Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I've owned my 2019 RAV4 XSE in Pearly white for 1 year and driving 20,000km and man it has been fun. I remember pulling up to the dealership in my 12 year old Volvo wagon with the two kids to see this so fresh and so clean vehicle at the main entrance in all its shiny splendour gleaming in the sun." Is that it- is that it!!! NO WAAAAAY - Let's gooooo!!!!! "is what they kids was saying . I was like "yaa that's our new car baby!" and guess what - one year later we still enamoured!

To say the the 2019 Rav4 is now commonplace is an understatement. But the XSE Pearl white with the Black Top still stands out judging by the second looks I notice getting. I have only seen about 3 others in North Toronto in this flavour. The two tone colour scheme seems to have staying power in the style department and I don't regret choosing this colour at all.

Three months into ownership I got into a accident after never been in a accident my whole 25 year driving life. It wasn't bad I was parked in a lot and was reversing and front end went into another that was parked way to close to me. Anyhow the bumper was scratched revealing the blackness of the plastic bumper underneath and at the top metal portion above the wheel and closer to the headlights was a bend into the metal it was $2500 Insurance claim. Being at home now I just took it into the garage. Will take around 5days to fix. I just hope with the pearl white paint and all It will still be a repair I won't notice. I did discover a thing called "Rail Dust/Fallout" if you drive over train tracks tiny metal particles may fly up and stick to your paint and then you see tiny orange spots which is it actually rusting. You need a special cleaner and clay block to remove. My dealer told me what it was as I thought initially it was a paint flaw.

The Rav4 drives great for what it is. It's not giving the illusion that it's a Lexus. It is almost exactly what I paid for... errr well besides the fuel tank issue. I know it's the most talked about thing on this forum but guess what - I don't really care that much that it exists. I figured how to fill it above the line and not be bothered. Just fill the tank slower - yaa squeeze the nozzle less when getting closer to full or after halfway there. When I go to the gas station I always get a full tank as I like going less and I never wait to light to come on to get gas. What can I say, I like to live my life stress free. Listen- I like to get what I pay for and I overstated certain people's issues with the gas tank but cmon when do you ever get exactly what you pay for with anything. It's like and Apple gadget - you pay a little bit more over the competing brands within the same category for a little bit more reliability, peace of mind, performance, warranty, The shortcomings of this vehicle is so minimal compared to what it delivers I think you's just got to chill with what you got. If a Toyota fix comes great, if not then I decide where I spend my money next time. The dealership replaced my driving mode switch as it became slack and a fan that brought the air into cabin as it squeaked as part of warranty.

The only couple things I don't like are as follows. The lights in the door for switches are way to low - I can't see them in the dark at all. The lights for ceilings, the button placement makes no sense I struggle to find the button every time in the dark. why could the actual light be a press button. The door handle up front is placed too close to the front of car so it's not easy to leverage the door to close without effort. The balance is a little off. You do get use to that though. You just think after making cars for this long these basics should be considered before the design sign off.

The Rav4 drivability on city roads is comfortable as is highways. Everyone in the family is happy with it including dog who got use to lying down on the vegan leather seats. I will consider getting all terrain tires when these wear out as I think the rugged look would suit it. The tires are wearing well for putting on 20k kilometres on them. I was pleasantly surprised with the tires and how the RAV4 performed with them being all season. I had no issues driving within the speed limits and being an extra cautious driver when the climate calls for it. Doing spring cleaning was a chore to get the salt out of the carpet below the pedals but all in all the vehicle cleaned up pretty well.

I have had no side window vibration issue, no noise issue. Yes, I can see that the metal is thin on the doors and yes some plastic parts are very plasticky, but again this is not the Lexus. The stereo works fine with CarPlay I always use. the heating and cooling is fine as are the controls. I have done regular maintenance at the dealership and have not been alerted to anything abnormal.

At this point, I would buy another one in a few years after the next sheet metal upgrade. I would most likely keep this one and pass on to my kids if it does behave as it should you know being reliable for years to come. If I do upgrade my vehicle because my lifestyle and financial situation improves I would graduate to a Lexus where buttons/door handle might be placed better, less plasticky and even more peace of mind knowing everything should work better. But for now I am content living within my means and in the moment with my humble Hybrid Rav4.

Attachments

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
402 Posts
To say the the 2019 Rav4 is now commonplace is an understatement. But the XSE Pearl white with the Black Top still stands out judging by the second looks I notice getting. I have only seen about 3 others in North Toronto in this flavour. The two tone colour scheme seems to have staying power in the style department and I don't regret choosing this colour at all.
Good read and glad you're enjoying it! I may have seen you on the road or on the DVP at some point, only seen 2 in the panda colour scheme so far 🍻

The Rav4 drives great for what it is. It's not giving the illusion that it's a Lexus. It is almost exactly what I paid for... errr well besides the fuel tank issue.
But you can make it into a Lexus - I rolled at this comment lol. It reminded me of this oddity I encountered on instagram recently. It's from Japan, but all I can say is..... why?:ROFLMAO:
*look closely at the vanity cover ;)
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.05.17 PM.png

·
Registered
55 Posts
My biggest gripe, by far is that there is literally no where to rest the right leg and food, and avoid interfering with the accelerator pedal when the cruise control is on. If only there was flat floorspace to the right of the pedal
Otherwise, pretty much loving my RAV4hv.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good read and glad you're enjoying it! I may have seen you on the road or on the DVP at some point, only seen 2 in the panda colour scheme so far 🍻

But you can make it into a Lexus - I rolled at this comment lol. It reminded me of this oddity I encountered on instagram recently. It's from Japan, but all I can say is..... why?:ROFLMAO:
*look closely at the vanity cover ;)
View attachment 151290
Really! Is that what I really see? Seriously for real? How is that even possible?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for this excellent personal review Don. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I’m almost a month into ownership of RAV and hope in a year I will still be as satisfied as you are now.

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2013 Prius 4 with Solar Pkg
2012 Prius 4
2012 Prius v 5 with Panorama & ATP

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for this excellent personal review Don. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I’m almost a month into ownership of RAV and hope in a year I will still be as satisfied as you are now.

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2012 Prius 4
I think you will be happy because especially because you have been enjoying Prius cars in the past and kind of know what to expect from Toyota. Since you are only one month into ownership, I'm not sure if you have had the pleasure of the gas mileage depending if you get to 0 degrees Celsius or not. My gas mileage has taken a hit with colder temperatures and with the warm weather it will get to optimal efficiency. I didn't know when the cold came that I would lose the efficiency until after I read up about it and now I perfectly understand. I guess this was the same in the Prius? One of the things I like is how smooth transition from the Electric Motor to the ICE. You don't even notice it as the shifting is so smooth. I have friends and family who have tested out the vehicle and it's not what they expected- they are pleasantly surprised that they don't have to do anything different to drive the car. This is my first hybrid and for me to know I have such an interesting concept of a vehicle working is a pleasure. I really didn't feel that I was getting anything interesting in the other cars I test drove being ICE only.

What colour do you have? Are you planning on doing anything to personalize it?

I am thinking of the wind deflectors and the coin tray.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you will be happy because especially because you have been enjoying Prius cars in the past and kind of know what to expect from Toyota. Since you are only one month into ownership, I'm not sure if you have had the pleasure of the gas mileage depending if you get to 0 degrees Celsius or not. My gas mileage has taken a hit with colder temperatures and with the warm weather it will get to optimal efficiency. I didn't know when the cold came that I would lose the efficiency until after I read up about it and now I perfectly understand. I guess this was the same in the Prius? One of the things I like is how smooth transition from the Electric Motor to the ICE. You don't even notice it as the shifting is so smooth. I have friends and family who have tested out the vehicle and it's not what they expected- they are pleasantly surprised that they don't have to do anything different to drive the car. This is my first hybrid and for me to know I have such an interesting concept of a vehicle working is a pleasure. I really didn't feel that I was getting anything interesting in the other cars I test drove being ICE only.

What colour do you have? Are you planning on doing anything to personalize it?

I am thinking of the wind deflectors and the coin tray.
2 of our Prius are Blizzard Pearl
1 Prius is black
My RAV is Blizzard Pearl
And not in my signature is a Lexus which is also Blizzard Pearl (or whatever it was called at the time)

I plan to have the windows tinted once the the world returns to normal.
Also considering the driver door button swap

That’s about all the mods I need.

You’re correct: Having several other hybrids over the last few years, I am well acquainted with their quirks and fuel economy fluctuation with temperature changes.

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2012 Prius 4

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my car back from dealership having fixed my front end within 3 days after saying at least 5 days to do. I love when the under promise and over deliver. The repair is spotless on front end can't even tell there was damage as it should be I guess! I ordered a smoke grey 6 piece wind visor for the windows on eBay and a coin tray for console box. These are the first upgrades I will do to personalize it. I almost got the chrome underside moulding but changed mind at last minute as they take away from the clean black look under the white body. I think I will also change the some of the inside trim to carbon fibre ones. I'm a little excited to personalize now can you tell? I just hate to waste parts that are already good- so I might wait for some more wear on it- don't think I could resell them. I would like there to be function as well not just aesthetic then I change parts. So will hope to add the matching door gaurd moldings, and a stronger sounding horn and eventually would like to do the THULE EVO roof rack in all black as the way it looks is so cool and perhaps it would push me to become more adventurous! I like to add a little at time to keep the excitement going over time for a little refresh- much like doing home improvement things on a regular basis. Will post pics when installed on a interior/ exterior different thread.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts