Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mapping out my install of an Excalibur RS-X60-EDP+ remote starter with a Fortin bypass module into my 2008 Rav4 LE.

I think I've got everything figured out except for the starter #2 coming off the ignition harness which the install tip sheet says needs a relay which wasn't included. I've read that some folks just connect the same module lead to both starter #1 and starter #2 without a relay -- are there downsides to that? Has anyone gone through this type of install that could shed some definitive light here?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Generally speaking, if a relay is needed, then the load has a heavier current draw than the switch (module) can handle. It might work a few times, but the load will certainly burn up the switch (module) in a short period of time.

Reactions: substatica

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally speaking, if a relay is needed, then the load has a heavier current draw than the switch (module) can handle. It might work a few times, but the load will certainly burn up the switch (module) in a short period of time.
So, the safe bet is a relay but the splice would work at the risk of frying the module. I guess no short cut for me.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i installed a remote starter on my 2010 sport last year...rs 160 edp i think...if i remember correctly i had to connect #2 starter wire to the same wire (from the rav) as the #1 starter wire...i did not use a relay and it was not in the instructions to do it that way, but i have done many remote starters and something unexpected always pops up...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts