Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in the owner's manual that a 10% blend of Ethanol fuel is acceptable, but not much other info there to understand the positives or negatives of using this fuel over the long term.

I am on a temporary work assignment in southern Illinois, US that has this fuel (that is rated at 89 octane) everywhere. This is the corn belt of the USA. It is priced at about $.08 per gal. lower than the 87 octane dino fuel.

I like the idea of using 89 and the lower price, but wonder if there are long term consequences. Any comments or useful links?

·
Registered
422 Posts
All the fuel here in SE Wisconsin has been "up to 10%" ethanol for a long time. I also haven't noticed any effects, negative or positive, from it.

Becky

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think there would be a problem since the owner's manual said it was o.k., but I am new to using this type of fuel and was leary.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Out here in Southern California all the 76 (Unocal/Union 76) stations sell gas blends for all three octane levels that contain ethanol--without any completely "dino fuel" versions. I've been using that in my RAV about 75% of the time (based on whether I buy gas near work vs. near home) for several years, and I haven't noticed any ill effects. I suppose it could lead to slightly more frequent replacement of rubber gaskets or hoses, but that hasn't happened yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts