Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People,

I need some help regarding a crack on front windshield which appeared one day.
The crack is from the top to the middle on the passenger side.
I am sure it is not from a stone and looks like a very thin line.
We got this car around two months ago.

Can somebody please let me know whether the dealer covers it if it is a manufacturing defect.

[Please find the picture in the attachment]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Unless the car is essentially brand new (you haven't listed year & mileage) I doubt it's covered. If it was one of my vehicles it would be under the full glass coverage I always get with my car insurance. I've probably had half a dozen windshields replaced over the years.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's a stress fracture. If it's a cold night and the sun comes up rapidly and hits the car it can happen. It is an assembly defect. They should use more and more flexible glue to set the glass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a stress fracture. If it's a cold night and the sun comes up rapidly and hits the car it can happen. It is an assembly defect. They should use more and more flexible glue to set the glass.
I agree, I've seen this happen when I was in charge of a car pool, we were clearing the snow from the vehicule and one of our privates started up one of our vans with the heat at max and once it warmed up we heard a loud CRACK! and there was a crack going from side to side....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since your Profile lists your RAV as year 2017 it would seem that the cracked windshield should be covered by your 36 month, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, unless the crack has been caused by an impact. The basic warranty states that coverage is for all components, except for normal wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ya, I would agree that it is quite possibly an assembly issue, but it is going to be an uphill fight to get it replaced.

Dealer was $700 to replace the glass on my wife's '15. Safelite would have been $400, but I wanted factory glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts