Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 thing I dont like about the OEM remote start

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vigil 
G
#1 ·
It only runs the car for like 5 minutes and shuts off....5 minutes is hardly enough time to warm the RAV even to a point that its defrosting the windshield. I get to busy before I leave to have to remember to start it up again....is there any way the dealer can increase the run time to about 10 minutes before it shuts off....5 minutes is unacceptable where I live.

In fact,after the 5 minutes the temp meter is still on cold. Whats the point in even having a remote start.

#3 ·
I have the aftermarket (but dealer installed) alarm w/ remote start. It runs for 12 minutes before shutting off.

Personally, I like using the remote start just to have the car running and the engine warmed up for just a few minutes. I try not to let it just run for the full time. I'm just looking to take the chill off the engine block before I pull away and let it warm up properly by being in motion rather than through idling.

Reasons I don't like letting it run for the full time limit:
A - Letting it run and idle that long uses lots of gas
B - Doing so creates excessive idle exhaust which is nasty to breath, and for the environment
C - An engine warms up best when moving, not when idling. If anything, over the long term of it's life, letting an engine warm up via idling vs. running will cause more wear and tear than is normal

Just my .02 cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.