TRD springs which are a 1" drop on the stocks, but thought of at least changing the inserts up front, consider the rear shocks can be changed anytime without taking the spring out... 8)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
after reading this (as i am looking for suspension components also) I remembered a while back that intrax sells a lowering spring kit for hte RAV4 for about 200-300$ for all 4 corners. I've had a intrax springs on my old corolla, and they were awesome. but i dont know if that will apply to the RAV's kit. Just wanted to throw that out there as another option for anyone looking. (intrax also sells their lowering spring kits on ebay all the time, theres one on there right now at 209$ "buy it now". search for "RAV4" under "parts and accessories" at http://motors.ebay.com )

i also had a quick question, ive got a 98' RAV4 "L" and it said on bilstein's website that their shocks will not fit on the RAV4 "L". any one have an idea as to why that would be?

oh, and eibach no longer produces the kit for the RAV4, tho they still have some they are sending out to their distrubiutors, so you can still find them if you look hard enough. they didnt tell me any stores that are selling them tho :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts